Try This!!!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by StevenPreece, Apr 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the Supermarket today and bought some goods. I gave the checkout operator a 20 pound note. She held it up and checked for the silver line in it. She gave me my change, a 10 pound note, a five pound note and a few coppers. I took them from her and held them up, checked the silver lines in them and then bit the coins between my teeth. :eek:

"Yes, they're real." I said, thanking her.

She had a face like a fiddle and was totally unsuited. Yet I was only doing what they do, with the same vested interest.

Try it and you'll see what I mean. :D

Steve

2. Did something similar at the bookies last week, had a good win and they tried to pay me out £400 in 50s I refused them and asked for 20s just as they had refused a 50 from me a couple of days earlier stating "Compnay Policy".

3. To be honest all this holding notes up to the light is useless. The standards of forgeries are so high that good ones will contain the correct watermarks and silver strips.

The only thing that is unobtainable is the paper so most forged notes are detected by feel, especially as they start to wear. Obviously after this the serial numbers etc are checked but the main indicator, to bank staff is the feel of the notes.

To bring this slightly back on topic, yes it is annoying that checkout morons assume everything in their till is kosher. You can always laugh when they hold the notes up and tell them that forgeries have watermarks and silver strips as well so they are wasting their time. They sort of just sit there and dribble for a bit then ignore you completely and keep checking them.

4. Making a mark with the UV pen on any note I offer p*sses me off as well. Especially if it's just come out of an ATM. I get the impression they don't actually know why they are doing it but as RWAC says, "...company policy."

5. I actually said "Compnay policy" as I am a useless typist. B3 clerks course my ARRSE.

6. I was being too gentlemanly to point that out. As you have fifty pound notes to be betting with I thought I'd keep on the right side of you.

7. Slightly off the mark but it was always me, last week of the month, at the front of the long looong que, tipping a huge plastic bag of 2's, 1's, and 5's onto the Naafi counter to pay for 12 Stella, a sausage roll and some Kiwi !! Shop assistants loved me !!

8. We dared my mate to try buy a dvd in 1s and 2s. The girl wouldn't accept it, my mate who is useless at arguing phoned me to come in. In which I had a little conversation with the silly bitch. Needless to say we came away with our DVD and pockets a lot lighter.

Get some silly people who don't accept change even though its legal tender. Its like trying to use Scottish notes down south sometimes, same arguement occurs, same outcome (normally)

9. Actually, they're in the right if they refuse.

From Wikipedia:

"In the 19th century, gold coins were legal tender to any amount, silver coins were not legal tender for sums over 2 pounds, nor bronze for sums over 1 shilling.

This provision was retained in revised form at the introduction of decimal currency, and the Coinage Act 1971 laid down that coins denominated above 10 pence became legal tender for payment not exceeding 10 pounds, coins denominated not more than 10 pence became legal tender for payment not exceeding 5 pounds, and bronze coins became legal tender for payment not exceeding 20 pence.

Legal Tender in England and Wales
    See also: Banknotes of the pound sterling

Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales and are issued for in the amount of £5, £10, £20 and £50. United Kingdom coinage is legal tender, but in limited amounts for coins below £1.[5] [6]

Legal Tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland

Scottish notes are not legal tender anywhere in the UK, including Scotland where only the coins are legal tender. Although this is the case, Scottish notes are widely accepted in return for goods throughout the UK; they have a similar legal standing to cheques or debit cards, in that their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. [6][7]

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, some banks have the right to issue their own banknotes. These circulate freely alongside Bank of England notes and have the same value. The Currency and Bank Notes Act 1954 defined Bank of England notes of less than £5 in value as legal tender in Scotland.[7] Since the English £1 note was removed from circulation in 1988, this leaves a legal curiosity in Scots law whereby there is no paper legal tender in Scotland; this is also true for Northern Ireland. The acceptance of English or Scottish banknotes in Scotland and Northern Ireland is a matter for agreement between the parties involved.[7]

Creditors are obliged to accept any "reasonable" settlement of the debt, be it banknotes (Scottish, English or otherwise), coins, cheques or even (in theory) property. In the event of a dispute, it would fall to a court to decide what "reasonable" meant in the circumstances.[7]

Coinage throughout the whole UK

In the United Kingdom, only coins valued 1 pound Sterling, 2 pounds, and 5 pounds Sterling are legal tender in unlimited amounts throughout the territory of the United Kingdom. In accordance with the Coinage Act 1971,[8] gold sovereigns are also legal tender for any amount. The face values of sovereigns are 50p, £1, £2 and £5; their value in material worth is much higher. The United Kingdom legislation that introduced the 1 pound coin left no United Kingdom-wide legal tender banknote.

Currently, 20 pence pieces, 25 pence coins and 50 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 10 pounds; 5 pence pieces and 10 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 5 pounds; and 1 penny pieces and 2 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 20 pence.[9]"

Of course, most people will accept them as long as you aren't being a complete cnut and winding them up.

Edited to add: As Wikipedia isn't always reliable, you can find a more authoritative source here to support it: Royal Mint legal tender guidelines

10. Have a look at http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/policies/legal_tender_guidelines.aspx for the legal nature of 'legal tender' and the rules relating to coins. Then have a look at the introduction to the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender on 'invitation to treat'.

My understanding of all this is that a shop keeper operating a self-service system can refuse to sell you anything at all when you get to the till, without reference to 'legal tender' or anything else.

11. I ws very interested to note on the Royal Mint site that "In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender it is necessary, for example, actually to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded."

I wonder if that could be enforced in real life?

"That'll be Three Pounds fifty please"
    "Here's a tenner"
    "OK, thanks"
    "..Erm... where's my change?"
    "What change? You can't demand any"

Comments?