Tumbledown

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Ambrose_Silk, Jan 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been trying for several years now to find a copy of this 1988 BBC film on DVD or, for that matter, in any format. Curiously, with all of the furor and controversy it caused, it does not appear to be anywhere. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Speaking of the film and the subject matter, I would love to hear thoughts and comments from other soldiers who may remember this old piece and be of the Falklands War "generation".

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I might have it on a tape somewhere.Cant promise anything but i'll have a look.
    Spi

3. I have it on tape but have never watched it! I can probably dig it out for you.

Another of the rare dramas on the Falklands was one about the Scots Guardsman that was reported Missing in Action then turned up alive weeks later and got a hard time because it was believed that he had gone AWOL. Tom Bell played his father, but I forget what it was called.

4. Think that was called "Summer Soldier", I remember reading the book years ago.

5. The screenplay for Tumbledown was adapted from a book by Robert Lawrence M.C titled When The Fighting Is Over and is a good account of what happened and how even posh ruperts can get shafted by the system.

6. .........and what an utterly crap book it was!

7. I agree that John and Robert Lawrence's book is an unusually compelling account of the fighting and of the injured man's subsequent struggle, regardless of whether one shares their particular perspective. It's one of the most honest accounts of war that I have come across. Even Colin Firth claimed that psychologically this was the most demanding role he's ever played.

8. The film was called "Resurrected" with David Thewlis.

"Tumbledown" was a great drama, and the book was excellent. If you have satellite/digital etc, then UK Drama show it now and then.

9. Tumbledown was on UKTV Drama just last year. Knowing these stations tendancy to repeat things it could well make a reaperance soon.

Regards LT.