tunnels

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by pentopjim, Dec 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sorry if this seems like a totally stupid question but do RE still keep the the old tunnelling skills from the first world war just in case? just curious

2. Do they fuck you lunatic! :D

It's not taught on any courses at any rate.

3. i forgot to mention ive had a few whiskeys an been reading about sappers in the first world war on the net. hence the curiosity and bone question. imagination goes off on 1 when ive had a few

4. I seem to remember miners were conscripted to actually dig the tunnels.
    Some old Sapper or educated person will provide a link that confirms this.

5. They were. And they were paid a lot more money as well!

6. I could be wrong (I often am) but I think the last dedicated Tunneling Troop ceased to exist when 32 Fortress Squadron moved from Gib to Ripon and became an ordinary field squadron sometime in the early 60s. The Tunnel Troop was used in the campaign against EOKA in Cyprus in the 50s and that may well have been their last action.

Though considering that we retain the capability to measure the ground using bits of wood and that German G10 stores were scaled for measel shaft keys long after most of them had been concreted over, there's probably some bloke somehwere who's tasked with being familiar with a tunneling pam last updated in the Sudan!

7. Wedge, I know someone who's dad was part of that, they left to become a miner in civvy street in tin and salt mines.

8. When I was going through my A2 svy course, I do recall the A1's doing tunnel surveys at Fort Amherst. The applicability of which to current ops I have no clue.

9. The only tunnelling I ever did was muff diving.

10. 'ang on a minute. 33 are taught shafting (no, really) which is vertical tunnelling. And if you bugger up yer shaft location you might have to dig a "heading" which is a tunnel off a shaft.

11. The Aussie ones were too, Thats where the term Digger came from, mostly from the mines in the Goldfields in Western Australia- Goldfields Regiment

12. And what great fun it is too :wink:

13. And deserved every penny.

14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)