Trooping the Colour

Can someone explain how two equal-length ranks move into three ranks when the only movement I noticed were some of the rear rank stepping forward to form the centre rank? Or did I miss something in the short time it took to execute the manoeuvre?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Can someone explain how two equal-length ranks move into three ranks when the only movement I noticed were some of the rear rank stepping forward to form the centre rank? Or did I miss something in the short time it took to execute the manoeuvre?
Yes!

However, it is a fairly simple drill movement. Men from the front rank do indeed move back into the centre rank, so some from the back come forward and slightly to the side and some go back from the front rank and to the other side, leaving 3 ranks of equal numbers. Before they march on they guys all get togeter to decide who gets to move.

Enjoyed the whole Trooping, except for that policeman on a motorbike leading the parade down the Mall. Is he really necessary, or just making a statement about his importance?

Bet it was one of the Welsh, Path Profiles?????
Ok Trigger, the original question was "Anyone notice the Mick pipers on the back of the massed band adding some much needed class to the proceedings?" Now the Irish piper may have been one of God's own, however it's not very likely.

Ok Trigger, the original question was "Anyone notice the Mick pipers on the back of the massed band adding some much needed class to the proceedings?" Now the Irish piper may have been one of God's own, however it's not very likely.
Shouldn't comment, to be honest, I didn't watch it, until this evening
No Welsh out of step then?

Mick pipers went back to barracks with the Taffs. Conmel led the Taffs down. I didn't see the Mick pipers march down, they just appeared by Mick magic. My money is on the Micks to Troop next year. I was standing on the Grassy Knoll

Z

Zarathustra

I haven't done it in a few years, and can't seem to find a video or explanation of it.

It goes a little something like this:

The front a rear ranks will be split down into three groups.

group 1 stands still

group 2 step to the rear (for the front rank) or to the front (for the rear rank) and take a step to either the left or right (I can't remember which ranks moves which direction)

group 3 side steps to fill the gap of the person who moved to the front or rear

gutted

only got to see the change from slow to quick time and beyond on highlights. didn't get to see the shots of the march past from behing the queen. everything seemed to go tickety boo.

I had an interesting conversation with my boss about taking my lunch break from 11-12 today to go and annoy curry's, by watching the troop in their shop! he didn't understand my need to see the jocks troop the colour and ended up saying "If it hasn't changed for 80 odd years and you did it 30 years ago, why do you want to watch it?" I gracefully wound my neck in and saved myself from getting my P45!!!! civvy bastard.

well done the jocks.

Is this now the first time in 14 eyars there's been a proper Trooping? E.g. No toss troop! Still I know of when a whole yard of horses had ringworm (quite a common problem when the new ones arrive each year) and what the Cav do? They created a whole 24 man division of infected horses and carried on with the Trooping as per usual.
I think the Kings troop should be banned from attending for the next 10 years for this.

Love the 2 to 3 ranks manovure, always looks impressive wether on TV or sat right behind them, that an the march down the Mall.

Well doen to all involved.

Enjoyed the whole Trooping, except for that policeman on a motorbike leading the parade down the Mall. Is he really necessary, or just making a statement about his importance?
Totally agree, and he was not necessary, a fcuking hi viz vest on too, it looked fcuking stupid. A marvellous event though, apart from him.

Reduced number of guards too, due to available bods no doubt. Looked a little odd with the short leg on the admiralty side.

Bloody Good job though gents, well done.

Isn't there enough ex Guards in the met to at least have one sinlge file line to march down the Mall?

Bone point but I did notice only SNCO's and officers wore white gloves today is this allways the case?

Z

Zarathustra

Bone point but I did notice only SNCO's and officers wore white gloves today is this allways the case?
Yes, only SNCOs and Officers wear white gloves when wearing tunic, all ranks wear them while wearing great coats

Yes, only SNCOs and Officers wear white gloves when wearing tunic, all ranks wear them while wearing great coats
Guards tradition I take it? When in NO1's for public duties in Edinburgh we wore White gloves regardless of rank.

Totally agree, and he was not necessary, a fcuking hi viz vest on too, it looked fcuking stupid. A marvellous event though, apart from him.
Sadly, Metpol seem to think they run the show when it comes to Duties. Much as it amuses me to see tourists scatter when charged by a police horse I prefer to be a bit more proactive and see them move when shifted by 6'4" and 15 stone of L/Sgt bearing down on them with a very pointy trombone slide! I'll march either over or through you - the choice is yours...

Tubs