Tucanos in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by jim24, Jan 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The US Air Force will buy twenty A-29 Super Tucano aircraft from Brazil's aircraft manufacturer Embraer to be used in Afghanistan, reports say.

The 20 aircraft that cost US$ 355m will be used in flight training and reconnaissance in Afghanistan.

Ground training devices to support pilot training and all maintenance and supply requirements for the aircraft will also be provided by the Brazilian company.

"We are committed to pursuing our US investment strategy and to delivering the A-29 Super Tucano on schedule and within the budget," Luiz Carlos Aguiar, CEO of Embraer Defence and Security, said in the statement.

Reports say that the new Afghan Air Force will use the planes to conduct advanced flight training, aerial reconnaissance and light air support operations by partner nations.

According to Embraer, the A-29 Super Tucano was built for counterinsurgency missions and is currently used by five air forces.

It comes as training programmes for Afghan security forces have been intensified to make them capable of maintaining security in the country after foreign troops' withdrawal by the end of 2014.

US to Buy 20 War Planes from Brazil for Afghan Mission
  2. Well the Tucano is the ideal platform for COIN support...why we don't use it (cheaper than Fast Jet, longer battlefield presence etc) is beyond me. But the RAF need their mach 2 toys don't they?
  3. Unarmoured and barely armed bullet magnets.

I wonder how long before the first one proves yet again why slow prop planes vs MANPADS are a very bad idea?
    • Like Like x 4
  4. So the Americans have bought some advanced trainers for the Afghan Air Force, that can also be used as a cheap way of dropping bombs on recalcitrant villages?

Call me an old sceptic, but I think the Afghan Air Force buying into the F-35 wasn't really on the cards, was it..?
  5. Built under license in Belfast, by traditional methods (ie, one wing sometimes longer than the one on the other side, mis-matching panels between airframes due to 'fettling') as a trainer, flogged-about at low-level for donkey's years and getting tired, and we can't afford any new ones for use during what's left of our presence in Afg. Additionally, the subject has been done to death on here before. Buy more ammo for Apache.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. you going to answer the question i asked you today?
    why are you targeting women online again?i'll keep following you, run but you cant hide
  7. Is he 'unleashing the dogs of ARRSE' again?
  8. he's dogs barking in his head i think, i have my roll mats on my arms but i'm not naked tonight
  9. ah, FLASH TO BANG !!! no sorry, i was chasing the war winner for something else
  10. Would you prefer he stalk you? Are you after some Welsh cock?
  11. will you stop bringing logic into it tommyhutch? Every armchair expert here knows that all you need are a load of unarmoured trainers, hey Duxford's got a Sky Raider, why not throw that in? No manpad/AAA threat in area after all!

12. Plenty of Occifers in the US Army are pinning great hopes on this latest CAS panacea.

13. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Surely by handing over Tucano to the nascent AAF we are just giving them cheap shite that we'll barely have to support... hopefully.