"Troops relief" and the BNP

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by tropper66, Apr 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been told that the charity "Troops Relief" is being run as a patriotic front by a woman called Jo Cleary for the BNP ,any body got any information 0n this
  2. The Times, have an angle she's an opposer . .

BNP accused of muscling in on campaign for wounded soldier - Times Online

Although Simon Irvine isn't so sure . .

3. And if it is so what ! as long as its raising money for squaddies which is more than most parties are doing
  4. And they are not a charity, TR are a 'non profit' organisation but are still a LTd company.

5. Throw enough shit and some of it is bound to stick?
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I have heard this too, and whilst I don't think it matters which party any individual supports, I do have an issue with Ms Cleary. Jo Cleary has been responsible for some pretty nasty character assassination, mostly on Facebook, of Lucy Aldridge. Lucy Aldridge's son Will was one of my comrades who was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2009. Since his death Lucy has thrown herself into charity work under the umbrella of the William Aldridge Foundation: The William Aldridge Foundation, an organisation which Jo Cleary attached herself to pretty early on before falling out with Lucy who objected to certain extreme and racist views being expressed.

From what I gather about her, Jo is the kind of person who flits between one Forces related cause to another. Some of her nastiest attacks on Lucy came after Lucy met Governor Mangal of Helmand. Gov. Mangal was visiting the UK and wanted to meet Will's mum as he had been the youngest soldier to die in Afghanistan. I'm not sure of Jo's party politics, or even if she has any allegiance, but tend to give anything she's connected to, a wide berth.
  7. She seems to be one of these attention seeking f'ckwit who would show her arrse in Tescos if she thought it would get her some publicity, sad cnut
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Crikey, we've never heard of one of those before! What is it that makes a few women (and it is always women) turn into such sad weirdos?

Does she already post on ARRSE? I would not be the least surprised if she did, we already have people with a long track record in this area........................
  9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

There's a certain correlation regarding follicle colouring too. Coincidence? :)
  10. This is she:

She gets about a bit, publicity-wise, a brief google reveals. not to be confused with her namesake from Lambeth council however!

She has come to the attention of the media for running a BNP front organisation before and this is covered in the Arrse thread Other Jo Cleary thread

11. This is her photo from the Troops Relief website About Us | Troops Relief

I can't help having visions of helpful mum's giving hand 'relief' to weary troops leaving the arrivals area at Brize, or offering some 'special relief' up at Gateway House
  12. I thought Hand relief was the naval equivalent of the Army's Troops relief?
  13. it sounds to me that these people who use networking sites like facebook are there to stir trouble between "charities" and are jealous of each other. I have just checked the links posted on here and think it is pathetic that these people cant work together and concentrate on supporting our troops. I also had a look at the Troops Relief website and i cant see any BNP connection or advert on there.
  14. Well thank god for that. Cheers for clearing that one up.,
  15. Hi Jo