Trouble getting in!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by sunburysoldier, Nov 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

I recently applied to join the REME TA and being ex reg I get to skip a few bits. Then I found out that because I was medically discharged from the forces three years ago it will take a bit longer to get in! Its looking increasingly like I will get turned down!

As anyone else been in this position before?

2. What was your medical category on discharge?

3. If you were medically discharged then it's very doubtful you will get in, what was the condition and has it changed since?

4. I was discharged from the navy as P7RD. I was told medically unfit to go to sea at the time. However in the time since I first knackered my knee I have done loads of work on it and even got in the police!

5. I damaged my knee! The knee didnt heal within ten months and the civvy doc decided it was best I f I was discharged from the navy. Since then the condition as changed and got a lot better. I have passed three medicals since including one by the TA doc

6. P7RD isn't a medical discharge category. It's a temporary downgrade. To be discharged medically you would need to have been P8 (or P7P but failed the employability board). Did your engagement time expire whilst you were downgraded?

7. Apologies my mistake I was downgraded to P8

8. Unfortunately, P8 stands for (PUNS) Permanently Unfit for Naval Service. It's very unlikely you will be accepted by the TA with that in your medical records, especially if it's a lower limb problem.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but on the bright side, you are entitled to a war pension.

Still, no harm in asking I suppose.