Trying to ID a Unit from a group photograph.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RocksRock, Oct 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While digging through family history I was surprised to find a photograph of an Army unit with my Grandfather in it, (5th row, 3rd From left). What's bothersome is that there are no records of any military service for him, (both he and my Grandmother died in 1945 leaving my father and Uncle orphaned as young teens).

Factors I have considered are:-

1. That my Great Grandfather had been a Sergeant in the Lancashire Fusiliers

2. My Grandfather lived his entire life in Lancashire, (Chadderton/Middleton).

3. Grandfather was born in January 1900 so it is quite possible that he was called up in 1918.

4. The cap badge does not look like the Lancashire Fusiliers.

5. Many of the men are wearing medal ribbonsand are clearly adults thus ruling out this being some sort of cadet unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. This looks like a mounted sub unit. The man sitting at the front is holding what looks to be a trumpet rather han a bugle and the sergeant sitting at the end of the second row is clearly wearing riding breeches. I would also think it is a TA unit between the wars rather than a regular unit. The background looks more like a drill hall than a barracks and they have managed to muster only 57 all ranks for the sub unit photograph. So possible candidates are a squadron of DLOY or a battery of the Lancashire Hussars who were then serving in an arty role. There might be others, it would be worth researching locally what monted TA units had drill halls in Chadderton/Middleton. I think the DLOY had at least one squadron in Manchester.
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I can't help much, but would say the two senior chaps at the front with the interesting trousers are visiting chaps and the one to their left in the picture is a MA or Bde Maj type (different badges). The one with the cane is the commander.

Having just watched the Ian Hislop jobbie on BBC, I'm rather touched by the hands on shoulders in the rear ranks.

The other bloke with a cane on the left and a Sam Browne is probably the 2IC. I see 4 sergeants in the first seated row and one other person, rank unknown, towards the left. So, yes, a squadron.

If I were a betting man, I'd say this may be after the end of the war.

The lanyard could be artillery.
  4. You are right about the instrument, it is a cavalry trumpet.

The 2 sergeants on either end of row 2 seem to have farrier badges above their tapes.
  5. It looks to me that the tom front rank 3rd from (our) right is wearing jodphurs as well - some kind of reinforcement on the inside of his knees
  6. The bloke with the cane 4th from our right 2nd row appears to have some type of Warrant Officers insignia at the bottom of his sleeves, IIRC WW1 (and after) WO1s wore a small brass royal coat of arms rather than the larger cloth badge that we are now familiar with.

The chap 4th from our left 2nd row also seems to have some type of badge at the bottom of his left sleeve as well but it does look like a cloth one.
  7. They're both WO1s - hence the SD with Sam Brownes.
  8. From memory.....

The old TAC in Rifle Street Oldham was the home to one of the companies of 4 Para.

Prior to this the Oldham TAC was home to a TA RTR Sqn, could this RTR Sqn be descended from a local TA Cav Sqn?
  9. Brotherton Lad

Blimey, visited there in '91 with the man Leask. Doesn't look familiar.

I'd go architecturally for a late 19th century depot.
  10. I know what you mean but I wouldn't rule Oldham TAC out especially as it is very close to Chadderton and Middleton.

That said, there were TACs all over the place in those days even up in the villages of Saddleworth.
  11. To answer my own question, no.

The 41st and 47th (Oldham) RTR was a conversion from the Manchester Regiment.
  12. HHH

HHH LE

Would the photo be of 2 units as some have lanyards and some don't?
  13. Which would explain the two WO1s and differing cap badges, some of which look like RE to my tired eyes.
  14. Brotherton Lad

Could it be a photo of a Regt HQ? Just trying to make sense of the mix of badges and the relative age of the blokes.
  15. In 1910 Northern Cavalry Brigade HQ was established at Burniston Barracks, Scalby Mills, Scarborough, and was therefore the 18 Hussars Headquarters.

Might be 18th Hussars?