Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troublesome "Teenager"

It's been through that point. Lots of sensible posts in the first 2 pages along the lines of 'Find an activity you can do together, speak to the child and ask them what's going on'.

Woopert then chimed in with 'Be as much of a ******** as physically possible', I responded with 'Don't be a ******** until you know it's justified' and it's gone from there.

or you could view it as:

lots of good advice about diverting activities for said child, followed by advice that says don't take the school's word as gospel and come to your own conclusions based on more sources of evidence that just the teachers', if it turns out the school is closing ranks and doubling down, the act and know what you can do and what your rights are, while being realistic in the expectation that the school/HT will act like one of the last feudal Lords of the Manor who only doesn't insist not only on your fielty but a bit of driot de seigneur because that kind of thing is frowned on when the news papers find out (see the Teachers at it again thread).

I could characterise your response as "all kids are lying cnuts and teachers all are blameless".

I'll pick a couple of your points for quick reply though:

- you'd be one of about the 0.0000000001% of teachers who would subject themselves to Chartered Status without being compelled on account of the institutional mentality of teachers that they are above such grubbiness (that starts with the left wing nutters who teach and train them). It would work in academies in the same way it works for me - to call myself a Chartered Surveyor and practice as such (irrespective of who employs me) I have to have MRICS after my name. No Member of the Chartered Institute of Teaching after your name, no teaching job and no legal right to call yourself a "teacher" no matter who employs you. It could work, it would just take a Royal Charter, a little bit of legislation, and the political will to fight "The Blob"

- some kids are cnuts. There's on in my eldest daughter's year who is a right one, yet somehow seems to survive unscathed with endless bending over backwards when any other school would have hoofed her (sorry, "them", decided it was non-binary or some made up unicorn gender a few weeks ago to give the school the randomfuckabout). I'm not saying don't deal with that, just do it properly and procedurally like I have to when sacking someone for being a cnut. The problem is, HTs beliving that the rules don't apply to them and then tieing themselves up in knots when either they get it wrong and are then forced to backtrack due to a legal challenge or they apply one rule for one and a different rule for someone else.

- have asked/offered and she wants to stay to end of GCSEs but will be moving for A Levels.

Give him a Watneys Party Seven, a straw and a bin bag full of jazz mags. It didn't do me any harm...

... it just fucked up any future prospects.

or you could view it as:

lots of good advice about diverting activities for said child, followed by advice that says don't take the school's word as gospel and come to your own conclusions based on more sources of evidence that just the teachers', if it turns out the school is closing ranks and doubling down, the act and know what you can do and what your rights are
That's a very positive spin to put on it. Just to remind you, this was from your first post in this thread:

"Speak to other parents, do some research. the kids will soon tell you who the toss-pot teachers are and why. See if any of them teach your lad, enquire about how the teachers behave, what they do, and what they say. if any of them are at fault then GO IN F*CKING HARD and expect the school to close ranks. Build up evidence, use the complaints procedure, go public on social media and the local press. Eventually self-preservation of those at the top will kick in and the culprits will be shuffled off to a teaching job in a school somewhere else."

Now, bearing in mind that Charlie4 has no idea what the actual issue is beyond his godson not wanting to go to school because of an 'exclusion', the only information about which has come from an upset pre-teen, do you not agree that encouraging him to form a social media lynch mob is a bit premature?

I could characterise your response as "all kids are lying cnuts and teachers all are blameless".
You could. I would happily agree with the first part and I'm definitely not suggesting that all teachers are perfect. I just want people to accept that their children will not tell them the whole truth as most children are incapable of objectively stating what happened in situations they are upset about.

I will happily hold my hands up and admit when I've fucked up which doesn't happen anywhere near as often these days. If parents email me with questions I will respond and explain the situation. What I really, really dislike is parents hearing their offspring's version of events, believing everything they are told and then charging about like a bull in a china shop on LSD with a jalapeno up its arse.

Another one from today, child is set a punishment for repeatedly refusing to obey instructions. Parent emails in to query why child has been set detention for coughing as child is ill. Teacher responds explaining the real reason detention was set and parent replies demanding a phone call to 'discuss' (ie. argue) about it.

- you'd be one of about the 0.0000000001% of teachers
This sort of exaggeration is why I find it hard to take your criticism seriously. There are approximately 600,000 teachers in the UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...hment_data/file/657907/SFR64_2017_Tables.xlsx figures for 2016/17) so your percentage puts me as around a hundred thousandth of one person. I would have thought I'd count as a whole person, even if I am the only teacher in the whole of the UK that agrees.

It would work in academies in the same way it works for me - to call myself a Chartered Surveyor and practice as such (irrespective of who employs me) I have to have MRICS after my name. No Member of the Chartered Institute of Teaching after your name, no teaching job and no legal right to call yourself a "teacher" no matter who employs you. It could work, it would just take a Royal Charter, a little bit of legislation, and the political will to fight "The Blob"
You are aware that academies, like private schools, have no requirement to hire qualified teachers (ie. those with QTS or equivalent foreign qualifications)? Therefore it doesn't matter what chartered body you introduce, until that is fixed it will be effectively worthless for the majority of secondary schools (apparoximately three quarters of secondaries are now academies according to the DfE - https://www.nao.org.uk/press-release/converting-maintained-schools-to-academies/).

- have asked/offered and she wants to stay to end of GCSEs but will be moving for A Levels.
Fair point.

Edit - having done a bit more digging it turns out that schools run by an LEA can also hire unqualified teachers - Unqualified teachers Lots of interesting stuff in that link and if anyone is that bothered the relevant bits of the Education Act and Amendments are easily found via Google.

I particularly liked the fact that teachers holding QTS make up about 96% of the teaching workforce and that Science teachers are the ones most likely to hold a directly related degree.

Last edited:
Paging @Toastie

I think you should let your God Child have a good old read of some of the ditties from our resident expert on all things school related. In the Fings Aint Wot They Used To Be thread otherwise know as 'Bring Back School Milk'

I am sure once he has seen how things were back in the day, things will seem a lot better.

Good Luck

Easy fix, buy him a Phillips head screwdriver a ball pein hammer, and take him out on late night drives to burn of the excess energy, or, tell him to buck his fucking ideas up and start sparking, then lay him out with a carefully placed combination to the head.

Latest Threads