Troops deployed on Britain's streets.

I was a soldier once, and among other deployments I served three tours in Northern Ireland; I, and many of my colleagues, all sworn to the defence of our country found that a deeply unsettling experience to be deployed against supposedly British citizens. The reported contingency plan that in support of a no-deal brexit soldiers sworn to defend this country should be deployed on the streets of mainland Britain against its own population might very well result in open rebellion in some units. We haven't seen such deployment since the Peterloo massacre in 1819, which is generally accepted to have been a Bad Idea. Is this really a risk worth taking just to support one woman's self-aggrandising pig-headedness?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Get your face out of the Guardian,stop reading Twitter and go for a slow coffee in Tescos....listening to the people around you will be more grounding than anything you read online

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I was a soldier once, and among other deployments I served three tours in Northern Ireland; I, and many of my colleagues, all sworn to the defence of our country found that a deeply unsettling experience to be deployed against supposedly British citizens. The reported contingency plan that in support of a no-deal brexit soldiers sworn to defend this country should be deployed on the streets of mainland Britain against its own population might very well result in open rebellion in some units. We haven't seen such deployment since the Peterloo massacre in 1819, which is generally accepted to have been a Bad Idea. Is this really a risk worth taking just to support one woman's self-aggrandising pig-headedness?

I think you're over thinking this. Service Personnel to help sort out traffic queues, Service Personnel at points of entry and Service Personnel to help get stores/supplies into the UK are what they are considering.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think you're over thinking this. Service Personnel to help sort out traffic queues, Service Personnel at points of entry and Service Personnel to help get stores/supplies into the UK are what they are considering.
And not going around shooting UK citizens.

Yeah right...

I heard troops will be allowed to execute any citizen who is unable to display the ability to think for themselves.

I'm joining back up, don't want to miss this opportunity to improve the average IQ of the Nation. Lets Make Britain Great Again!

Don't see what the problem is. You're a/were a soldier. You'll do as you're ordered to do withing the law.

Unless it all goes proper 'fix swords', the police will retain primacy, so in keeping with Op Banner, the army will only be aid to the civil authority.

Personally, I'd sign on again just for shits and giggles.

Nothing to see here...move along.

I think their role will be rather different than in NI.

Were you deeply unsettled during the fire brigade strikes/ the 2012 Olympics/ the foot and mouth epidemic?

You sound wetter than an otter's pocket.

As you have averaged less than 5 posts per year since joining are you sure that this 'made up' subject was worth upping your post count?

If we assume you live in the UK you will have seen troops deployed in the UK to support councils or the police every single year that your avatar has been a member of ARRSE.

They'll be driving trucks and sitting round in motorway service areas clogging up the toilets like they do when on exercise. Hardly going to be baby killers .... yet.....

This will be like the Firemen's strike of the 1990s when the Army and Armed Forces were driving Green Goddess Fire Engines and some more modern ones back in the day. All exciting.

And not going around shooting UK citizens.
Actually, having a few troops to support the police, might actually prevent some of our citizens from shooting/stabbing eachother, so the crime rate may actually fall. Time for a British version of the Carabineri maybe? Something for us handsome as fook veterans to do whilst were swinging lanterns and pulling up sandbags before we die of utter boredom.

@Splitz

Don't forget to post a link to the 'reports' you mentioned above.
You may find that most here have only heard reports describing the units to be called up, and what they plan to be possibly used for, which are VERY different to what you said.

This will be like the Firemen's strike of the 1990s when the Army and Armed Forces were driving Green Goddess Fire Engines and some more modern ones back in the day. All exciting.
... or building bridges after the flooding problems in recent years, or a hundred other times when the poor old squaddie gets jiffed to help out.

Is it the name Op Yellow Clawhammer that's struck fear into the OP maybe? It's what all participants will be issued with to bring rebellious civvies into order....