Trooping the Colour

On BBC1 now,including live link up to Afghanistan.
Happy Birthday Ma'am & good luck & stay safe to the Guardsmen off to theatre.
Regards,
Spike

I bet there pleased they havent got the rain thats covering the rest of the uk today. Good seeing the link to Afghan showing the public that they can do both combat and ceremonial to a high standard. Keep up the good work. I dont think that live link worked too well though :oops:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Considering the operational work they the parade soldiers had done or were training for, that was an extremely smart parade. Mind you, the lad that lost his bayonet will have an expensive and busy next few weekends!!

I suppose for this one we can say, quite rightly, Good Drill(s).

As like every year, really enjoyed watching this on the box.
Would really like to go before I depart for the big tank park in the sky.
Anybody tell me how you get tickets (been trying to find the source for a few years now)?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Rackcatchplunger said:
As like every year, really enjoyed watching this on the box.
Would really like to go before I depart for the big tank park in the sky.
Anybody tell me how you get tickets (been trying to find the source for a few years now)?
Try this

Trooping the Colour tickets

You can also attend the Major General's and the Colonel's Reviews (the rehersals) held the two weekends prior to the big day. For all three parades you need to get your application in early though- Jan/Feb time.

Edit- Don't forget Beating Retreat either.

hedgie said:
How much practice actually goes into the Parade
Weeks if not months in advance,
plenty of very early mornings on the Drill squares at Chelsea Barracks and at Wellington Barracks. Pounding the tarmac and getting personal drill
to a very high standard.

The Battery i am affiliated to are as we speak, Going through rehearsals
to take over the Queens Guard at Buckingham Palace come July.
In addition we also will cover the guard at St,James Palace and Challenging
the "Queens Keys" at the Tower Of London.

PS...I have very sore feet at the Mo..... :wink:

was excellent as usual especially the music which completes the whole parade. by the way are they really going to hold the beach volleyball at horse guards? if so how stupid

I recall, a few years back, that the parade was held in pouring rain, but the Guardsmen remained at the 'slope' theroughout the various manouvres.

Is there any form of "secure arms" in the drill book for the SA80? (Come to that, was there one for the SLR?)
Is it, that it is not considered smart/respectful enough to march past at the 'secure' (in rain)?
Is it that the SA80 is considered rust proof?
Are there other precaution taken in such circumstances?

Tom
(Who's never even seen an SA80 close to, let alone handled one).

I did QBP twice as a donkey walloper in 86 and 87. IIRC, there are three main rehearals: String Band, Major General´s and Colonel´s. The string band is on a weekday at about 4 in the morning. It is a full parade but in No 2 with bearskins and the band is represented by four bods holding a piece of string in a big square and one bass drummer. The Major General´s is a full dress parade as per the real thing with full band. It is open to the public and is held two weeks before the real thing. The salute is taken by the GOC London District. The Colonel´s rehearsal is the last full dress rehearsal and the salute is taken by the Duke of Edinburgh. One week before the parade and open to the public. Also, I think that the Foot Guards mount Queens Guard on Horse Guards prior to marching to the palace during the last two weeks before QBP as part of the rehearsal process.

May I have your leave to carry on please Sir?

It takes an Auld-Yin to spot the missing bayonet. Poor sod! I loved the subtle, deadpan dig at the Coldstream from the Grens' CO on the live link - Pity it was one of his wot done the dirty deed. Which brings up a question for those that know. Is a formal 'fix bayonets' done at Welly Bks on parade with the public peering through the bars before they start round the corner and down the Mall to get to Horseguards? If so, (only having done the most basic of drill with SA80 - No 4 and SLR man meself until my very last days in the Firm) with a weapon that never touches the floor drill-wise, from what position is a 'fix bayonets' achieved, and how do you do it with only two hands?

Otherwise agree with all - good drills - Happy Birthday Ma'am.

I very much enjoyed this as usual.

Was it just me or was there much more behind the scenes stuff this year from the BBC.

It was a bit of a shock to hear a raspy, and it has to to be said, somewhat weedy female voice giving commands, but I suppose I am just out of step with this modern army.

Well done all.

Jorrocks said:
I did QBP twice as a donkey walloper in 86 and 87. IIRC, there are three main rehearals: String Band, Major General´s and Colonel´s. The string band is on a weekday at about 4 in the morning. It is a full parade but in No 2 with bearskins and the band is represented by four bods holding a piece of string in a big square and one bass drummer. The Major General´s is a full dress parade as per the real thing with full band. It is open to the public and is held two weeks before the real thing. The salute is taken by the GOC London District. The Colonel´s rehearsal is the last full dress rehearsal and the salute is taken by the Duke of Edinburgh. One week before the parade and open to the public. Also, I think that the Foot Guards mount Queens Guard on Horse Guards prior to marching to the palace during the last two weeks before QBP as part of the rehearsal process.

May I have your leave to carry on please Sir?
Shouldn't that read:

May I have your leave to carry on Sir, Please?