Trouble plagued Canadian submarines to be used until 2030

Discussion in 'Canada' started by redshift, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was talking to a Canadian buddy of mine last night, somehow the topic of subs came up. He mentioned that there is a big shit storm raging in Canada right now, since the past few months as to what to do with their Victoria class subs. Throw more good money after the bad or just scrap the lot and cut your losses?

Finally after much debate, it looks like they will try and keep the fleet at least till 2030, so they have time to get some new ones up and running. But, apparently, there is a good chance that at least one or two of the boats might be operating at "reduced operational capability," whatever the hell that is.

It probably hasn't helped that HMCS Corner Brook ran aground near Vancouver last summer, in that fine ex-British submarine tradition. :)

Troubled submarines to be used until 2030 - Canada - CBC News

A summary rundown from a recent CBC article:

My favourite quote from the above:
    They haven't had much luck with these, have they?
  2. There seems to be an issue with these boats, and it's not the boats.
  3. We could sell them some of our Collins class subs....
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

That's very cruel. Don't you like the Canadians?
  5. No I'm actually very fond of Canadians. With the Collins class subs you'll always know where our Canadian friends are.
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Sitting in harbour looking at 2 classes of submarine they can't sail anywhere?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. The Cannukistanians difficulties are an understandable side effect of their linguistics afflictions

Dive da boat!
    Das boot?
    No, da boat,
    What are you talking aboot?
    I'm talking aboot da bloody boat!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. But at least they'll be safe. Iirc I think we have 1 or 2 working Collins class subs. Apparently they sound like an underwater Pantera concert.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Isn't it a superstition that renaming a vessel brings it extreme bad luck?

These facts above would certainly suggest so!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Of course, none of them have actually fired a single weapon yet, as their modified fire control system / torpedoes havent been test fired. So, a non seagoing fleet of vessels that we dont know if they can fire weapons or not. Nice!
  11. It's meant to be but I don't think a lot of people take it seriously. A few of Nelson's ships at Trafalgar were captured from the French and renamed and it doesn't seem to have affected them!
  12. Of course it bought bad luck.
    To the Frogs.
  13. Yes but we are British and have God on our side. Besides who wants a ship with a frog name.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Nelson! Temeraire, Tonnant, Belleisle and Entreprenante!