Trump: Boris Johnson's Brexit will hamper future trade with UK

President Trump warned that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal would hamper trade between the U.S. and U.K.
Trump was interviewed by phone on Thursday by Nigel Farage, leader of the Brexit party and rival of Johnson in the upcoming election on December 12.

The president said that a U.S.-U.K. trade deal would be impossible under the current terms of Brexit, which Johnson reached with the European Union.
“We want to do trade with the U.K. and they want to do trade with us. And to be honest with you, this deal, under certain aspects of the deal, you can’t do it,” Trump told Farage on his radio show on London station LBC, according to the Wall Street Journal. “You can’t trade. We can’t make a trade deal with the U.K.”

Johnson's deal is the worst of both worlds. Not in the EU anymore and not out of the EU.

POTUS at least said Jeremy would be a disaster.
No trade deal with the UK would hurt US businesses more.
Lets home The Don gets impeached & he might shut up then, his gobbing off hurts all including the USA.

Remember this is the interim deal to last 2 years during which we negotiate the ongoing long term deal. Once we're out don't expect the UK to be so willing to sign up to the EU's ideals. It will be a simple process of benefits of trade with the rest of the world v benefits of trade with the EU. The better deal the US gives us the less likely we are to agree to restrictive EU conditions. Intelligent minds in the US will have worked that out and I'm sure can prepare the early learning version for the Donald when/if necessary.

Whining Civvy

Old-Salt
POTUS will have forgotten what he said by this time tomorrow, and his views will in any case change as circumstances do.

At least we're at the front of the queue to be told to poke it.

Another triumph for the UK's strategic planning!

If there's money to be made then everyone will agree trade deals with everyone else.

Remember this is the interim deal to last 2 years during which we negotiate the ongoing long term deal. Once we're out don't expect the UK to be so willing to sign up to the EU's ideals. It will be a simple process of benefits of trade with the rest of the world v benefits of trade with the EU. The better deal the US gives us the less likely we are to agree to restrictive EU conditions. Intelligent minds in the US will have worked that out and I'm sure can prepare the early learning version for the Donald when/if necessary.
Trump already knows that. If Johnson had the opportunity to get a better deal he would have done it already to make it pass in parliament. This deal will not change a lot, the EU doesn't allow it. The UK will not fight the EU because it would trigger a No deal as Tusk says.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
It’ll be great. its about time we started showing some optimism, despite all indications to the contrary..

I remember being told told to smile, things could be worse.
So I smiled and guess what, it got worse.

If there's money to be made then everyone will agree trade deals with everyone else.
Not if you signed a deal with the EU that doesn't allow it. The rest of the EU would lose money if they granted further concessions to a US-UK separate deal.

Trump already knows that. If Johnson had the opportunity to get a better deal he would have done it already to make it pass in parliament. This deal will not change a lot, the EU doesn't allow it. The UK will not fight the EU because it would trigger a No deal as Tusk says.
Well that's the party political broadcast on behalf of the remain party.

anglo

LE
It’ll be great. its about time we started showing some optimism, despite all indications to the contrary..

I remember being told told to smile, things could be worse.
So I smiled and guess what, it got worse.
Cheer up, things could get worst
so we cheered up and things did worst

Iirc the Democrats in the USA have asked UK intelligence agencies for details about the Ukraine meddling in the US Trump election.

Perhaps the realpolitik of the situation is that Trump is threatening a no deal with BoJo in case any sordid details arise?

Iirc the Democrats in the USA have asked UK intelligence agencies for details about the Ukraine meddling in the US Trump election.

Perhaps the realpolitik of the situation is that Trump is threatening a no deal with BoJo in case any sordid details arise?
But they will inevitably arise, so what difference would that make? Where will they arise from? Based on current form, El Presidunce's own mouth when he's trying to big himself up.

There are interim and long term aspects to the UK withdrawal agreement. During the transition period the UK remains within the EU customs union. During this time the new long term trade deal will be negotiated and finalised. While the UK is still in the EU customs union, it can't have trade relationships with other countries which differ from those of the EU.

The more relevant questions will revolve around which aspects of the existing UK-EU relationship will survive beyond that point and which will affect the UK's ability to deal with other countries. I suspect that what's in the trade deal may matter as much or more than what's in the withdrawal agreement, as the former may modify or supersede the latter.

D

Deleted 163822

Donald Trump is the right kind of foreign politician interfering in UK domestic policy

D

Deleted 163822

It's the patriotic duty of every Englishman to bend over and accept what the benevolent Donald Trump deems to give us as an FTA

Ultimately, his great grandmother was English, plus he owns a golf course here. Therefore he can only have the best interests of the people of England at heart.

Better to be a rule taker from a wise and good master state than share soveriegnty with the other nations of the EU.

More concessions being access to the NHS I presume?

Latest Threads