Try this, it tastes great!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Legs, Mar 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mash some potatoes. Add a splash of milk, a knob of butter, an egg and a decent spoonful of Philadelphia*. It should be fairly sloppy.

Line a muffin tin with bacon. Add the sloppy mashed potato to the bacon lined muffin tin. Top with a pinch of grated cheese.

Stick it in a very hot oven for about 30 mins.

When cooked it easily lifts from the muffin tin. Watch out though, because the heat retention factor is high! Tastes wonderful!

*Other cream cheeses are available

2. What do you call this concoction?

Sounds 'interesting' :)

3. I dunno. I sort of made it up as I went along.

4. My Mum used to do a similar thing with the bacon but the filling was corned beef hash, it was blooming great hot or cold cut in slices, and in doing this she could get a tin of corned dog feed about six people

5. On a similar note:

If you use the wrong spuds or get carried away with the butter/milk and end up with your mash resembling something half way between wallpaper paste and tiling grout, fear not...

Simply add some - back of the cupboard magic - with powdered PAXO sage and onion stuffing - and your now, trademark: "English herb-mash" will be soon legendary amongst the neighbours and desperate hangers' on...

6. Legs, when you say muffin tin, you mean the tins that have 12 or so individual little wells? So you're ending up with lots of individual ones rather than a big one?

7. Yes, that's right - but the deep ones, not the shallow 'fairy cake' tins.

8. I may make a batch of these for Weymouth!! As they sound fairly easy to do!!

TPBD.

9. Hmmm. Like off beat ideas like this. Must give it a go.

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Up here in the North, we call this dish 'Minge'.

Most of us learned it at our Mammy's knee.

11. I just ate a bowl of Smash.