Trump moves to ban bump stocks

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe better to assume that the writer didn't inherit billions from his father and proceed to blow it on failure after failure.
Perhaps, but we're all kibitzers at heart. ARRSE has an infestation of the species and everyone's an expert.

Don't give a shit myself and have no truck with Trump but what does amuse me is that he's annoying the right people (ie, pretty much everyone). The swooning and teddy throwing when he got elected was beautiful to watch.

I've mentioned before. Driverless cars won't be speeding. Have you driven a modern well-equipped car? It won’t crash into the car in front, it'll apply the brakes quicker than you can, and it knows the stopping distance for the speed you’re doing. It knows which lane it's in and if you wander, it'll nudge you back. It knows where you are on the planet, the speed of that road, and where all the speed cameras are. When you get to your destination it'll park itself. The weakest part of modern cars is the human interface, and it cannot compensate for a fcukwit driving it.
How about cars now? My car doesn’t have any of those features. So should it be banned? Clearly the only way to deal with problems with the human behind the machine is to remove the machine.

How about cars now? My car doesn’t have any of those features. So should it be banned? Clearly the only way to deal with problems with the human behind the machine is to remove the machine.
Does it have airbags, side impact bars, crash protection for occupants and pedestrians, ABS brakes? All these bits are fitted because humans make a lot of mistakes and are unpredictable. The machine/technology is doing everything it can to stop the user and other users in the area from killing each other. We have reached a point where ourselves are the weakest point of our own inventions.

I think the best way to get the Septics in line would be to have very strict licensing on anything semi auto above rimfire , licenses only being issued to those with good reason (there are not many if any reasons) , magazine capacity restricted to five or ten rounds max , annual psychological testing for those with a semi auto license , possession of any unlicensed firearm or high capacity mag carrying a minimum jail time of five years , possession of full auto or equipment to adapt to full auto carrying ten years minimum jail , I believe that would certainly help but of course it will never happen because of the paranoid American mindset .

Does it have airbags, side impact bars, crash protection for occupants and pedestrians, ABS brakes? All these bits are fitted because humans make a lot of mistakes and are unpredictable. The machine/technology is doing everything it can to stop the user and other users in the area from killing each other. We have reached a point where ourselves are the weakest point of our own inventions.
Lessee:
Air bags and crash protection for me, little specific for pedestrians, ABS but thats as much of a hindrance as anything. It doesn't have any of that extra stuff* that you mentioned, so it is clearly more dangerous. It doesn't have any limiters on it that would stop me speeding, or driving at inappropriate speeds, or deliberately using it to run someone over. Since I'm the weak link I should have my car forcibly removed for the good of the population?

The machine is doing only what it has been programmed to do. By people. It is very important to remember that. Understanding the limitations of the program lets you see where it cannot help.

* most of which only works on motorways, where you are at the least risk of a collision anyway.

Have you seen the ‘no stab’ steak knives they sell now?
Nanny state is here already to keep the sheeple safe.
Nope and neither has Google
Screenshot_20180223-121956.png

I could find some rounded edge steak knives which still cut steak using the serrations on the blade. Is there any actual reason for a steak knife to have a point. I can't recall ever having to stab a steak.
It's usually pretty damn dead when I eat it.

Lessee:
Air bags and crash protection for me, little specific for pedestrians, ABS but thats as much of a hindrance as anything. It doesn't have any of that extra stuff* that you mentioned, so it is clearly more dangerous. It doesn't have any limiters on it that would stop me speeding, or driving at inappropriate speeds, or deliberately using it to run someone over. Since I'm the weak link I should have my car forcibly removed for the good of the population?

The machine is doing only what it has been programmed to do. By people. It is very important to remember that. Understanding the limitations of the program lets you see where it cannot help.

* most of which only works on motorways, where you are at the least risk of a collision anyway.
How is ABS a hinderance? ABS and Airbags were an option, it's standard now. Collision radar is an option on lower spec, it's standard on high spec. If you get into the bloke who sits next me 16 plate Golf, engage a gear, drive towards a wall or person, you won't hit them, the car will stop before then. If you stand directly in front of the car on start-up it won’t move. Programming has moved on, you don't need to tell modern tech how to do everything anymore, you give it parameters it will figure out all the possible scenarios every second it's operating and adjust to current conditions. Look at fighter aircraft, it is no longer possible for a human to manually control them.

I think the best way to get the Septics in line would be to have very strict licensing on anything semi auto above rimfire , licenses only being issued to those with good reason (there are not many if any reasons) , magazine capacity restricted to five or ten rounds max , annual psychological testing for those with a semi auto license , possession of any unlicensed firearm or high capacity mag carrying a minimum jail time of five years , possession of full auto or equipment to adapt to full auto carrying ten years minimum jail , I believe that would certainly help but of course it will never happen because of the paranoid American mindset .
I have difficulty following your logic here. How do you propose going from the current situation, with hundreds of millions of unregistered firearms and substantially more "high capacity magazines" to your proposed situation where everything is licensed and it is reasonable to apply severe punishment for possession of what is currently a common object?

Although it is currently very illegal in the States to have unregistered fully automatic weapons or critical parts for same, so that part wouldn't make any difference. Less so when you consider no legal fully automatic weapon has been used in the commission of a crime for some time. Mainly because they are blinking expensive due to their rarity. Criminalising ownership of "equipment tor adapt to full auto" would render pretty much any machine shop illegal overnight.

Bump stocks probably should be banned, since they are a lawyeristic work-around to get fully automatic capability in all but name.

I am also bemused at why your proposal is the "best"way

He has a very valid point. Anything that impacts the huge hunting hobby in the States will be resisted furiously by the Fudd gunners.
So can't you restrict hunters to only have hunting rifles?

And to also restrict hunting rifles to mean say bolt action rifles with limited mag capacity, say 3 - 5 bullets?

How is ABS a hinderance?
Every time it has functioned it has not helped the situation. In one case relying on it made it worse.

Collision radar is an option on lower spec, it's standard on high spec. If you get into the bloke who sits next me 16 plate Golf, engage a gear, drive towards a wall or person, you won't hit them, the car will stop before then. If you stand directly in front of the car on start-up it won’t move.
My car doesn't have that. Should my car be removed from the road as a hazard to the public?

Programming has moved on, you don't need to tell modern tech how to do everything anymore, you give it parameters it will figure out all the possible scenarios every second it's operating and adjust to current conditions. Look at fighter aircraft, it is no longer possible for a human to manually control them.
You have no idea how programming works, do you?
I'm no expert, but I have a good idea of what is involved. "It" doesn't do anything of "its" own volition. It follows a programme and every function is programmed, by people, and every parameter is based on test and input by people. Every time you see a "smart" routine, there are hundreds of little subroutines all doing their thing. All of these are hand coded.

Your 16 plate Golf is responding to pre-programmed "if-then" statements and either algorithms and lookup tables. If something happens outside that programme, then it will do nothing.

You shouldn't anthropomorphise computers. They hate it when you do that.

I wouldn't worry unless a new car is driving towards your old car without collision technology by Mr or Ms Fcukwit.
The Fcukwit will survive you wont.
But I can run over schoolchildren on a Zebra crossing! I'll crush them to death with my pedestrian-unfriendly car! Why aren't you thinking about the children!?

Interesting how your claims:

Points in favour of the AR-15 as a hunting rifle.

It’s very durable and fully weather resistant.
It’s light.
It’s extremely accurate, more so than many bolt action rifles
.223 was a purpose designed small game round.
Suddenly morphs into the heavily caveated:

Really?

Both mine are Mil spec parkerised, anodised and Teflon coated out of the box.
Accuracy? They shoot as good, or better than gun shop bolt actions of the same price range. The widely touted claims AR-15s aren’t accurate is pure BS as anyone who’s been to Camp Perry will confirm.
^^

Every time it has functioned it has not helped the situation. In one case relying on it made it worse.

My car doesn't have that. Should my car be removed from the road as a hazard to the public?

You have no idea how programming works, do you?
I'm no expert, but I have a good idea of what is involved. "It" doesn't do anything of "its" own volition. It follows a programme and every function is programmed, by people, and every parameter is based on test and input by people. Every time you see a "smart" routine, there are hundreds of little subroutines all doing their thing. All of these are hand coded.

Your 16 plate Golf is responding to pre-programmed "if-then" statements and either algorithms and lookup tables. If something happens outside that programme, then it will do nothing.

You shouldn't anthropomorphise computers. They hate it when you do that.
You've not heard of AI of Fuzzy logic, which allows thinking outside it's preset rules?