Trust Libya with nuclear power, says Sarkozy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Jul 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trust Libya with nuclear power, says Sarkozy
  2. Another superb piece of French Rapprochement.

Am I alone in thinking that these comedians blunder round the international diplomatic stage dropping the odd hand grenade then retreat behing their traditional French Detachment when it all goes pear shaped?

Ooh - and lets not forget criticise from the sidelines when its their fcuk ups that are being cleared up. :x

3. Of course all Arab and other eastern governments are led by trigger happy idiots who will invade other countries, not like the UK (Blair) and the US (Bush). The politicians are always bleating about pulling b3rd world countries into the 21st century and eradicating poverty . I've always wondered what gives us the right to have nuclear power and weapons but no-one else. It's interesting to read that Libya's nuclear programme was covert, I don't think our's or the American's was particularly open for viewing.
  4. Because:
    a) we in the west worked hard to develop nuclear power (thats the royal we as clearly neither I or any member of my family had any part to play as they are thick as mud) while they were riding around on camels. Copyright rules should apply. Freeloading of western innovation and hard work shouldnt be allowed. If I had my way they shouldnt have TV's or coffee machines either.
    b) they are kids and cant be trusted not to try to do bad things for bad reasons because of faith in the sky pixie.
    c) because as usual the french are shamelessly trying to sell their grandmother again.

Would it be really really wrong to suggest the they develop suicide bio-power stations? Does it say anywhere in the koran that you might get 72 virgins for martyring yourself to produce electricity? A quick leap of faith into the furnace. Ok, no you are right. Bad idea. I am a bad person. Aren't I...?
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The French have got it sorted. As far as they're concerned, the only targets of Islamic bombs is other muslims or UK/USA.

Why NOT make money out the ME, when the bite-back isn't going to be in your back yard.

Mind you, the French have a penchant for, er, what's the word, oh yes, collaboration!
  6. Are you seriously suggesting that we should be criticising the French for demanding that we clear up their messes? Maybe I'm missing something, I can't remember the last French foreign policy fcukup that we had to clear up for them. I can think of two of ours that they're helping us out with.

Remind me again, what colour is the kettle?

Personally I don't have a problem with this, except insofar as it'll increase the amount of nuclear waste in the world. Still, if it pushes us to find a solution, that'll be a good thing. Got to be better than letting the developing world continue to burn fossil fuels.
  7. Certainly a bit of typical French opportunism.

Second only to the last notable politician to visit the good Colonel Gadhafi - equally dodgy Tony Blair. Anyone in the glass house want a couple of stones?
  8. Sounds like a good plan - Nuclear energy really is one of the only realistic ways forward for all countries. The only issue is with how to dispose of waste, which scientists are (as usual!) working towards a solution.

Are you at all serious about any of your points? I mean, really?

A) Balls. This attitude is ridiculous! "We develop it, only we can have it." This would mean that lots of technology we enjoy in the UK would be removed, you realise? Coffee-Makers = American, TV = Scottish, technically.
    B) Balls. The US (responsible for much technological innovation) is full of christians and god-botherers, but they're trusted (loose term) with much technology and firepower.
    C) Balls. You're simply anti-French.

Come up with a real argument or just admit that your real issue is with the French populace.
  9. My bold. Erm No. I'm Not. What I am saying is that the French will quite happily make foreign policy fcuk ups and then wash their hands of it when it all gets a bit difficult.

ie French Indo China, Algeria etc.

Yes we have fcuked up in Iraq. Yet we are still there. Whatever your views on our reasons for still being there the lads and lasses there are genuinely trying to make a difference. And paying the price.

So I am sorry if I did not make myself too clear there. I hope this clarifies matters.

And the French are all cnuts. :D
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

When I first read this a couple of days ago my first reaction was one of unease, but then when you consider it in a neutral context it stacks up.

Libya - surprisingly still with Col. G in the driving seat - have gone from being Western enemy no. 1, to being accepted to the point where they are getting nuc power. Where a US policy of bombing in the '80's resulted in further catastrophe, diplomacy has brought us to this point.
    If you think how this is viewed from other countries on the dodgey list, it has to be a good advert for behaving yourself and integrating into the international community.
    Libya will being selling surplus juice to bordering states while Iranians read about it by candlelight......
  11. Are you seriously asking whether i'm serious about any of those points?

W) Ok, you got me on the coffee makers. Sorry
    A) I don't trust Bush's finger hovering on the big red button either
    H) Actually no, some of my dearest and closest friends are French

I take it though that you had no issue with the point about power stations then?
  12. French have the right idea - Indochina? A civil war where the French weren't wanted? Well, good on them for having the sense to say, "Ah, we must withdraw!"

I don't know, but I don't think the French said, "America, come save Indochina for us!"
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think leaving Indo-China was an excellent idea, especially when you consider the fukc up that followed.....

Rainbow Warrior on the other hand was a best in class international bollok dropping event :oops: :oops: :oops:
  14. All I'm saying is that the French have a long and proud history of fecking off when the going gets tough.

And should it all go pear shaped in Libya (God / Allah forbid), they will be the first to say that it wasn't their fault should they supply their nuclear reactors (which is what they are angling after anyway).

I would remind you that Africa is slowly getting more radicalised as far as Islamism is concerned. I wonder how long (basically) secular societies like Morocco, Libya and Egypt can hold back the tide?
  15. jockass, quite right. I have no issue with countries having access to Nuclear Power. Give me a good reason why countries shouldn't have Nuclear Power? Other than your "It's western technology, other countries shouldn't have it, we're better than them" rubbish.