Turkey - a real turkey?

Could there be anything worse for the youth vote than trying to ban iPhones, that should get the young Turks triggered
Elections are rigged in Turkey. Any fule kno that. Erdogan will probably receive at least 100% of the next vote.

Contagion's a funny old thing and yer man is oblivious to the ripple effect and indirect contagion in particular. He wishes disaster on others so he can say "I told you so" without being aware of how integrated it all is.
This can be taken back to the ninth post on this thread where I said:
So those who are shrugging and saying that "it's none of my concern" may be in for an unpleasant shock when the EU comes around rattling their tin for another bank bail out.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/turkey-a-real-turkey.285185/post-8737836

Events in Turkey have multiple ways of affecting people in the UK via
  • direct losses by UK banks,
  • the impact on UK trade with Turkey,
  • losses by EU banks having an effect on the international financial system which then affects the UK (recall how important finance is to the UK economy),
  • secondary effects on Greece which push them back into crisis which then have the same effects as above, but with Greece instead of Turkey,
  • the flow of refugees from the Middle East who would be less likely to stop in Turkey (and there are millions of them there now).

I will skip over the military-strategic consequences of the loss of an ally who has a footprint which reaches into the Middle East, the southern Caucasus, and Central Asia, as that sort of discussion seems to make some people's eyes glaze over.

I will however summarize the situation by saying that of all the mid sized countries on the periphery of Europe, Turkey is the one in which bad things would have the greatest negative impact on the lives of people in the UK even if they themselves have no interest in the country.

There may not be a lot that we can do to help the situation in Turkey, but we should be very careful not to make it worse.

Please don't ruin this thread.
Appologies to all.

It would certainly seem that Erdogan needs no help in his present course of action.
Events in Turkey have multiple ways of affecting people in the UK via
  • direct losses by UK banks,
  • the impact on UK trade with Turkey,
  • losses by EU banks having an effect on the international financial system which then affects the UK (recall how important finance is to the UK economy),
  • secondary effects on Greece which push them back into crisis which then have the same effects as above, but with Greece instead of Turkey,
  • the flow of refugees from the Middle East who would be less likely to stop in Turkey (and there are millions of them there now).
Erdogan has set on a course almost diametrically opposite to the man he blames for the attempted coup and it is interesting to see where Gulen was heading although at one time a possible ally of Erdogans.
What is Turkey's Gulen movement?

Somehow one might almost wish that the coup had succeeded, though many would still claim it was encouraged and then prematurely set of by Erdogan to give him the excuse to wipe out all opposition to his quest for absolute control...which he now has.

Problem is that his intended path is certainly is not very Eurocentric...now that Turkey’s human rights seem not to have altered, and EU membership remains in doubt.

Last edited:
American pastor en route home to U.S.: lawyer | Reuters
Reports that the US Pastor freed by a Turkish Court is already on his way back to the US:
American pastor Andrew Brunson is on a plane home to the United States after a Turkish court ruled he should be released, according to lawyer representing his family.

“We’re grateful to the president, members of Congress and diplomatic leaders who continued to put pressure on Turkey to secure the freedom of Pastor Brunson,” said lawyer Jay Sekulow in a statement. “The fact that he is now on a plane to the United States can only be viewed as a significant victory for Pastor Brunson and his family.”

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
It ought to be beyond belief (but sadly isn't) that the EU is even thinking of admitting Turkey given Turkey's attitude to Human Rights.

A big chunk of the pads quarters for The Lik are based outside the wire. Random arrests of commuting airmen/women on trumped up charges could occur as a side effect of not getting the named individuals.

Interesting that when I was there, the 'threat' was from PKK targeting Government forces, and associates. Now the threat is the Government
You’re a few years OOD. No one lives outside the wire and there’s been no families there for three years.

I know a couple of those USAF personnel cited in the court papers. Col Red Walker served on exchange in the RAF and was the US base commander at Incilik when there was the attempted coup. And it’s is a Turkish base; Turkish officials have full access to it.

Last edited:
Elections are rigged in Turkey. Any fule kno that. Erdogan will probably receive at least 100% of the next vote.
Err, no. You might want to read the reports of the various independent election monitors of the April 2017 referendum or of this years presidential election. Not necessarily fair on the run up (which much of the media under AKP influence) but from what my colleagues saw, the election and the counting was run properly. There was a concern about the ballot papers during the general election, but no evidence of gerrymandering.

Given Trump's reaction to the apparent state-conducted Saudi assassination (can't allow that to get in the way of business), I'm sure he'd have no hesitation in dropping the Kurds to further any business interest with Turkey (eg, F35).

Given Trump's reaction to the apparent state-conducted Saudi assassination (can't allow that to get in the way of business), I'm sure he'd have no hesitation in dropping the Kurds to further any business interest with Turkey (eg, F35).
I doubt Trump would want to reestablish the deal he killed to sell the F35 to Turkey. But he must be wrong about something, even if at this point he hasn't managed to naively push the Turks to Putan's complete embrace. Don't worry, he is sure to screw up something. Eventually.

Turkey’s investigation into the disappearance of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi has revealed recordings made on his Apple Watch purportedly indicating he was tortured and killed, a Turkish newspaper reported on Saturday. Reuters
I was just wondering how Turkish Intelligence got hold of an audio record of the alleged killing without admitting to bugging the Saudi Embassy. When the above is released.

Turkey obtains recordings of Saudi journalist's purported killing - paper | Reuters

Given Don's America first mantra and that he never deviates from that (ok, his actions might undermine the notion but in his head everything he does puts America first) then that is an isolationist mentality.

Given that he is deluded enough to imagine that he can achieve this all along with homeland security does he really give think he needs NATO or care about it? Maybe to him Europe and the ME can go to hell in a handcart squabbling and failing together, not his problem right? The Syrian refugees are never going to row as far the the US borders right?

As long as he gets SA trade (they have the money after all) then jobbed jobbed for him.

Given Don's America first mantra and that he never deviates from that (ok, his actions might undermine the notion but in his head everything he does puts America first) then that is an isolationist mentality.

Given that he is deluded enough to imagine that he can achieve this all along with homeland security does he really give think he needs NATO or care about it? Maybe to him Europe and the ME can go to hell in a handcart squabbling and failing together, not his problem right? The Syrian refugees are never going to row as far the the US borders right?

As long as he gets SA trade (they have the money after all) then jobbed jobbed for him.
I blame the Treaty of Lausanne.

Latest Threads