Troops in Afghanistan are being underpaid, computer glitch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DAILY MAIL
    Our troops in Afghanistan are being underpaid because of a computer glitch
    By SIMON CABLE - More by this author »

Last updated on 19th November 2007

Special Forces fighting against the Taliban in Afghanistan are being drastically underpaid after problems with a new computer payment system.

Members of the Special Boat Service are among the hundreds of troops underpaid by up to £400 a month because of faults in the new £269 million Joint Personnel Administration system.

The troops who are risking their lives fighting abroad are in danger of missing mortgage and rent payments because payroll staff are struggling to understand the new system.

Risking their lives: Troops in Afghanistan are losing up to £400 a month because of a computer glitch

They are among 300 servicemen affected by faults in the system, which was introduced to harmonise the £6 billion annual Forces wages.

Some SBS troops, who are recruited almost exclusively from the Royal Marines, are having to rely on help from a welfare fund set up by friends of the unit.

"It must be a worry for those not getting the pay they have expected because their mortgages might be in danger or they might not be able to pay the bills," said Adml Lord Boyce, former head of the Armed Forces. "This might play on people's minds and affect operational efficiency."

Up to 300 other members of the armed forces - many of them soldiers fighting on the front line in Iraq and Afghanistan - are also trying to retrieve lost payments dating back to July.

A commando said he had spoken to a senior officer about the problem but was told he was in the same position. "The thing that annoys me it that we put our lives on line but I have spent half a day sorting out something I should not have to do on leave."

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "We are aware that there have been issues with the rollout of JPA and we would like to apologise to any individuals who may have been inconvenienced as a result."

Also more interesting new articles on the thread Afghan fighting- the latest reports pages 323 &324

2. Already been done but still, for £269 million, you'd think things would be better.

3. In my day a Lance Jack APC worked out the wages on the back of a fag pack. Never made a mistake.