Trouser Elastics Why???

crabmabb

Old-Salt
RMA1 said:
talking out of your arrse mate
and your med experence of this is ?

I have had at least 6 blokes with tendon probs in 95 combats, suggested stop using elastics problem gone.[/quote]

My medical experience is working as a sports therapist at all levels including national standard and being a civvy equivilant medical technician. Twisters will NOT cause tendonitis in the achilles tendon.

Spook_44

Old-Salt
putteesinmyhands said:
Ulster_Rifleman said:
putteesinmyhands said:
devilish said:
Bring back puttees...
I'm back.

The best things were the rubber seals from the top of the mortar bomb containers.
Not bombs mate ROUNDS !!!
If it falls from the sky and goes bang, it's a bomb.
The round of ammunition for a mortar just happens to be a bomb.

I bet you're one of these people that can't understand that a rifle is a gun.
From my dim and distant past, I seem to remember it as being a 'round' when fitted with its augmenting charges (ie before firing), and a bomb once fired. I'm prepared to be corrected and accused of getting off topic. To get back to the point, elastics don't cause ankle trouble unless you are doing your boots up too tight. They also look smarter.

Zeitgeist said:
The thing with puttees was people used to cut them down smaller so that it only went around the ankle once . and some people could never get it right pointy bit facing back..
Wasnt the original idea of puttees to prevent snake bites on ankles?

Puttees

For most armies of the world at the begining of the 20th century knee-length leather boots were what was in fashion for their troops. The British army however had to work to a budget since Britain's main military power was traditionally her navy. Instead of tall leather boots, the British soldier wore ankle boots and puttees. These were 9 feet long lengths of wool serge that were wrapped around the legs (from ankle to knee for infantry and the opposite way for cavalry). They had a length of cotton at their top end which was wrapped around the leg and tied off to secure them. At the outbreak of war the troops wore curved puttees that were bent in opposite directions so as to conform more easily to the soldier's left and right leg. Many manufacturers replaced these with straight cut puttees which were much quicker to produce, although they had to be worn in by the troops. Officers would often privately purchase better quality ones. The most common brand was 'Foxes.' These were better made than that issued by the Army and can be easily identified by a small brass disc at the bottom edge which marks each puttee as 'L' and 'R' respectively. The colour of puttees seems to have varied through a range of drab browns and greens. Interestingly, ankle boots and puttees were much better suited to the muddy conditions of trench warfare and by 1918 most armies had adopted them.
http://www1.freewebs.com/themanchesters1914-18/Manchesterfiles/Puttees.htm

Seems as good an explanation as any. Underfunding even then.

with all due respect to puttees, i'm sticking to my reason. when wearing elastics i've never suffered weasels on the knackers, ergo they must work, rather like tearing up bits of paper in railway carriages to keep elephants away. strangely, that works too.

awaiting incoming.....

medman82 said:
I found them useful for stopping my dick falling out onto my boots, but then again I'm lucky to have a big one!!

I can also lick my eyebrows and breathe through my ears, A talent that a lot of QA's liked.
but your legs are only 2 inches long

oscar1whisky said:
with all due respect to puttees, i'm sticking to my reason. when wearing elastics i've never suffered weasels on the knackers, ergo they must work, rather like tearing up bits of paper in railway carriages to keep elephants away. strangely, that works too.
Eating raw onions has also been successful. (In respect to weasels and elephants. It's also a very good indicator of whether somebody really loves you).

puttees, we should pass this to arrse marketing-- onions/elastics/paper would make a great "survival" kit against creatures large and small, and women (or whatever the buyer's preference) who don't love you. walts would snap it up! all proceeds to arrse charities, of course. :)

Get your puttees on and the elastics we had was from the postman. Handy bit of kit when your out in the woods.
Bring out your dead! Nearly 13 years old, well done!

HE117

LE
Ah.. Thread Starter strikes again!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Elastics in trousers, as useful as ironing MTP on ops :)

potter

Old-Salt
Elastics in trousers, as useful as ironing MTP on ops :)
Did anyone actually *see* the possibly apocryphal staff paper that calculated the cost in money / lives of getting fuel to Bastion to provide electricity there, and the savings that would be achieved in both if ironing didn't take place?

Latest Threads