Trying to identify the original song

Whilst driving home in the snow from good old bonnie Scotland at new years I heard a song on one of the more classically inclined stations which sounded very much like...

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/antsgo.htm

This jogged a memory where I was almost certain I'd heard the same base tune as another stand alone piece.

So to the more musically inclined out there I ask this, is the backing tune to the ants go marching actually a classic piece? And if so which one?

Antphilip

The tune comes from the American Civil War and was sung by the Confederate soldiers. I think it is called "When Jonny comes marching home" So I guess it is a classic piece being about 140 years old.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
FARMBOY said:
Antphilip

The tune comes from the American Civil War and was sung by the Confederate soldiers. I think it is called "When Jonny comes marching home" So I guess it is a classic piece being about 140 years old.
Is this a Wah! or is that not "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", Shirley?

Or a meringue? Or is my memory going with age and I should be listening to Radio Gaga?

AlienFTM said:
FARMBOY said:
Antphilip

Is this a Wah! or is that not "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", Shirley?

Or a meringue? Or is my memory going with age and I should be listening to Radio Gaga?
No it is definately not "the battle hymn... etc" I have that already.

You're all wrong! It's the Weetabix tune!

MsG