TROOPS TO TAKE LAP OF HONOUR

#1
http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...er/07/11/16/manual_133458.html&TEAMHD=england



TROOPS TO TAKE LAP OF HONOUR

British troops will make a lap of honour at Wembley Stadium before England's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Croatia next Wednesday.

The service men and women have all recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan and will parade before the game.

The event has been organised by the British Forces Foundation who say it will allow the crowds to publicly thank the army, navy and airforce personnel for their efforts in the Middle East.

Images from the parade will be relayed to troops serving in foreign countries.

Mark Cann, director of the Foundation, which stages overseas entertainment for troops, said: "We at the British Forces Foundation do not pass judgment on the rights and wrongs of wars but do think the people who serve their country, on behalf of governments the public elect, deserve the utmost respect and appreciation for what they do.

"We are enormously grateful to the Football Association for starting the scheme."

FA chairman Geoff Thompson said: "Where better than the national stadium, before our national team takes the field, for us to show our appreciation of not just the select few with us at the match, but British men and women serving their country around the world."
This is great to see.
 
#2
eveyoz said:
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/international/england/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/11/16/manual_133458.html&TEAMHD=england



TROOPS TO TAKE LAP OF HONOUR

British troops will make a lap of honour at Wembley Stadium before England's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Croatia next Wednesday.

The service men and women have all recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan and will parade before the game.

The event has been organised by the British Forces Foundation who say it will allow the crowds to publicly thank the army, navy and airforce personnel for their efforts in the Middle East.

Images from the parade will be relayed to troops serving in foreign countries.

Mark Cann, director of the Foundation, which stages overseas entertainment for troops, said: "We at the British Forces Foundation do not pass judgment on the rights and wrongs of wars but do think the people who serve their country, on behalf of governments the public elect, deserve the utmost respect and appreciation for what they do.

"We are enormously grateful to the Football Association for starting the scheme."

FA chairman Geoff Thompson said: "Where better than the national stadium, before our national team takes the field, for us to show our appreciation of not just the select few with us at the match, but British men and women serving their country around the world."
This is great to see.[/quote]

Agreed, but,

Why not Hampden tomorrow? Or any of the other home nations' games?
 
#4
Agreed, but,

Why not Hampden tomorrow? Or any of the other home nations' games?

OH MY GOD!!! How great would that be. I would give anything to parade at hampden tomorrow.

However, on at Wembley this is absolutly a great idea and should be done pretty often. I know in American at sports events they sometimes ask servicemen and woman to stand for an applause of appreciation for their service to their country.
 
#6
'kinnel! Better hope that they don't insist on mandatory drug testing before letting British soldiers on the pitch. Could be very embarrassing
 
#7
Now this is a good move, however I assume it's just the fit and healthy ones that will be parading? How about wheeling some of the ones that have lost limbs out etc, be a far more striking and poignant message to joe public to see those guys...
 
#8
Mongoose said:
Now this is a good move, however I assume it's just the fit and healthy ones that will be parading? How about wheeling some of the ones that have lost limbs out etc, be a far more striking and poignant message to joe public to see those guys...
and the relatives of the fallen.
 
#9
Mongoose said:
Now this is a good move, however I assume it's just the fit and healthy ones that will be parading? How about wheeling some of the ones that have lost limbs out etc, be a far more striking and poignant message to joe public to see those guys...
Yes it would.

Maybe the first part should be the fit and healthy, marching to demonstrate how BritFor normally looks like, then parade the crippled and lame to show how some come back home.

That would be hard hitting and display in no uncertain terms the price that members of our society are paying for protection at home and a better life for others.
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#10
eveyoz said:
It seems like BAFF have pushed for this, I'm not sure why they chose the above venue.
Heard it on Radio 5 last night and it's not BAFF it's British Forces Federation. At the moment they can only get 50 tickets and the FA see no point in just parading the boys & girls around and then booting them out of the stadium.

If there is only 50 tickets you would think that BFF would use them to get the folks out of Selly Oak and Headley Court for a treat. IMHO would have had a better effect. However it may be BFF using it as a little publicity wezzz for themselves?
 
#11
elovabloke said:
eveyoz said:
It seems like BAFF have pushed for this, I'm not sure why they chose the above venue.
Heard it on Radio 5 last night and it's not BAFF it's British Forces Federation. At the moment they can only get 50 tickets and the FA see no point in just parading the boys & girls around and then booting them out of the stadium.

If there is only 50 tickets you would think that BFF would use them to get the folks out of Selly Oak and Headley Court for a treat. IMHO would have had a better effect. However it may be BFF using it as a little publicity wezzz for themselves?
I've just signed out my tin foil on this one too. I've got mixed feelings about this one too. Lets see if anyone at Selly Oak would be willig first. I don't think i'd be comfortable being wheeled out onto the pitch so everyone could say "Look dad, that fella has one leg".
 
Z

Zarathustra

Guest
#12
Hmmm, i've just been told that i've been put forward for a free VIP ticket for this match.

Should i pack my tin foil hat just in case?
 
#14
This should not be exceptional, but should be routine at any and all significant sports events. Even Premiership games could benefit by calling in the local boys and giving them 5 minutes of glory. They have earned it after all!
 
#16
2 R WELSH OP TELIC MEMORIAL SERVICE AND MEDALS PARADE MILLENIUM STADIUM CARDIFF – TUESDAY 11TH DECEMBER 2007

1. The above Parade and Memorial Service will be held to mark the return of 2 R WELSH from Op TELIC 10.

2. The Battalion will form up outside Cardiff Castle at 1000 hrs and will march through Cardiff City Centre, preceded by a Warrior AFV, to the Millenium Stadium. A medals parade, attended by some VIP’s, will commence at 1100 hrs followed immediately by a musical interlude (Morriston Orpheus Male Voice Choir or Katherine Jenkins). The choir will also perform from 1015-1045 as guests and members of public take their seats. The Drumhead Service will take place from 1150 to 1230 hrs.

3. Any members of the Regimental Association who wish to attend as members of public will be most welcome but must be seated at the Stadium by 1015 hrs. Whilst lunch will be provided for members of the Battalion their families and invited guests, it is not possible to provide this for those who wish to attend. There is however a vast range of suitable establishments in the City Centre.

4. The event will finish at approximately 1230 hrs.

5. Entry to the Millenium Stadium will be via Gate 2.




The Welsh assembly is picking up the tab for almost all of this event.
 
#17
Outstanding said:
This should not be exceptional, but should be routine at any and all significant sports events. Even Premiership games could benefit by calling in the local boys and giving them 5 minutes of glory. They have earned it after all!
With the RBL guys doing a collection at the same time for our wounded?
 
#19
if i were put forward for a ticket.... i'd find someone at selly oak and have them go in my place... I agree with all you folk, maybe the public would appreciate things more. Or perhaps its not about appreciation, but rather just giving joe public a better understanding for what is really going out there... perhaps thats a better way at looking at it.

all the best guys! oh, and if anyone is able to take some photos please do and post them...
 
#20
heidtheba said:
Why not Hampden tomorrow? Or any of the other home nations' games?
Because HM the Queen lives nearby, Whitehall and the MoD are down the road, the TV audience is bigger and it must be said that Engerland is bigger.

If you are asking why the Jocks have not bothered to put on a show, I cannot answer.
 

Latest Threads

Top