Trump pulls the US out of Iran deal.

They're proxies, not occupied territories. Beijing can't demand tactical obedience but it can enforce strategic compliance over the long term - which it seems to have done in this case.
It wasn't able to previously. What's changed is the intra-Korean dynamic, not the external forces.

They're proxies, not occupied territories. Beijing can't demand tactical obedience but it can enforce strategic compliance over the long term - which it seems to have done in this case.
In your opinion, what role did the downfall of President Park on corruption charges and the subsequent election of President Moon with his dramatically different policies with regards to relations with North Korea play in arriving at the current state of affairs?

I would think that South Korea's policies and actions would have played a pivotal role in what has transpired up to now and that no meaningful discussion on the affairs of the Korean Peninsula can take place without accounting for those and integrating them fully into the discussion.

President Rouhani of Iran said that Iran would remain in the nuclear accord with the other partners provided that Iran's interests were protected.
Iran president signals willingness to stay in nuclear deal | CBC News
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that Iran would remain committed to the 2015 nuclear deal if its interests were protected, while his foreign minister hoped the pact could be redesigned without Washington as a member.
Iran is willing to go ahead with the deal without the US.
"If the remaining five countries continue to abide by the agreement, Iran will remain in the deal despite the will of America," he said.
Iranian foreign minister Zarif visited Beijing on Sunday, where Chinese foreign minister Wang said that China is willing to continue to safeguard the agreement.
Zarif said in Beijing on Sunday: "We hope that with this visit to China and other countries we will be able to construct a clear future design for the comprehensive agreement."

China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Zarif's tour would improve understanding of Iran's position and help Tehran protect its legitimate interests.

"China is willing to maintain communication and co-ordination with all relevant parties, including Iran, and take an objective, fair and responsible attitude to continue to safeguard the ...agreement," Wang said.
French foreign minister Le Drian said on Sunday that France intends to stay in the deal.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Sunday France intends to stay in the deal and still believes that it can prevent Tehran acquiring nuclear weapons.

"We think that the fight against nuclear non-proliferation is important and this agreement means that nuclear non-proliferation is possible because Iran will not go all the way to nuclear weapons," Le Drian told reporters in Dublin.

"We are stakeholders in the Vienna agreement and we are going to stay stakeholders," he said.
However, Rouhani is feeling domestic political pressure in Iran to bin the whole thing.
On Sunday, the head of the Assembly of Experts, a group of clerics responsible for choosing Iran's supreme leader, said Rouhani should apologize for not having obtained guarantees from world powers for the agreement.

"It is necessary for the president to honestly and openly apologize to the people over the damages caused by the nuclear accord," Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati, a top conservative, said in a statement carried by state media.
The US appears to be waffling on whether they will attempt to impose US sanctions on European companies. They seem to be leaving open the option to go either way.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he was hopeful that the United States and Europe could agree on how to deal with Iran, after Trump threatened to sanction European companies that continue doing business there.

Speaking on Fox News Sunday, Pompeo said the United States was not aiming at Europe when it withdrew from the deal.
There was no comment in the story on how Europe may respond if the US attempts this.

Whilst the deal wasn't perfect, it was at least somewhat lessening Iran's nuclear aims.
The time limits were indeed unsatisfactory but the way forward was to renegotiate, rather than renege.
Iran's regional & missile policies were no part of the agreement, so bringing them to the fore now is disingenuous at best.

Top regional destabilising influence right now?

IMO it's KSA, like it has been for a couple of decades.

I don’t remember the Obama years as being economically great by any means. We managed to do ok inspite of his grand ideas. His war on fossil fuels helped to put my State in a recession, with no fuc$ks given about the people that live here.

The ACA has not lowered my medical costs, it has actually raised them. My insurance plan covers far less for far more money. Now in three weeks my own local hospital and all the clinics, might dump it and turn Into an out of network plan. Costing me significantly more.

While folks overseas might have loved the man, his inability to lead was embarrassing to the home crowd. His domestic policies were hated, by us provincial Hicks who were some of the most affected. Nobody here had any love for the man, and his “Legacy”.
Gee whiz Tappet, I didn’t know you had the same life experiences I had! I guess you will have to tell me about your times in the boom and bust economy here....

Gee whiz Tappet, I didn’t know you had the same life experiences I had! I guess you will have to tell me about your times in the boom and bust economy here....
The ‘disagree’ is in relation to your last paragraph and, on re-reading, the hyperbole of ‘no fuc$ks given about the people who live here’.

I’m sure many fuc$ks were given about the people, but unfortunately fossil fuels are a dying industry that are bad for air quality, the environment & the planet - (and I genuinely mean it) unfortunately the axe was going to fall somewhere; sadly it affected you. The world moves on, however, and people need to retrain and upskill - it’s not the first time it’s happened, it won’t be the last.

The ‘disagree’ is in relation to your last paragraph and, on re-reading, the hyperbole of ‘no fuc$ks given about the people who live here’.

I’m sure many fuc$ks were given about the people, but unfortunately fossil fuels are a dying industry that are bad for air quality, the environment & the planet - (and I genuinely mean it) unfortunately the axe was going to fall somewhere; sadly it affected you. The world moves on, however, and people need to retrain and upskill - it’s not the first time it’s happened, it won’t be the last.
Do tell me how environmentally friendly wind turbines are....?? Building “green” energy , installing it and maintaining is quite a dirty process. Fossil fuels will be here for a few more generations at least.

Trust me in DC no fuc$ks we’re given. When the energy industry suffers it is a domino effect. Markert forces are one thing. But when a political party and a President are more worried about a globalist agenda, then their own citizens it is another. Sadly enough it was the party for the working man, that turned into the Liberal ideology crusaders.

Wyoming delegation applauds decision to end Obama-era Clean Power Plan regulation

http://trib.com/business/energy/on-...cle_7c573a70-dc0a-531f-86e0-01e9bc037055.html

Do remember we have two senators like any other state, so we do get a say in how the country and the world (to an extent) run.
It is safe to say we won’t be sending any Democrats to DC.....

Do tell me how environmentally friendly wind turbines are....?? Building “green” energy , installing it and maintaining is quite a dirty process. Fossil fuels will be here for a few more generations at least.

Trust me in DC no fuc$ks we’re given. When the energy industry suffers it is a domino effect. Markert forces are one thing. But when a political party and a President are more worried about a globalist agenda, then their own citizens it is another. Sadly enough it was the party for the working man, that turned into the Liberal ideology crusaders.

Wyoming delegation applauds decision to end Obama-era Clean Power Plan regulation

http://trib.com/business/energy/on-...cle_7c573a70-dc0a-531f-86e0-01e9bc037055.html

Do remember we have two senators like any other state, so we do get a say in how the country and the world (to an extent) run.
It is safe to say we won’t be sending any Democrats to DC.....
Context (kryptonite to Trumpettes):

A recent Columbia University study found that regulations accounted for 3.5 percent of coal's decline, while competition from natural gas accounted for around 49 percent.
Trump's pro-coal policies certainly won't hurt the industry, but the broad trends pushing the industry down are likely to continue, experts say. It's simple economics.
Source

Bias Check

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
In your opinion, what role did the downfall of President Park on corruption charges and the subsequent election of President Moon with his dramatically different policies with regards to relations with North Korea play in arriving at the current state of affairs?

I would think that South Korea's policies and actions would have played a pivotal role in what has transpired up to now and that no meaningful discussion on the affairs of the Korean Peninsula can take place without accounting for those and integrating them fully into the discussion.
Everything's interconnected, that's the point - it's why you can't dismiss the influence of China and the USA.

North Korea is a Chinese creation and has proved to be a very useful proxy on occasion to ratchet regional tension up and down and ensure that Beijing is part of the conversation. More recently there were signs that Beijing didn't have Kim Jong Un on a sufficiently tight leash and that the Chinese were concerned at the direction he was taking. There may well have been considerable collusion between Washington and Beijing to use American threats to remind Kim that he needed Chinese support and bring him back to heel.

Of course it helps if the respective leaderships favour a policy of rapprochement but ultimately they won't be allowed to compromise the policies of the two big dogs, particularly China. It's the Chinese position shift that's the most significant here and that's most likely predicated to a great extent on the fact that it's one thing having a useful but unstable proxy but it's quite another having a nuclear-armed and unstable proxy for whose actions you're likely to be held responsible.

I don’t remember the Obama years as being economically great by any means. We managed to do ok inspite of his grand ideas. His war on fossil fuels helped to put my State in a recession, with no fuc$ks given about the people that live here.

The ACA has not lowered my medical costs, it has actually raised them. My insurance plan covers far less for far more money. Now in three weeks my own local hospital and all the clinics, might dump it and turn Into an out of network plan. Costing me significantly more.

While folks overseas might have loved the man, his inability to lead was embarrassing to the home crowd. His domestic policies were hated, by us provincial Hicks who were some of the most affected. Nobody here had any love for the man, and his “Legacy”.
Of course you won't remember the Obama years being economically great he inherited two wars, massive debt and a global recession from Bush Jr, you could have ended up like Greece.

I notice that Trumps National Economic Council appointee is Larry Kudlow, you may want to Google him to see his track record of financial predictions and particularly what he said about the possibility of a recession back in 2007.

Nothing ‘whataboutery’ about the fact that most people are ignoring/forgetting the reason why sanctions were applied in the first place. And that Iran appears to have been cheating on their agreement, which was going to see sanctions lifted, and just one of the reasons Trump has removed the US from the deal.

Trump also appears to have an eye on those who will continue to trade with Iran. Germany with whom relations have deteriorated may well find itself on the end of his intentions to even the trade deficit that Germany presently enjoys.
TRADE WAR: Is Germany ‘taking the American economy for a ride’?

Merkel started badly when Trump became President and it appears he has not forgotten that. Germany’s contributions to NATO haven’t impressed him, and the state of Germany’s armed forces is pretty dire. Bit of a joke when Merkel starts holding forth on the unreliability of the US as a ‘partner’. A rather uneven partnership one could possibly be forgiven for thinking.
Angela Merkel: Europe must take ‘our fate’ into own hands
Angela Merkel says 'Europe must take fate into own hands' after Trump and Brexit

Nothing ‘whataboutery’ about the fact that most people are ignoring/forgetting the reason why sanctions were applied in the first place. And that Iran appears to have been cheating on their agreement, which was going to see sanctions lifted, and just one of the reasons Trump has removed the US from the deal.

Trump also appears to have an eye on those who will continue to trade with Iran. Germany with whom relations have deteriorated may well find itself on the end of his intentions to even the trade deficit that Germany presently enjoys.

Merkel started badly when Trump became President and it appears he has not forgotten that. Germany’s contributions to NATO haven’t impressed him, and the state of Germany’s armed forces is pretty dire. Bit of a joke when Merkel starts holding forth on the unreliability of the US as a ‘partner’. A rather uneven partnership one could possibly be forgiven for thinking.
Angela Merkel says 'Europe must take fate into own hands' after Trump and Brexit
He doesn't forget these perceived slights and she is being hypocritical, to say the least.

Which of course is why it was felt necessary to reach a deal with them to ensure they stopped.
Except that it was only going to slow, not stop, and they were cheating on even that.

In their determination to eclipse American power, the Iranian new right regards the acquisition of nuclear capability as an important objective. Ayatollah Muhammad Taqi Mesbah-Yazdi declaring this task a ‘great divine test’. while the mouthpiece of the extreme right, Kayhan, has openly called for acquiring ‘knowledge and ability to make nuclear weapons that are necessary in preparation for the next phase in future battlefields’.

The Rafsanjani and Khatami administrations looked on nuclear weapons as tools of deterrence, the conservatives however feel them a critical means of solidifying Iran’s pre-eminence in the region.

The current leaders seem to display little intention of bartering the programme away for commercial contracts or security guarantees which they openly deride. They feel Iran requires a robust, extensive nuclear infrastructure and it is doubtful they will change their objective.

So much for them stopping.

Last edited:

What "evidence of cheating" do you mean?

Latest Threads