Troubles propaganda music

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Flashman_1, Aug 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I do have quite a large range of Republican and to a lesser extent Unionist propaganda songs taken from the troubles, now that that war is over it may be time to examine them.

Men Behind the Wire (quite a famous one)
    Snipers promise (quite an interesting one since it tries to create empathy with the IRA sniper and the soldier who has just been shot)
    The Sash my Father Wore (standard Unionist anthem, I also recall a case in South Armagh from Toby Harnden’s ‘Bandit Country’ (excellent read BTW) when an officer played this around the square the day he was about to leave to celebrate the fact that none of his men had died!
    This Land is your land (bit loathe to put it here because I think it’s a really good folk song, I think the original artist was Woodie Guthrie)
    Go on home British soldiers (Very clever bit of hate propaganda)
    Wrap the green flag around me
    Come Out You Black and Tans (I think this goes back to the start of the 20th century, but don’t quote me on that.)
    The Patriot Game (I think this does glorify martyrdom to a certain extent)

I am willing to send CD’s of this to anyone interested in Propaganda relating to the Troubles from thee 60’s to the late 90’s. PM me.

I think the IRA had some very powerful, what I would term ‘folk propaganda’ which it used to gain supporters and sympathisers.
  2. Found a lot of it on an American based site so it was bound to be more biased towards Republicanism.
  3. what's the URL?
  4. Found the above one very interesting, am I right in thinking this is somehow related to the blood oath between N.Ireland and the mainland?
  5. Basically yes. Ulster is as much part of the UK as England is and Ulstermen are always amongst the first to step forward when the Kingdom is threatened...The Chocolate Soldier is in a similar vein..

The UVF began with the Ulster Covenant started by Lord Carson in 1912..many of those who signed it did so with their own blood...
  8. I always preferred Would You Like to Try a Cheese Burger Bobby Sands? or The Ballad of Bloody Sunday(We shot one, we shot two...). :twisted:

The IRA's propganda, like Al Quida's, worked/works on people predisposed to believe in it anyway; in other words, fcukwits and wannabe-martyers.
  9. Really? you've never heard that comment by I believe, John Betjeman, who during the last war was a press attache in the British Embassy in Dublin. He visited Northern Ireland, then routinely referred to as "Loyal Ulster" in contrast to the neutral Irish Free State. He said that in Belfast he'd:

"seen lots of "Loyal Ulstermen" all loyally staying at home"

The fact is that conscription wasn't in force in NI during the war and apparently the locals were actually quite reluctant to volunteer, despite all their protestations of "Loyalty".

Whoever it was John Betjeman or not, he didn't appeatr to be doing a great lot for the war effort. Ulstermen , and Irishmen , have always been well represented in the armed forces and deserve the same respect as all other nationalities who served. Obviously if conscription was not in force you won't get the same percentage of the population in uniform All the others English, Scottish or Welsh did not go too willingly or conscription would not have been necessary.
  10. Quality! Cheers, mate. :D

12. If you think some of the modern day provie songs are, quote folk? propaganda, i suggest you listen to the words.
    A lot of Irish folk groups , lean towards republicanism from the past, constantly droning on about hundreds of years of oppresion. However some of the newer crap covers sam 7,s till armalites, not all song to folk songs either.
    By the way both sides sing to the same tunes just differnt words.