"Try Not To Laugh, Sergeant Major"` - anyone read it?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by usmarox, Nov 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...because if you have, I'm wondering if there are any other books that deal with the same topic - the day-to-day of BAOR during the Cold War.

Feeling a bit nostalgic at the moment... 8O
  2. Read it and have a copy................somewhere, although a little old and dog eared these days.

Shall have to ask the old man actually about cold war era stuff as it's more his time.

Shall let you know.
  3. The book's in front of me now.

Try "Brasso, Blanco and Bull" (Paperback) by Tony Thorne - set in the National Service 1950's, but still pertinent.
  4. Had a little look and the following suggested

Across the Blocs: Cold War cultural and social history - Page 137
    by Patrick (EDT) Major, Rana Mitter - 2004 - 178 pages
    Then there were the political developments in the Cold War, especially a relaxation
    of ... Black humour challenges the very premises of Cold War debate. ...
    Limited preview - Table of Contents - First page - Index - About this book
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It may seem obvious, but make sure that you read their other book as well, about the Falklands;

Don't Cry for me Sergeant-Major
  6. Slightly out of context; but for those who appreciate tales of squaddiedom then you can't beat Spike Milligan's books. plenty of humour as you'd expect, especially during his time in Bexhill and Tunisia, but once he is wounded in Italy then it is mixed with the darker side that he had to cope with later on. That said, a very good read if you've not had the chance.
  7. msr

msr LE

Read it on JOTAC and found that the son of one of the tank commanders quoted in it was on my course ;)

8. "Never have been , never will be , now p1ss off before I load with live"? :D
  9. That takes me back a few years I tell you. It would be interesting to do a "where are they now" feature of the people in the book.