Tst

Hi, my first post. I'm 35 and just applied to join my local reservist centre. I'll hopefully be joining the 102 battalion in Rotherham and training as a VM. I've just took the mock technical test online and obviously haven't seen a test like this in years. However I did manage to score 18/28 (on the second attempt mind). When I take the test for real, will I have use of a calculator or pen and paper because I need to get the old grey matter up to speed. Also I sent my medical questionnaire back in 3 days ago and still haven't heard anything, is this normal?

I only got 22 and I was a VM Tiffy:relax:, was 20 odd years ago though.

Its the factorisations and decimalisation divisonalitions , I'm sure all we did at GCSE level was something to do with Simons apples and taking them off him.

feygan

Clanker
The TST is really a piece of piss, I did mine in December and we were given the following.
1. A question booklet (not to be marked in anyway
2. An answer sheet, this consisted of the question number followed by A, B, C, D and you simply mark the correct answer.
3. A pen
4. A blank sheet to do as you please with, do workings out, draw tits and dicks etc etc.
5. A calculator.

I am also 35 and I am guessing like yourself have done bugger all real theory type maths since leaving school, it is worth brushing up on it by going over some of the GCSE revision sites as you may find there is some new stuff there you might not have covered at school (I know my GCSE maths did not cover a couple of the questions).. Generally though if you have done more with your brain in the past 20 years than remember who to vote for on strictly then it is not hard at all. The fact you get a calculator makes the entire process a joke. In essence at least the first half it takes as long to do it in your head and on paper as to use the calculator, after that it is simply a case of do you understand how to do the equation correctly, the ability to work it out doesn't matter as the calculator does that for you. It all comes down to silly stuff like do you understand the order in which to do certain equations, or do you know the way to work out a volume etc etc.

All in all you get 55 questions and 45 minutes to complete the test, even the top jobs only need a score of 21 or over. If you allow for the fact that you are likely to already have at least a C in maths or you wouldn't being going for a technical job, then you will probably work out at least 15 of them in your head easily, after that you could fek off the questions and make pretty patterns on the answer sheet and still get at least 20 on a law of average with the multiple choices. I was worried about this part up to my selection day as I haven't done theory maths for years, when I got handed a calculator I had to try my best not to laugh.

Also if you do have your C grades unless you get a clipboard of a selection staff then you will skip doing the basic maths test too which is handy.

Pretty sure I didn't get a c at school but can vaguely remember having to bump up my results at college to be allowed onto my joinery course. Now I've had a look at the test I'm feeling a little better about it, but your right a lot of the stuff in the test we didn't touch at school. Also like you said your handed a calculator, so how can I fail.

Latest Threads