Troops to Teachers

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by devexwarrior, May 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I notice that the coalition include this scheme in their notes on defence in the paper. When the details are released, first to see please stick it on arrse
  2. You'll be waiting a while fella. Money is on a bursary or something of that kind. Will be largely dependent upon qualifications etc on leaving.
  3. I'll be happy with that, I already have

BSC (Hons), PGCE (Post compulsory), Adult Literacy Level 4 Cert, working on an MA and intend to add Numeracy, CELTA and maybe some Project Management. Looking to see what the system might come up with to link that into the state secondary sector.
  4. That's the point... You already have plenty, including a teaching qual. Much like the SPCP which stated that soldiers could get a first degree on leaving the Army - the small print states it's only for those without a Level 3 qual. I expect the control measures on this initiative will be the same or similar and given that you have a level 7 qual I think you'll be a "no no".

Good luck though!
  5. Hmmmm schools could do with some rigour, integrity and discipline. Anybody for it ?
  6. Unless deployed at BG+ strength in each AO, sorry LEA area, I wouldn't go near it with a big stick. As things stand at the moment, the lone enforcer of rigour, integrity and discipline in a school is likely to be hounded and backstabbed, and then the kids will have a go too.

(But I really only wanted to see what things look line on the brand new Arrse.)
  7. Good teachers from the military are JNCO's, they are not that rigid that they follow everything to the letter of the law, may have left at an earlier age which can give an advantage with the age group especially in FE, JNCO's do not spend there time whinging about how much more they got paid in the Army (SNCO's take note). They tend not to tell everyone how much better they ran things when they where a troop SGT or RSM. JNCO's understand that EDIP is from the dark ages and peer tutorage although good is not everything, they understand that Learning Styles assessments are good for about 10 minutes and that a learner can change in moments not just months. A ex JNCO will give 20 press ups not exclude the student and will also understand that the little prick stood in front of him calling him a fat ****** (even though he deserves respect due to his service) is only saying it to seek attention and really what he needs is an interactive lesson with half decent resources and not some one stood in front of him telling how its going to be in his or her classroom.

I know I will be in for a barrage of abuse from the above however I am talking from experience, yes there are excellent SNCO's and Officers teaching but 90% of the problems with ex military teaching is from those 2 catorgories.

You dont need a degree to teach in FE, you can get on a Cert Ed of the back of your military service, you can do a Masters in Advance Educational Practice of the back of your Cert Ed. And you definatly dont need a Masters to teach, it easier by the way if you have a degree and a PGCE especially if you want to teach mainstream.

look at the Tes Jobs web page, Public Service lecturers, upto £31,000. You have to have a degree or vocational area of expertise, the army is your area of vocational expertise. You have to have a Literacy and Numeracy level 2, do this at your local learning centre very easy. You have to have a teaching qual or be willing to undertake one, so you dont even need a teaching qual to get the job. There is a mention of knowledge of sports related activity, you will get the job without this as there is only a small part of the Public Services course that is sports related and when the new diplomas come in even less.

I dont quite know what I have been rabbiting on about now but what I would say is that if your confident in front of a class and you are contemplating becoming a teacher go to a local school or college and volunteer, they will snap your hand off and more than likely your boss will give you time off as its keeping the Army in the public eye, it is only after you have been in a classroom that you will see how different it is from teaching skill at arms.

There are so many that get all the quals and think its the career for them that fall flat on the face, and there are so many that think they are not good enough because they dont think they can pass a degree or cert ed that should be teaching.

Fact: A Masters Degree in Advanced Educational Practice is easier than a Skill at Arms Pass, you may just need a little help in some academic areas to get you there

Anyone need any help in the transition please let me know
  8. Oh dear! I am also talking from experience. The only ex Forces FE teachers (Uniformed Public Services) I have been involved with are ex SNCOs, and fellow ex forces teachers I know were JNCO/WO/SNCOs (Maths, D&T, Science); none display the traits you list above and all are current with modern teaching practices. With the pension top up most of us are earning far in excess of an instructors salary and therefore don't moan about pay (anymore than others do). The verbal abuse you refer to should not be allowed in any working environment and is not normal in any of the places I teach, have a look at Betaris Box to see why "the little prick" is calling you "a fat ******".
    Those involved with the 14-19 curriculum have been planning the introduction of the Public Services Diploma and are quite innovative in the way it will be delivered with no mention of "20 press ups" or "EDIP".
    You are correct to say that you do not need a teaching qualifiaction to teach FE, but with the advent of the 14-19 curriculum this will have to change, think pedagogy. You definitely need a degree and a PGCE to teach in Mainstream (schools).
    Finally, are you really saying that a Skill at Arms course rates the same on the NQF as a Masters Degree?
    One thing I do agree with is the advice to go into a school or college and see if you like what you see. Teaching is enormously rewarding but completly different to any teaching/instruction in the military, kids are made to go to school and there is no rank or military law.
    You may also find that the staffroom is full of retired SNCOs moaning about pay and talking about the the good old days!!!
  9. What I can't understand is why someone would go into a profession with a pay-scale they are not happy with. I am sick of hearing about teachers complaining about their pay. If it's that bad then change profession, or will they miss their 13 weeks a year off? I'm sure teaching is a rewarding carreer and as long as you are not total mong then it's a secure job with a salary upto 32k on MPS, not to mention extra-curriculum salary and then the UPS. Teachers can earn a very good wage and they need to remember they are in the public sector so why should they be paid more than a nurse, police officer etc. If they wish to earn a higher salary then maybe they should have chosen a different carreer. A profession that only works 39 weeks of the year, they are on a pretty good deal in my eyes.