Troops at the Bank of England

According to the link below
a troop of soldiers wearing bearskins marched into the bank each night.
up until 1973. Was anyone on here part of those troops? I've been inside The Old Lady a couple of times but I didnt know how big she was! Mind you I wouldnt mind one ton of gold let alone 400 :wink:
As safe as the Bank Of England

Livin_on_a_prayer said:
I've got a crowbar and balaclava, anyone up for breaking in tomorrow?
Hmm, if we can find one of the toms from the 70's he might know the layout and make it a quick in and out job. Hang on I've got a plan... all we need is 3 minis a land rover and a coach...

I know some that did it, and were a bit mischievous at times to relieve boredom.

There is a well-known painting of the Bank Picquet returning along the embankment.

The picquet was established after some riot or other, and was made up of something like an officer, drummer, serjeant, old soldier and about 10 others?. Each was tipped by the Bank with a bright shiny coin (not sure of the denomination(s)).

The film "The day they robbed the Bank of England" was based on the picquet being nobbled. PeterO'Toole as the officer being fooled by an IRA & Spam team

WhiteHorse said:
Livin_on_a_prayer said:
I've got a crowbar and balaclava, anyone up for breaking in tomorrow?
Hmm, if we can find one of the toms from the 70's he might know the layout and make it a quick in and out job. Hang on I've got a plan... all we need is 3 minis a land rover and a coach...
The Central Line runs right under the Old Lady, How about we all get some metronet overalls and start to dig our way in!!

I'll give it a miss. Too much effort just to come out with handfuls of Gordon Brown's IOUs.

Plan might be flawed, 400 ton's might be too much for 3 69' mini coopers, how much can a Drops carry?

WhiteHorse said:
Plan might be flawed, 400 ton's might be too much for 3 69' mini coopers, how much can a Drops carry?
I think it's 18T but don't quote me. So that means at least 25 vehicles. Where are we going to find 25 serviceable DROPS vehicles?

Litotes

Well, this will take 380 tons:

Quite a bargain for the Congestion Charge...

Ill be sceptical if you could fit that onto the M25 let along a london street. Altho drive it down downing street and a few other places taking out buildings might be a good detour in itself...

Litotes said:
WhiteHorse said:
I think it's 18T but don't quote me. So that means at least 25 vehicles. Where are we going to find 25 serviceable DROPS vehicles?

Litotes
Blimey thats another 25 to get paid, ok £5 billion split between, say 40 is around £125 mil each, whos in?

I could let you have an impression of the key to the side door for £100M. Or I'll get a copy cut for an extra £7.50.

Or, we could use one of these as a getaway vehicle:

Then you don't have to worry about red lights! :)

The nice thing about Ft Knox is that even if bank robbers show up in a tank, there are plenty of other tanks in the area that can stop them... Not least, hauling 4,000 tons of gold would take quite a lot of Mini Coopers. There was some dispute in the 1980s as to if there actually was any gold in Ft Knox, they randomly selected 7 people throughout the country, had them sign an agreement, and brought them to see the gold. They weren't allowed to say anything other than "Yes, the gold is there."

They really don't like visitors. The White House seems warm and welcoming in comparison.

NTM

California_Tanker said:

The nice thing about Ft Knox is that even if bank robbers show up in a tank, there are plenty of other tanks in the area that can stop them... Not least, hauling 4,000 tons of gold would take quite a lot of Mini Coopers. There was some dispute in the 1980s as to if there actually was any gold in Ft Knox, they randomly selected 7 people throughout the country, had them sign an agreement, and brought them to see the gold. They weren't allowed to say anything other than "Yes, the gold is there."

They really don't like visitors. The White House seems warm and welcoming in comparison.

NTM
Nonsense! All we need to get in there is a couple of Piper Cherokees dispensing sleeping gas and a really over-elaborate method of dispatching any interfering British secret agents. Didn't you see Goldfinger, ffs?

IMHO, the biggest impediment to knocking the place over is that you'd have to go to Kentucky.

You'd get free fried chicken......

Latest Threads