Trooping the colour

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chrisg46, Jun 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Watching the trooping the colour on the box at the mo (thats why i have put this in current), and the mrs to be has asked why arent they all wearing white gloves? I thought they should be as well, anyone shed any light? Been a while since i have even looked at drill properly...

2. No idea, but in this heat I couldn't blame them if they ditched the bearskins and undid their top buttons!!! No wobbly knees yet, which is very impressive.

Remember ladies and gentlemen, if you join the British Army you spend your entire time doing this when you're not being shouted at...

3. Thrilling to sit indoors and watch isn't it? Does anyone know if it's repeated so I can spot anything I missed the first time?

4. chrisg46

i got up early especially!!

I think i have spotted a few machine gun effects but nothing major, certainly not gone to rat shit though. No one does this like the brits IMHO

5. Yes this evening BBC 2 18:00 hrs or 18:20hrs not certain about the time but you might miss an error as it's just the highlights.Get your bonoculars ready

6. chrisg46 full sergeants and above wear gloves seperates senior ranks from lower ranks also they wear a red sash and gold chevrons or crown on there arms

7. Is it broadcast in aus, canada etc? I imagine it is.

8. I dunno when white gloves, for all, were dropped. Prolly summat to do with the SA80?

We certainly wore them in the late 1980s, with SLRs (that's somethyme in the last century).

They were 'orribule things to do ceremonial arms drill in, being very heavy knitted cotton.

Almost as bad, as the concrete Russian Grey greatcoats, which are still used.

All best wishes to our junior Guards regiment, The Welsh Guards.

Who waved their flag so well, in one of the best Birthday Parades that I have ever witnessed, in 30 years of service (not quite matching the 54 years of our Queen, as Queen, but who first inspected her father the the King's Birthday Parade in 1947).

--
    batty
    (Coldstream Guards, retd)

9. Does anyone know if BBC World will show it?

10. AFAIK the uniform jackets are a lot lighter these days. They're still going to be very uncomortable but if an old hand were to wear one he'd be able to stand there for days.

11. Great parade, well done all, especially the Welsh Guards, and nice of the RAF to make a bit of a special effort this year.

12. Comes from the fact that we are no longer an industrial nation. We cannot produce the heavy wool melton fabric.

I guess we now import some pseudo silk dross from India or China.

Still, much more comfortable for the planks, even if it does look shite.

Nice to see so many Canadian Bears on parade - thank glod they knocked the fake fur on the head.

--
    batty.

13. chrisg46

d a feeling it was summat along those lines, i just remembered that we all wore white gloves when i did a colours parade in windsor back in 97. Has that recently changed or just a guards thing?

14. Only Sgts and above wear white gloves unless in Greatcoat order when everyone wears them.

15. I believe it's partly to do with the expense of good quality woolen and cotton clothing but I also think that comfort was a factor.

I agree they don't look half as good.