Trying to Trace Ex Force in Belize?

Anyone deploy for the Emergency in July 1977. The Guats were threatening to invade (again). The Garrison was reinforced by a Squadron of Harriers, and I think an Infantry Battalion. The threat was ramped up when the Guats loaded their only running tank, an M3 Grant, onto the back of a low loader outside the Presidential Palace in Guatemala City, and drove up to the Guat Engineer Camp just below the Cadenas OP (Punta Melchior Mendez?). They unloaded the tank, it drove along the road parallel to the OP, and then it was promptly re-loaded onto the trailer before being driven off back to Guatemala City.

I think 3 Queens were the resident unit at the time.

Unfortunately, at 63, I cant remember the Operational Name given for the reinforcement.
Um yeah thats when I think I was there. The inf was the QOH I don't know which mob but their motto was Quiddich n Rye or something. They were replaced by the Queens whilst I was there.

I spent Christmas day on stunning white sand beach close to Punta Gorda' drinking Rum and coke and shagging a stunning light skinned, grey eyed West Indian girl calledDawn. Mmmmmm she was loverly.

wheel

LE
Anyone deploy for the Emergency in July 1977. The Guats were threatening to invade (again). The Garrison was reinforced by a Squadron of Harriers, and I think an Infantry Battalion. The threat was ramped up when the Guats loaded their only running tank, an M3 Grant, onto the back of a low loader outside the Presidential Palace in Guatemala City, and drove up to the Guat Engineer Camp just below the Cadenas OP (Punta Melchior Mendez?). They unloaded the tank, it drove along the road parallel to the OP, and then it was promptly re-loaded onto the trailer before being driven off back to Guatemala City.

I think 3 Queens were the resident unit at the time.

Unfortunately, at 63, I cant remember the Operational Name given for the reinforcement.
It was 1st Bn Staffordshire Regiment. They were Spearhead Battalion.

Um yeah thats when I think I was there. The inf was the QOH I don't know which mob but their motto was Quiddich n Rye or something. They were replaced by the Queens whilst I was there.

I spent Christmas day on stunning white sand beach close to Punta Gorda' drinking Rum and coke and shagging a stunning light skinned, grey eyed West Indian girl calledDawn. Mmmmmm she was loverly.

Corrected that for you EOD Matt

That would be the Queens Own Highlanders (QO Hldrs) not the Queens Own Hussars (QOH)

The Motto of the QO Hldrs was Cuidich n Righ (Help the King)

Corrected that for you EOD Matt

That would be the Queens Own Highlanders (QO Hldrs) not the Queens Own Hussars (QOH)

The Motto of the QO Hldrs was Cuidich n Righ (Help the King)
Ah yes thanks for that. I remember also that the officers all had sticks for catching snakes, which they called Cromachs or some such.

Ah yes thanks for that. I remember also that the officers all had sticks for catching snakes, which they called Cromachs or some such.

The Cromach is a traditional long walking stick with a crook handle, originally used by shepherds to control their flock. The officers in a few of the old Highland Battalions (Seaforths and Camerons@Queens Own Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Black Watch and I think the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as well) traditionally carried the Cromach, certainly during the 60s and 70s, in much the same way as RTR officers carried the ashplant.

The Cromach is a traditional long walking stick with a crook handle, originally used by shepherds to control their flock. The officers in a few of the old Highland Battalions (Seaforths and Camerons@Queens Own Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Black Watch and I think the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as well) traditionally carried the Cromach, certainly during the 60s and 70s, in much the same way as RTR officers carried the ashplant.
Oh these didn't have a crook handle though

Oh these didn't have a crook handle though

The cromach comes in a number of different lengths and styles, some officers incorporated a crook with a decorative design in Ivory, but some examples are shown below. Are you sure it wasn't a traditional Blackthorn Stick?

Cromach

argyllshirestewards.jpg

Scotland20091201.jpg

Blackthorn Stick circa WW1 ?

g1376_11_2.jpg

Their sticks were quite slim and had a Y shaped top.

The cromach comes in a number of different lengths and styles, some officers incorporated a crook with a decorative design in Ivory, but some examples are shown below. Are you sure it wasn't a traditional Blackthorn Stick?

Cromach

argyllshirestewards.jpg

Scotland20091201.jpg

Blackthorn Stick circa WW1 ?

g1376_11_2.jpg
What an ugly bunch of ******* in that first photo, no wonder the Indians ran at Seringapetam!

You could leave the sticks behind the bar at the Rose Garden, alongside the watches, if you couldn't afford to settle your tab for a shag until the next day... Apparently.

As I recall, there was a poster in the Guardroom at APC showing photos of indigenous Belizian girls who, apart from being pig ugly and cheap, were infected with the pox and other contagious diseases. I believe the MO used to make weekly trips to Raouls and the Big C to regularly test the girls. Personally, I found the Colombian girls in the Big C to be cleaner and more accommodating.

As I recall, there was a poster in the Guardroom at APC showing photos of indigenous Belizian girls who, apart from being pig ugly and cheap, were infected with the pox and other contagious diseases. I believe the MO used to make weekly trips to Raouls and the Big C to regularly test the girls. Personally, I found the Colombian girls in the Big C to be cleaner and more accommodating.

Not quite the MO but a medic Cpl. Used to do it before the Sun came up with a "legalised Army brothel" story about it so the checks were stopped. Even larger queues at the STD clinic by the end of the week.
If you asked where such and such was (usually Maria or Sonia) you could be told "No work this week. She has the "off the road disease"".

Not quite the MO but a medic Cpl. Used to do it before the Sun came up with a "legalised Army brothel" story about it so the checks were stopped. Even larger queues at the STD clinic by the end of the week.
If you asked where such and such was (usually Maria or Sonia) you could be told "No work this week. She has the "off the road disease"".