Trucial Oman Scouts

I assume you mean OMAN, old Muscat, , and Not the UAE, yes those officers were, as you describe...Not a british secondment establishment like the TOS

SAS summer dress issue?

Tropical issue:

SAS-Brass-Tropical-Parachute-Wing-Badge-British-Military.jpg

Apologies for the 'bump'. I'm reading: Are You The Man? Memories of Life in the Trucial Oman Scouts, and got me thinking about one of the training WO's years ago who was giving the lesson on Observation skills etc.

He made a statement about the Arabs have keen/acute eyesight due to their living/moving around in a 'open' landscape so they are able to see/observe far greater distances. Didn't really think much of it at the time (late '70's), now with a few ex TOS, or others who may of been posted to this neck of the woods, on this site can they confirm this or deny it as a load of crap.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Breathing life into an old thread ...

Probably one of the rarest DZ flashes ever.

1552571851954.png

1552571798607.png

from the archives of the IWM.

"Denison smock worn by Michael Basil Morgan (b.1938 ), Royal Corps of Signals, during service in Yemen. As an Arabist he was recruited by Colonel David Stirling in the 1960s to be part of a team of mercenaries and advisers supporting the Yemeni royalist forces against the Egyptian-backed republican rebels. He served in this role for three years."

Sometimes we live in a very very small world.

LESTER Derek: Lieutenant Colonel 365510
Derek Lester of Wirkworth, Derbyshire on 25 January 2012. He was commissioned into The Sherwood Foresters in May 1946 and then served with the SAS from 1955 to 1957 and then with the Trucial Oman Scouts from 1962 to 1964 before moving to MI6 in 1965. He then served with the Infantry Junior Leaders Battalion from 1966 - 67 before being posted to Qatar Armed Forces and became Colonel chief of Staff in 1972 before leaving the Army in 1978.

I came from almost within sight of Wirksworth. It it hadn't been in a valley I would have seen it from my parents home.

Sometimes we live in a very very small world.

LESTER Derek: Lieutenant Colonel 365510
Derek Lester of Wirkworth, Derbyshire on 25 January 2012. He was commissioned into The Sherwood Foresters in May 1946 and then served with the SAS from 1955 to 1957 and then with the Trucial Oman Scouts from 1962 to 1964 before moving to MI6 in 1965. He then served with the Infantry Junior Leaders Battalion from 1966 - 67 before being posted to Qatar Armed Forces and became Colonel chief of Staff in 1972 before leaving the Army in 1978.

I came from almost within sight of Wirksworth. It it hadn't been in a valley I would have seen it from my parents home.

Hi there Iv just been looking up stuff about my family and came across this.
This is my grandad and the women is my grandma. It’s a beautiful picture where did you find it?
I would love to know more information about my grandad if you have anything more.
Many thanks Shiv

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Hi there Iv just been looking up stuff about my family and came across this.
This is my grandad and the women is my grandma. It’s a beautiful picture where did you find it?
I would love to know more information about my grandad if you have anything more.
Many thanks Shiv

@S.lester

Shiv,

That photograph came from the Trucial Oman Scouts photo page here -

In fact, there is another pic of your grandma ...

i-33btRxv.jpg

Oh wow that is amazing. She was so pretty!
The weird thing is untill the day of his funeral we never knew anything about his past other then he was something high up in the army and my dad went to school for a bit in the Middle East, and still has friends there. This man in the pictures son.
The man in the picture sent people over for his funeral, they really did show and pay there respects.
The more I dig about him the more amazed I am about him.
Please please if you do ever find anything else about him I would love to see or read it. He was a amazing grandad and the more I read the more proud and amazed this man was my grandad.
Many thanks shvaughn

Latest Threads