Troops warned not to attend Alexander Blackman rally

The problem was that the c**ts in question elected to murder someone who was entitled to protection under the rules of hors de combat, lie to all & sundry about it, and then try to portray Blackman as something that he wasn't. Let's not get on to the alleged kiddy fiddler ring in the Commando unit in question.

Blackman is no better than Amon Goeth, Franz Stangl or Rudolf Hoess. To be fair to them, at least they had the courage of their convictions.
Don't be a dick.

I can well imagine unintelligible gibberish swung it for you.

Who else but the Scotch try to write English with an accent?
Only when we drink it.

It may also have something to do about our canniness with money. Due to me being able to address the haggis in unintelligible gibberish, thanks to Rabbie I've had quite a few freebies, plus expenses for doing so. Wullie? He got me nothing.

Which century were you taught that? Presumably before the body of international humanitarian law was incorporated in to UK civil and military law.
I was taught exactly that in 1974.
In final assault, running through the objective, you put a bullet or bayonet into anyone who isn't actively surrendering.

If they are pretending to be dead it stops them from having a go at you from behind.
If they are dead, it does'nt matter.

Are you suggesting that this is not still the case ?

Toppet

War Hero
Out of curiosity, who owns the helmet cams, Mod or the soldiers themselves?
A mixture of both. The MOD issued headcams for certain units, however individuals sometimes brought their own.

I seem to remember that on Herrick 9 there were plenty of people bringing their own to theatre, but think the practice had been banned by Herrick 13 - whether this was by in-theatre orders, or from somewhere higher in the food chain, I cannot remember.

Why do you think that 'It's only if they've been wounded to the extent that they're hors de combat that the become protected persons.' in any context?
Because, as you admit above and I showed by example, if a person has been wounded but is still fighting they're still a legitimate target. Wounding does not on its own confer protected status.

Because, as you admit above and I showed by example, if a person has been wounded but is still fighting they're still a legitimate target. Wounding does not on its own confer protected status.
They are also a legitimate target if you believe they could still fight,

I was taught exactly that in 1974.
In final assault, running through the objective, you put a bullet or bayonet into anyone who isn't actively surrendering.

If they are pretending to be dead it stops them from having a go at you from behind.
If they are dead, it does'nt matter.

Are you suggesting that this is not still the case ?
Agreed, I saw a training team demonstration in late 70s/early 80s of exactly that while fighting through the objective. Not while wandering into a mosque already cleared by another unit, or after dragging en cas around to get them out of sight of other FF.

Agreed, I saw a training team demonstration in late 70s/early 80s of exactly that while fighting through the objective. Not while wandering into a mosque already cleared by another unit, or after dragging en cas around to get them out of sight of other FF.
Agreed, and I was only relating that to an attack on an enemy position in a conventional warfare situation.
Seem to remember it was followed by :
Secure prisoners
Deal with casualties
Check ammunition states
Get off the the objective as it is zeroed in by enemy artillery.

Unconventional warfare is probably quite different.

A mixture of both. The MOD issued headcams for certain units, however individuals sometimes brought their own.

I seem to remember that on Herrick 9 there were plenty of people bringing their own to theatre, but think the practice had been banned by Herrick 13 - whether this was by in-theatre orders, or from somewhere higher in the food chain, I cannot remember.
i cant remember if the ban on unauthorised helmet cams on H10 was at unit or theatre level (i think theatre) but given there were so many small units operating out of PB's scattered across the province it strikes me* as the sort of thing that might get ignored by blokes as bullshit once out from under the all seeing eye of their Coy/Bn hierarchy.

*as it was clear that unauthorised helmet cams were used by some on H10. i saw examples in other units and in my own Bn in the mortars (i only know this because it was a mate of mine who had his confiscated and was bollocked for it)

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
According to @smartascarrots, it is only if they've been wounded to the extent that they're hors de combat that they become protected persons.

What you should have been taught is:
  • close with and kill the enemy,
  • disarm wounded and check the extent of their wounds and
    • if not severe, kill them. (Pop one in the head just to make sure)
    • if very severe, render aid and protection as the situation requires.
I think I prefer your way though.
If you have disarmed them you have them "under control" anyone who follows the chain that you laid out has committed a war crime.

Last edited:
If you have disarmed them you have them under control" anyone who follows the chain that you laid out has committed a war crime.
Indeed... there was more than a touch of sarcasm in there based on this assertion...

"it is only if they've been wounded to the extent that they're hors de combat that they become protected persons."​

Latest Threads