Tunes of glory - film (1960)

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by björn, Sep 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. Pop into hmv spend £7 and you can watch it on the big telly instead

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

It is on movies for men all the time

3. Watched Tunes of Glory again over the weekend on Spike.

Always find it a good watch and enjoy the film.

Never having been in the forces I wouldn't have experienced 'mess life' but would the scenario of officers forming cliques the way they did in the film ever occur in real life?

I know the story has been written for dramatic effect but the screenwriter apparently used to serve in a Scottish regiment, so either he either saw some of this for real or just used it as a backdrop and device for setting up an intrigue and backbiting narrative.

4. I suppose that it fluctuated from regiment to regiment, but as I understand it, National Service officers (by their very nature, junior subalterns, in any case) were considered as 'birds of passage' and not, therefore, accorded much consideration.

In the case of Tunes of Glory it was a battle of conflicting snobberies. Jock had made it up through the ranks in a way that would have been rare in peacetime. He was popular with most of his officers, who appreciated his latitude with regard to form and stuffiness. Lt Col Barrow was far more old school and appointed as CO, no doubt, to knock the battalion into shape during more relaxed peacetime conditions. Both Colonels, in their own way, were ridden with snobbery and a tendency to bullying. It was just a matter of who blinked first.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Much more relaxed now.As long as one doesn't make a faux pas with the biscuits for coffee....:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Looks like in the intervening 9 years since that original post, You Tube has taken down the movie - at least in it's original incarnation. It may have been re-posted since by someone else. I agree though; it is a good movie with John Mills and Alec Guiness at loggerheads as to who is going to set the tone of a fine old Scottish regiment.

I have no personal experience of Scottish officers messes, but the Sergeants & WO messes have dramas and cliques galore so I can't think why officers would be any different. :? A lad has to be very careful how he treads in certain areas. :-D

Scottish dancing.jpg

7. A great film and amazing acting. Another to look out for 'Paths of Glory' ...Kirk Douglas as his best.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Barrow also suffered massively from PTSD - he was on 'special ops' and was captured by the Japanese, subsequently derided by Jock Sinclair as "officers' privileges and amateur theatricals".

Barrow described it as "Then I was in the prison camp, they nearly drowned me, then they brought me round. Then they put a wet cloth over my mouth and kept it wet until I nearly drowned again. And the only thing that pulled me through was the thought that one day I'd come back and sit in the middle of that table as colonel of this battalion, like my grandfather and his father before him. Only I was going to be the best of the lot.".

Probably my favourite war film - even though there is no 'war' in it.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Duncan Macrae in the middle there - a good friend of my Dad.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Barrow may have been "old school" and seen as a more suitable CO for peacetime conditions, but in the story his background was in "special duties" and he had been tortured as a prisoner of the Japanese; Sinclair assumed that as an officer Barrow would have received easy treatment from the Japs. Perhaps one way in which Barrow was "old school" was because he had not served in the regiment since the 1930s, and understood it in those terms.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yes I can imagine that it could fluctuate between regiments and it would depend upon the personalities (I guess).

I got the reasons for the tensions within the film but the undermining of the colonel's authority became quite open to my mind and I wondered how prevalent that would be. I suppose there's no reason why it couldn't happen and it would be down to leadership and man management.

12. I like that one too. Each time I watch it I'm more impressed with it and pick up on detail and nuance I missed before.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The radio play is also excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  14. One of my all time favorite films. Have been right up to the attic of the Castle to visit an old RHQ on occasion way back when- stunning views.