• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Trying to identify the original song

Whilst driving home in the snow from good old bonnie Scotland at new years I heard a song on one of the more classically inclined stations which sounded very much like...

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/antsgo.htm

This jogged a memory where I was almost certain I'd heard the same base tune as another stand alone piece.

So to the more musically inclined out there I ask this, is the backing tune to the ants go marching actually a classic piece? And if so which one?

Antphilip

The tune comes from the American Civil War and was sung by the Confederate soldiers. I think it is called "When Jonny comes marching home" So I guess it is a classic piece being about 140 years old.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
FARMBOY said:
Antphilip

The tune comes from the American Civil War and was sung by the Confederate soldiers. I think it is called "When Jonny comes marching home" So I guess it is a classic piece being about 140 years old.
Is this a Wah! or is that not "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", Shirley?

Or a meringue? Or is my memory going with age and I should be listening to Radio Gaga?

AlienFTM said:
FARMBOY said:
Antphilip

Is this a Wah! or is that not "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", Shirley?

Or a meringue? Or is my memory going with age and I should be listening to Radio Gaga?
No it is definately not "the battle hymn... etc" I have that already.

Latest Threads