Truck Mounted Helicopter Pad Thing

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by meridian, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Does this have a valid military application?

[​IMG]

They are used in Australia for operating helicopters that inspect power lines, the high up platform keeps the dust and shite out of the engines

I know we discussed ages ago about the viability of (in an ideal world where we have lots of money) of light utility type helicopters operating organically at a battalion level

Thought it was interesting and am a bit bored :D

2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Bet it can't take a fully laden Merlin :D

I once saw a JATO C130 take off from the back of a low loader.

3. I don't understand why it is on that?

Transport it on a trailer (As it clearly was) and land it on terra-firma for fuel. This is over complicating it some what.

4. meridian

I think it has all the fuel, fluids, spares and bits and bobs on the back of the truck. Self contained in one package

Seems pretty efficient

5. Isn't it rather over complicated, why not land on the big flat groundy thing then drive the truck to it rather than land on the small elevated thing that you can fall off.

6. I am only basing this on the fact I haven't seen one. Its possible to collapse these blades?

7. meridian

It is designed to raise the helicopter off the ground and minimise ingestion of dust and debris, costs and maintenance issues I would imagine

8. To reduce particle ingestion and reduce the amount of brown-out presumably. Although the vertical extent of recirculation being roughly two-thirds rotor diameter would mean that the low loader would be anything but for any SH or current AH!

9. meridian

I am sure it is a load of nonsense but it just seemed workmanlike and efficient in an aussie style

Only for small helicopters though, as everyone says, landing a Merlin on it would make a mess!

http://www.tnn.co.uk/WorldwideNews/plonearticle.2005-10-13.0392684943#

10. How you combined these words is beyond me. German, yes.

Edited for due too bad grammar.

11. Just to show my age.
    The Brit Army/Military did 'Evaluate' a small two seater Heli that could operate from the back of a truck, bedford 4 tonner, if my memory serves me well.
    The cab was Turbine (Jet) powered and the blades rotated by 'Jet' blast from end of the blades.
    Not sure but I think the cab was of French origine and timescale was 50-60s.
    Gin or similar was name.

john

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sud-Ouest_Djinn