Tsunami Pic's

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Jan 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stunned!

2. Why, oh why, did they just stand there and watch it :(

3. Because, alas, people are by and large idiots. The Hawaii tsunami had the same result. Recent well documented volcanic eruptions with LOTS of warning and officials hunting down folks to force evacuations still had the same results. There are always those who will stand and stare at their imminent destruction. Denial, probably.

4. Ohhh now honey lets just watch this 12ft high wall of water heading streight for us and see if it hits!!! Dooo Dumb as abox of nails!!!!!!!

D.D. :evil:

5. Especially without a surfboard! :D

6. Be fair, guys, at least some of 'em thought to take their umbrellas 8O

7. I never did credit the majority of the human race with much CDF but I didn’t think they would demonstrate such stupidity in the face of the obvious. The penultimate photograph of the sequence seems to show the (about to become) victims, smiling and giggling as they leg it, rather than showing belated fear, concern or terror. ‘It’s still a jolly game, we’ll just get wet’. Sea water weighs over a tonne per cubic metre, this sea water in moving at speed and is full of debris. You lose. I feel sorry for the kid on her father’s(?) shoulders. The rest are muppets.

Now, consider the bleating of those who think that the US Geological Survey should have (could have) warned the region of the tsunami in order to allow people to get to high ground and safety. Yeah, right. More like give them time to collect their families and go like lemming like to certain death.

It is still a tragedy.

8. Stupid is as stupid does. :x

SK

9. We now live in an age of such technological advancement we don't actually think for ourselves in the majority of cases.
    The pictures/tragedy shows that.
    We will quite literally in a large majority of cases wait until the very last moment to act while searching for instructions from the source that we depend on most, our government and the agencies that inform it.
    There are many prime examples of people staying until to late and the government later having been proven to hold information that could have and should have been used to inform them thus preventing lose of lives.

Again this is a horrible sad situation.

Beebs

10. The problem is, this hasn't happened in living memory. It also didn't fit with most peoples image of a tidal wave. To the locals, who maybe hadn't even heard about the earthquake a thousand miles away, it was just the sea behaving strangely, maybe an unusually high tide. Until it was too late....

Happily however, in the final shot people appear to still be there. Perhaps the height of the wave was the result of it hitting what appears to be a sea wall and rearing up. It certainly wasn't still steaming inland remorselessly as we've seen on some of the camcorder footage.

It was the seafront single-storey shanti towns that took the brunt in most places. Being only feet from the beach, they were swept away by the surge whilst a lot of the residents were probably still in bed. It quite simply doesn't even bear thinking about.

11. Noticed that some of the folk were taking photographs, as people might do at home when they see a big wave approaching the promenade.

Then again, whoever took these photographs was doing the same thing... froma safer position, as it turns out, thank goodness.

One hopes that most of the stills and video shown on the media were taken by people who were in no immediate position to help, or had themselves not yet taken in what was happening.

Mind you, even MY famous patience and good humour might have started to leave me if I was trying to hang on to something down on the flooded veranda, and other punters were calmly filming me from their balconies. :roll:

12. Don't see why this is a point. Further, the Hawaii Tsunami qualifies as within "living memory". Film of the same thing. Gawkers getting hit by the wave.

Nature, doing it's best to fascinate.

13. It is a point because if the same had happened ten years ago, they would have legged it this time. And more to the point, how many people in Asia have seen the Hawaii Tsunami? I'm going with not many.