• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Trouble plagued Canadian submarines to be used until 2030

I was talking to a Canadian buddy of mine last night, somehow the topic of subs came up. He mentioned that there is a big shit storm raging in Canada right now, since the past few months as to what to do with their Victoria class subs. Throw more good money after the bad or just scrap the lot and cut your losses?

Finally after much debate, it looks like they will try and keep the fleet at least till 2030, so they have time to get some new ones up and running. But, apparently, there is a good chance that at least one or two of the boats might be operating at "reduced operational capability," whatever the hell that is.

It probably hasn't helped that HMCS Corner Brook ran aground near Vancouver last summer, in that fine ex-British submarine tradition. :)

Troubled submarines to be used until 2030 - Canada - CBC News

A summary rundown from a recent CBC article:

My favourite quote from the above:
In drydock for so long, it has become a bird sanctuary (The Navy spent thousands of dollars just trying to keep pigeons from roosting in the vessel.)
They haven't had much luck with these, have they?

The Cannukistanians difficulties are an understandable side effect of their linguistics afflictions

Dive da boat!
Das boot?
No, da boat,
What are you talking aboot?
I'm talking aboot da bloody boat!

I was talking to a Canadian buddy of mine last night, somehow the topic of subs came up. He mentioned that there is a big shit storm raging in Canada right now, since the past few months as to what to do with their Victoria class subs. Throw more good money after the bad or just scrap the lot and cut your losses?

Finally after much debate, it looks like they will try and keep the fleet at least till 2030, so they have time to get some new ones up and running. But, apparently, there is a good chance that at least one or two of the boats might be operating at "reduced operational capability," whatever the hell that is.

It probably hasn't helped that HMCS Corner Brook ran aground near Vancouver last summer, in that fine ex-British submarine tradition. :)

Troubled submarines to be used until 2030 - Canada - CBC News

A summary rundown from a recent CBC article:

My favourite quote from the above:

They haven't had much luck with these, have they?
Isn't it a superstition that renaming a vessel brings it extreme bad luck?

These facts above would certainly suggest so!

Of course, none of them have actually fired a single weapon yet, as their modified fire control system / torpedoes havent been test fired. So, a non seagoing fleet of vessels that we dont know if they can fire weapons or not. Nice!

They should have built their own then. Its like asking someone else to make a brew and complaining its shit when you could have done it the whole time. Somehow.

At least one colony is still following British traditions; 'Submarines, fitted for, but not with, working capabilities.'

IIRC, the fatal fire on HMCS Chicoutimi happened because the hatches at both the top and bottom of the fin (that's the "conning tower" for you squaddies) were left open at the same time during a storm. This allowed several tons of salt water to enter the vessel within a few seconds, shorting out an electrical switchboard and starting the fire. It was standing room only on the Canadian outrage bus until the cause of the accident was determined.

Submarines do an exceedingly dangerous job, even in peace time. The odd bump, scrape or massive fekkin hole in the bows is only to be expected.

G

goatrutar

They should have built their own then. Its like asking someone else to make a brew and complaining its shit when you could have done it the whole time. Somehow.

At least one colony is still following British traditions; 'Submarines, fitted for, but not with, working capabilities.'
Yeah, because the Collins class sub is such a ******* success story too.

Latest Threads