Trying to source some Cold War era ORP

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Alright you crusty bar stewards?

I'm trying to get my hands on an old and bold 24hr compo pack, anything probably pre-1990 I imagine to properly show a comparison to modern day ORP (I'm working on an ORP Vs MRE review and thought I'd see if I could do an old ORP Vs new ORP for comparison as well).

Can someone provide a list of what you would've got in a pre 1990 24hr 1 man pack and more importantly, have any of you lot got one still sealed tucked away? Whilst you can normally find a lot of vintage rations, I'm struggling to source any old British ORP.

Muchos thankee.

I'm trying to get my hands on an old and bold 24hr compo pack, anything probably pre-1990 I imagine to properly show a comparison to modern day ORP (I'm working on an ORP Vs MRE review and thought I'd see if I could do an old ORP Vs new ORP for comparison as well).

Can someone provide a list of what you would've got in a pre 1990 24hr 1 man pack and more importantly, have any of you lot got one still sealed tucked away? Whilst you can normally find a lot of vintage rations, I'm struggling to source any old British ORP.

Muchos thankee.
Unfortunately not pre 90's but 90's era, and it's going to go for a silly price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/british-army-24-hour-ration-pack-GP-Old-Style-Gulf-War-91-2010-Rare-Item-Menu-D/183773430908?hash=item2ac9c0047c:g:D38AAOSwflBcsmLv

Muchos thankee.
Theres a bloke on Ebay who compares old/new/different country's rations - might be worth a search.

Can someone provide a list of what you would've got in a pre 1990 24hr 1 man pack
Breakfast : Rolled oats, apple flakes

Main Meals : Babies heids, Chicken Curry, Minced Beef

Biscuits : Arrse Blocking white, Arrse Blocking brown and Arrse Blocking fruit & good old Cheese Possessed.

Sweeties : Spangles, Dextrose tablets, Chocolate,

Misc Items : Can opener, bog paper, matches

I seem to remember that there was about 8 menu's, we seemed to be limited to 3. I think the pads were nicking the decent menu's to feed their wives and offspring :D:D

All came wrapped in a lovely presentation box

images.jpg

** Stewed Steak, Rolo's & boiled sweets **

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I recall menus up to F at one time but by 81 we were down to A to D menus in the 24 hour kits. We had shedloads of surplus artic compo in NI of all places for Rurals which was a mare and when I left in 92 we still didn't have the chicken in brown sauce rubbish that replaced the decent chicken curry I loved.
@clayp1g is the man to get compo from, he lives off the stuff!

Breakfast : Rolled oats, apple flakes

Main Meals : Babies heids, Chicken Curry, Minced Beef

Biscuits : Arrse Blocking white, Arrse Blocking brown and Arrse Blocking fruit & good old Cheese Possessed.

Sweeties : Spangles, Dextrose tablets, Chocolate,

Misc Items : Can opener, bog paper, matches

I seem to remember that there was about 8 menu's, we seemed to be limited to 3. I think the pads were nicking the decent menu's to feed their wives and offspring :D:D

All came wrapped in a lovely presentation box

View attachment 388767

** Stewed Steak, Rolo's & boiled sweets **
Not forgetting coffee, tea, beef extract, soup, screech, tracing paper bog roll, and a wee packet of matches normal and windproof.

9A3B0EB9-A816-4F04-90B4-FB9E16BA2738.jpeg

E2A: The chocolate was in a white wrapper from memory

Last edited:
Not forgetting coffee, tea, beef extract, soup, screech, tracing paper bog roll, and a wee packet of matches normal and windproof.
And the range card template printed on the box!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Whilst you can normally find a lot of vintage rations, I'm struggling to source any old British ORP.
There is a site (but I am too lazy to search) where someone samples vintage rations, including some stuff from WW1!

Mid to late 80’s as boil in the bag started arriving in about ‘89 or so:

Theres a bloke on Ebay who compares old/new/different country's rations - might be worth a search.
This is the bloke. Steve1989MREInfoo

His British examples inclued Boer war and current but not the OP's requested period unfortunately.

ETA Found this review of a 1980s rat pack by a different bloke. Some missing items have been mentioned in the comments below the YouTube post.

ETA 2 - This second video review is later than OPs period but interesting. Michael Green compares a pack from 2018 with a pack from 2003. As he notes, there seems to have been a move away from an over reliance on sugars and chocolate in 15 years.

Here's Steve again, this time with a rat pack from 1997.
Some great comments. Yes that choc was great.

1555753155897.png

British 24 Hour Ration Packs | MRE Info

Last edited:

Just_plain_you

War Hero
The person who realised that you could randomise the menus in a box of ten should have been given a medal. Who can forget a whole exercise of living on menu A?

Don't remember the dextrose tablets or (bottom left) rice ?
Rest, yup.
I do, pretty disgusting the dextrose tablets and were the same on later iterations as well. The rice came with the chicken curry (stringy chicken’ish). Menu A (from memory) which was generally the one I tried to avoid if possible

Horlicks tablets, yum ;-)

Latest Threads