Tsunami warning for New Zealand ***UPDATE - Tsunami activity cancelled***

1614894391445.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nature has it's way, crow about missing out on Covid, then expect a frigging great tidal wave to get rid of the excess population!

From NZ Coastguard FB page:
1614895813388.png

Coastguard New Zealand

Like This Page · 48 mins ·

Update 09:49, 05 March 2021: This is a Tsunami Warning for New Zealand coastal areas following the magnitude 8.1 earthquake near KERMADEC ISLANDS REGION. See NZ Civil Defence for more.

AREAS UNDER LAND AND MARINE WARNING:

Coastal inundation (flooding of land areas) is expected in the following areas:
➡ The West Coast of the North Island from CAPE REINGA to AHIPARA.

➡ The East Coast of the North Island from CAPE REINGA to WHANGAREI, from MATATA to TOLAGA BAY including Whakatane and Opotiki.

➡ GREAT BARRIER ISLAND.

Strong and unusual currents and unpredictable surges near the shore are expected in the following areas. This means a threat to beach, harbour, estuary and small boat activities.

➡The West Coast of the North Island from AHIPARA to MAKARA including the West Coast of Auckland, Manukau Harbour, New Plymouth, Whanganui and the Kapiti Coast.

➡ The East Coast of the North Island from WHANGAREI to MATATA including Whangarei, the East Coast of Auckland, Waiheke Island, Waitemata Harbour and Tauranga, from TOLAGA BAY to LAKE FERRY including Gisborne and Napier.

➡ The West and South Coasts of the South Island from FAREWELL SPIT to PUYSEGUR POINT including Westport, Greymouth and Hokitika.

➡ The top of the South Island from FAREWELL SPIT to PORT UNDERWOOD including Nelson, Picton and the Marlborough Sounds.

➡ The East and South Coasts of the South Island from the WAIPARA RIVER to the RAKAIA RIVER including Christchurch and Banks Peninsula, from the TAIERI RIVER to PUYSEGUR POINT including Invercargill.

➡ STEWART ISLAND.

➡ The CHATHAM ISLANDS.

My wife is seriously worried as she has a brother and his family in Christchurch, south island, The reoccurring Quakes foretell something big brewing.
How fortunate. To be married to an earthquake expert. Is she called Karen by any chance?

I live right on the coast in the Bay of Plenty and we received the warning by phone at about 1015.
There does not appear to be any mass evacuation as far as I can see.
Always though, there are a few idiots who go down to the beach so they can watch the tsunami, if one arrives.
When the warning arrived I was at the local supermarket/shopping centre which is about 3m ASL and it was just normal jogging on, I would have thought that even if just for the staff's safety that they would have shut down, but no.

One observer is in a safe place, not seeing a tsunami at the moment but tugging of boats due to water movement. One thing he thought unusual was the seagulls have gone quiet. What he may not be aware of is that there have been a succession of M5+ aftershocks under the Kermadec Islands and off of Gisborne.

1614897258756.png

I live right on the coast in the Bay of Plenty and we received the warning by phone at about 1015.
There does not appear to be any mass evacuation as far as I can see.
Always though, there are a few idiots who go down to the beach so they can watch the tsunami, if one arrives.
When the warning arrived I was at the local supermarket/shopping centre which is about 3m ASL and it was just normal jogging on, I would have thought that even if just for the staff's safety that they would have shut down, but no.

In most supermarkets, staff safety is regarded as significantly less important than lost sales.

Tolaga Bay - witness says high tide seemed like low tide. a series of quakes of M5+ occured off of Gisborne so this may be related but it could also be related to the Kermadec islands.

Diko

Old-Salt
My brother and his family live in Henderson a suburb of Auckland. I have tried to Messenger him but nothing.

I live in Rangitane which is in the Kerikeri Inlet, Bay of Islands. Am about 100m from waters edge but 30m above sea level so just on cusp of tsunami zone. Don't think I'll be taking the kayak out for a spot of fishing today ;-)

Latest Threads