Tuesday's Events and Recruitment

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by serve_to_lead2011, Mar 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Obviously Tuesday's news was a big shock to everyone (RIP all the brave guys), do you reckon that there will be a noticeable number of people who, be they officer or soldier, who are thinking of applying, are applying or are even starting training at RMAS/Caterick etc who will drop out/not join up because of the news? Or will there be no noticeable affect on recruitment/retention?

I do not mean this in a disrespectful way or mean to offend any body...
  2. The 398 who've died out there before them didn't. Neither did the 200 odd in Iraq.

It wasn't disrespectful. It was a breathtakingly stupid question though.
  3. Why are you asking? are you having second doubts?
  4. You do know soldiers can die in wars right??? Or do you think its like Hollywood and people get up afterwards. Its a clue that it might be a slightly hazardous profession in the fact that they give you a gun. It also shows that stupid questions do get asked still.
  5. On a personal level, yes I do know that people die during war time and I've got to go to university before I'm joining up, so no this has nothing to do with me.

All I was getting at was that there used to be a time when casualties and deaths happened very very frequently and the rates have dropped somewhat. I was wondering if this could have led applicants or those in training to think there was less risk than there might have been previously. This is a sharp reminder that the risks have not gone down.

I accept what you guys are saying though.
  6. I would hope that any applicant to the army, be they officer or soldier, would have taken into consideration that people do occasionally get killed in wars. And the death rate might have dropped a little bit until but from what I can gather casualties figures are still running fairly rampant.

Anyone who was unaware of this is a retard and anyone who has decided to reevaluate their options since Tuesday's deaths is a coward.
  7. I can see the point you are trying to raise; with the onset of a "Call of Duty" culture and the glamorisation of war and its intricacies. The impression that some people may obtain is shrouded from the fact that death is a risk factor within the role.

Although, by some people I mean ******* delinquents who have just so happened to escape the wrath of Darwin's natural selection process.
    • Like Like x 1

8. This has to be my ARRSE quote of the day. Belly laughed when I read this.
  9. Do try to grow up a little before you get to Sandhurst please. It smacks of immature bravado to start chucking around statements like this. Is it cowardly to re-asses your motivations and personal abilities before coming to sandhurst? Or is it a sensible moral decision which will mean British soldiers don't end up one day with a commander who is not committed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Well said. Some people clearly cannot differentiate between a rational reconsideration and an act of cowardice.
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I think it is an interesting question and one that we'll probably never know the answer to (unless there are any analysts of recruiting trends out there).

What I think is true, as several have already mentioned, is that such events may well have an influence on the type of individual who does decide to join up. They will also have an effect on the 'gatekeepers', mothers especially.
  12. You're right. Given the power of hindsight I could have probably worded this a bit better. From my own personal standpoint though I would feel pretty crap if I was to back out of it because of the risk of being killed or injured. Still I realise that the same may not apply for everyone (although I'm assuming/ hoping that for the vast majority of applicants it does) and some people might think twice about it. If they do then that's probably a good thing as, like you say, it'd be a pretty massive mistake for them to carry on and one day possibly have to lead soldiers in combat if they were having serious doubts about what they're doing.

Still I stand by what I said to begin with that anyone who is only just now taking into account the risk of death or injury is either dangerously unaware of things or extremely naive.

Also I suppose the real display of cowardice would be to go through with joining anyway even though you had serious doubts and eventually end up putting the lives of others at risk.

Anyway what do I know? I might one day get shot at and realise I'm shit scared and cry "wibble" so who am I to judge? Cheers for the well deserved put down...
  13. Not meant to be a put down as such, just a reminder to think about things before you say them.
  14. Having had my mother raise the issue of being killed or seriously injured I can understand where you're coming from. But it's a fact that everybody who so much as walks into a careers office should be aware of.

I read a while back that recruitment did suffer due to the rate of casualties when we were fighting in both Iraq and Afghanistan (and a former colleague withdrew his application due to Iraq).

To put it simply I think it will have a negative effect on recruitment but will save the Army a lot of time and effort in weeding out the people who have no time joining up anyway.
    • Like Like x 1