True or False?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by Macks, Aug 27, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, I've heard a story about the Gunners, and didn't post this question in their forum because they'd probably flatly deny it anyway! So why in the RLC? Because it has something to do with the RCT.
    Anyway, it has been said to me that the reason that the Gunners have a yellow stripe on their stable belt is a punishment from Queen Victoria. Apparently they lost some guns, and refused to get them, and the yellow stripe represents the 100 years it was meant to be worn for their cowardice.
    Now, added to this, I've been told that the reason the RLC have a lanyard on their kit, is because whatever the RCT used to be called a long time ago (apologies... I'm not too good on this. Staff Corps or something?) went out and retrieved the guns, thus receiving the lanyard as a show of their bravery.
    Is this a load of crap, intended to make the Gunners look bad (because, let's face it, they're not the Army's favourite people! :D ), or is there actually some truth in it?
  2. False - end of thread - next please
  3. Don't know how far its true, but have been told in my younger days. During the crimean war there was a big fall back and regroup, retreat as it was called in them days. The Artillery left a few of their guns behind, as they were buggered anyway and most of the horses were dead. As the Engineers were falling back through the artillery lines they hooked up the guns and brought them back. At this time the Artillery wore two black lanyards, one for the fuze setter and the other for the hoof pick. Queen V got a bit upset at leaving her colours behind and made the Artillery forfiet one of the black lanyards to the Engineers and turned the other lanyard white as a sign of cowardice. There was no justice in them days, the guns were shagged anyway.

As for the stable belt, this was introduced well after the Crimean war so I cannot really comment.
  4. Fair enough! Just another malicious rumour about the Gunners then. Had to be sure, as I was bound to use it in an argument at some point... :D
    Cheers guys!
  5. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

The story is arrse...

It's gold not yellow.

See Gunner_Quadrant's thread on the Gunner Board for the details.
  6. No, I'm pretty sure it's true and I heard it from a gunner.

(Took pity on him as they have no friends and he was all alone in the mess with his shandy.)
  7. Its false.
    there are many places you could look this up. Failing that just check out one of the presentations in the bogs in the mess at DST.
    Explains all there!
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

It'll be one of those rumours along the lines of the RAOC cap badge having cannon balls bigger than the cannons due to a logistic c ock up.
    Purely Heraldic.

Seem to be a few rumours about the RA. I recall that the Engineers are called Wedge because they manned guns the RA had left and due to a lack of woden wheel wedges used the bodies of fallen comrades. Although could be totally wrong on that one.
  9. As Im ex RAOC I have to say that the reason the balls (on the capbadge) are smaller is nothing more than scale, if they were to scale, you wouldnt see them, but still nice to see that the 'heart' of the RLC cap badge is the board of ordnance

*sits back looking at his nails with a smug look on his face*
  10. Hmm I heard it was a Dunkirk thing. The gunners did a quicsktep at Bolougne and left a unit flank empty. Apparently the Pioneers manned the guns allowing the infantry (Guards?) to get out and were decimated in the process.
    They were awarded the Bolougne Bowl for their efforts - an award kept quiet but which is on display now
    Is there a pattern developing here gunners?
  11. Rubbish!!! Everyone at dunkirk was slipping in their own sh1t to get back to blighty

Lets look at this sensibly, you think any regiment(or indeed the MOD would sanction) would wear something on thier uniform that was a regiments disgrace in battle? Think not!!

Rant over, paste up, dress back to 300, dont forget the phone
  12. What about the QLR backing (yellow) on their capbadge then?
  13. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Yes, me too and that's what I said. Purely Heraldic.
  14. One other thing that a lot of people forget about the Artillery.
    In the good old days the Artillery deployed in front of the Infantry. So if they were overrun what did they do?
  15. Facts Facts Facts

Cap Badge Backing. The Primrose Diamond worn on soldiers' berets was introduced by the Commanding Officer of 1st Battalion the East Lancashire Regiment at Hamburg in 1945. Primrose (pale yellow) was the facing colour of the 30th Foot 1702-1881 and was carried again in 1916 when 1st Battalion the East Lancashire Regiment wore patches of that colour on their helmets and sleeves at the battle of the Somme. The backing is not worn by officers or by warrant officers class 1.