Truthers and Truthiness

Discussion in 'US' started by alib, Sep 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm surprised how many people seem different able when it comes to recognizing propaganda, or at least eagerly embrace a theory that suits their pre-conceived notions even if though it has the shape of agitprop, that pat smear with all those unanswered questions. It consumed like advertising, before you know it they really can't tell margarine from butter and that's part of their identity.

The long article below contains a detailed scientific rebuttal of the 9-11 Truther BS. This disgraceful movement began mostly as obvious anti-Bush agitprop which rather than getting marginalized in JFK territory if anything seems to be spreading out too an increasing number of faith based wingnuts. Another heavily bearded variation blames Mossad, they generally aren't going for that one.

You only need to look in detail at how laughable all the bumbling Bush administrations conspiratorial efforts to assemble a case for Iraq were too undermine the whole daffy pipe dream. A much smaller truck bomb black op would have sufficed. That they where still good enough to convince 75% of Septics a lot of whom clung for several years to the delusional belief that Saddam was, so conveniently, the 9-11 perp is a tribute to human gullibility.

Via Crooked Timber 9/11 and the Science of Controlled Demolitions by Chris Mohr
    His technique of denying simple open ended "what about?", prove me wrong dialogue but demanding an “if … then” look at the supporting forensic evidence you would expect to find but don't is fairly devastating.

The other conspirloon theory that is doing the rounds is Marxist/Muslim Barry faked the Bin Laden hit, more flagrant agitprop this time anti-Barry. I ask you faked it well enough to nearly topple Pindi and far enough away from the next presidential term to do him not damned bit of good?

I've only recently come across a lame British varient, 7/7 Truthers. Folk who believe the London Tube bombings were a power surge and Mr Tony covered it up to look like is was a bunch of beards with strap on TATP. This long after the Iraq wars was a fait accompli wearily resigned too. The muppets even continue to believe it when confronted physically by angry survivors.

Conspiracies do happen, Russians for instance give quiet a lot of credence to the Deep State being behind the Moscow apartment block attacks that preceded the Chechen war. Would have been rather simple to fake and I would not put it past the FSB/GRU, their ancestor the KGB loved black ops. But Russians are cynical enough to realize many wars start with lies and really not to care much about that.

Yerman Steven Colbert coined a term Truthiness: "truth that comes from the gut, not books" also sometimes described as "the quality of preferring concepts or facts one wishes to be true, rather than concepts or facts known to be true". There is an awful lot of this about.

2. And an awful lot of the cretins are coming on here to peddle their nonsense - we've got carrolltrust and ronangel (both a 9/11 'truther' and with his own weird fixation on the explosive future of Sheppey) at the moment, cartondewiart only a month or so ago. Did somebody paint the site with "fixated nutter attractor" before they buggered off on main leave?