Troops take lonely walk to diffuse Afghan IEDs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Troops take lonely walk to diffuse Afghan IEDs

By Alex Thomson Updated on 12 March 2010

Alex Thomson is given unique access to one of British army's bomb-disposal units to find out the reality of diffusing improvised explosive devices, the Taliban insurgents' weapon of choice in Afghanistan.

In the war of the IED - Improvised Explosive Device - it is the loneliest of lonely walks. The last 30 yards out from your colleagues, dropping off your cover man 20 yards out from the bomb, writes Alex Thomson.

On your own, you have the last few yards to yourself. You are going into the death zone. A place where if you make a mistake, no flack jacket or helmet will make the slightest difference.
  2. Someone needs to learn the difference between 'diffuse' and 'defuse'.

Pedantic? Moi?
  3. Or even 'defuze' (I think I read it in a STANAG once :p ). Fuses are safety devices in electrical circuits.
  4. Good report (ignoring the obvious errors like Core not Corps etc), but a reasonable snap-shot of life as an ATO in Helmand. A bloody tough job - stay safe boys.
  5. FUSE>Length of easily burnt material for igniting a bomb or explosive

Oxford English Dictionary
  6. Seldom de-fuze, diffuse or defused really. They are disposed to be a real pedantic twat. Clue could be in name of activity - Explosive Ordnance Disposal
  7. Pedantic mode ON

Why would a bomb (an IED) be disposed to be a real pedantic twat? What other dispositions does it have?

Pedantic mode OFF :D
  8. That's a bit optimistic round here.
  9. Hats off to the guys that are doing this day in day out, f..king hero's the lot of 'em! What pisses me off is the fact that the locals dont tell our guys or the ANA of the locations which as the report say's they are aware of! Which probably means they know exactly who is doing it!
    I think its time our lads came home & let the Afghans kill each other, I dont think Afghanistan is worth any more casualties to our troops!