True extent of SAS casualties in Afghanistan

Why should you or anyone else have the stats? Don't give me the right to know crap.

Assuming the figure for SF is true, then for 9 years of continuous operations I call it remarkably light.

To me it seems that this "intel" could be potentially damaging. If it is known how many of THEM have been hurt or worse, then taliban tactical effectiveness can be evaluated by the enemy, which aint good.

Further and much more concerningly, any further data (eg a year by year breakdown) could lead to inferring which casualties were THEM. This concerns me, as THEY don't normally share such information (which is probably for a good reason).

Might be better to take the MOD figures as gospel, at least here anyway.

Petardier said:
Why should you or anyone else have the stats? Don't give me the right to know crap.

I as in ME, do not have the right to know, but I hate speculation!

Yes I also believe this could be damaging to their operational effectiveness.

the_field_mouse said:
Petardier said:

I as in ME, do not have the right to know, but I hate speculation!

Yes I also believe this could be damaging to their operational effectiveness.[/quote]

I think we're talking a bit of Read This And Be Shocked/Horrified journalism here. The headline and first 3 paragraphs would lead you to believe that our friends at Hereford and Poole are dying like Spartans out there.

A few paragraphs down, this appears: 'The death toll includes three from the SBS, one SAS officer, three SAS reservists, one member of the Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR), and four members of the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG). That has added to the previous toll from Iraq, where seven members of the SAS and one SBS commando died and more than 30 members of the SAS suffered crippling injuries.'

Now, as I understand it, the total suggested by The Times covers not only SAS/SBS but SFSG and SRR AND spread over two operational theatres which, as has already been mentioned, is probably a CAS ratio about the same as a line Regt or Corps troops.

Latest Threads