Trying to Trace an ancestor in the French Army

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tartan_Smudger, Dec 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a long shot, I know, but I am having difficulty tracing an ancestor who was a Colonel of the 1st Lancers (Northern Army) in France around the period of the formation of Belgium 1831 and the subsequent and very short civil war.

It would appear he was a junior Officer at Borodino (1812), again 1st Regt Chasseurs a Cheval. Other than that very sketchy info. I am just after a link to French army records or contact details with researchers in this field.

I don't have a name for the chap. That's the problem. Only that we know this much info. As he was at Borodino, there's a chance he was a Legion of Honour recipient.

Any help gratefully received.

2. Try Les Invalides or La Musee de l'Armee in Paris.

If your ancestor did these things he would have been a hero by the mid C19th. There can't have been many Borodino veterans who then survived the retreat from Moscow! Napoleonic surviovors might be known to Les Invalides.

The names of the COs of the French army's units should be known from the 1830s. This is more a question to ask "La Deriaire" than "ARRSE"

3. Try writing to:

Direction du Personnel Militaire de l'Armée de Terre
    14 rue Saint Dominique
    75997 Paris Armées
    France

Musée national de la Légion d'Honneur et des Ordres de Chevalerie
    2 rue de Bellechasse
    75007 Paris
    France

4. Cheers Guys,

At least it gives me some leads. :wink:

5. i think there is a link on iwm wesbite for research - or they should be able to advise generally

6. Oh and don't forget to tell us how you got on and details of your illustrious, albeit a bit French, forebear!

7. Approach the French Military Archives at the Chateau de Vincennes - best start is through the French Military Attaché.

8. And I was always thinking "Good job I'm a Brit" and now it looks like I might have relations in France! :roll:

9. You will never look at a White Flag in the same way :D