Troops in Afghanistan have been betrayed by the Governmen

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Liam Fox: 'troops in Afghanistan have been betrayed by the Government'

Troops in Afghanistan have been "betrayed" by the Government because they do not have enough soldiers to do the job, Liam Fox has said.

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
    Last Updated: 10:05PM BST 15 May 2009

In a wide-ranging interview with The Daily Telegraph the shadow defence secretary has committed the Tories to a strategic defence review that will retain the Trident nuclear submarine replacement.
    As part of plans to shake up the slow pace of development in Afghanistan a new quasi-military battalion of reconstruction workers will also be introduced to work in a war zone and carry guns.

lDr Fox, 47, has condemned the Government for failing in its duty to the Armed Forces.
    "The Government did not plan properly for the wars we were in.
    "Blair was willing to commit our forces into combat and Brown was never willing to properly pay for them.
    "There is now an improvement but it was far too slow. We lost people unnecessarily because the government was not willing to gear up properly for its own military commitments. I think ultimately that's the betrayal of our Armed Forces."
    More on the link
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5329751/Liam-Fox-troops-in-Afghanistan-have-been-betrayed-by-the-Government.html

2. The Conservative party are all over the place when it comes to the current deployments they should stop flip flopping over the deployments they originally agreed with.

Scoring cheep political point at the expense of the forces is disgusting!

3. Will we call such people 'Contractors'?

Blue Sky thinking there....

Or will it be like the US Corps of Engineers?

4. My faith in all things political was broken many years ago, by the cowardly betrayal of our government toward our troops in the province....Why would they be any less indifferent in Afghanistan or Iraq? Northern Ireland is now what Iraq will be in twenty years time, a forgotten campaign. Fought by brave soldiers doing their duty, whilst at the same time being shafted by all and sundry, and then hung out to dry when the Shit hit the fan!!
    No mate i'm not surprised by this report, Just saddened that it has taken so long for it to be highlighted. And now that it has been highlighted will anything change....I suspect not!!!
    Anyone know what time the Bandwagon arrives? Let Westminster know they'll want to jump straight on...If it's politically expedient you understand! :x

5. Err, ----- We have all been bumed over by the SCUM who sent us to war!! The SCUM dont care what happens to any individual on the battle field or when after he\she returns home. And the "DEBT OF GRATITUDE" is a funking myth :!: pay you the minimum of war pension that they can get away with -------- While the Governmental Ministers (The Scum) pillage from the tax man and live the high life and laugh at us all behind closed doors :!: ------ And thats a fact. Do any ministers whant to challange me on that :?: Please contact me personally.