Trooping the Colour

No,these were actual guys playing instruments that had swords, i did look to see what rank they were but most seemed just to be regular Guardsmen and not SNCO's/WO's.That was the reason for my querey.
Trust me on this one, they would have been BSMs/BMs you were looking at.

Tubs

Anyone notice the Mick pipers on the back of the massed band adding some much needed class to the proceedings? ;)

Kilt my good man. Kilt. And don't knock it til you've tried it. There's nothing like a cool breeze around your balls

Thought the Commanding Officer gave good clear orders. The Beeb seemed not to notice his MC but then the commentry has gone down in quality in my opinion
His MC was won in 1997 (or thereabouts) in Sierra Leonne, so probably not really newsworthy in the current climes, he did pick up a QCVS for the Afghan tour. (Although IMO they could have linked his MC with the one won by LCpl Stephen Monkhouse MC (posthumous) in Afghan last year).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As an aside good to see a 'royal' posting.
There has been a Royal posting on this site since at least, Oh.... 29/04/2005 and before in fact :)

Does anyone know if anyone in ceremonials is carrying a loaded gat in these days of heightened terrorist threat? Or would they leave that to the many armed members of civ pol who seem to be lining the parade route.
I always thought that it was weapons unloaded at these things. I have a mate who served in op banner back in the seventies, and even on patrol there he reckons he never carried more than 10 rounds.
I did public duties as a member of 1RGJ back in 1976. It was very unusual for green jobs to do it in those days. We asked about carrying live rounds and they said no, "if you get a problem, call a policeman".

Here's a link to some pics of it: Public Duties

10 rounds doesn't seem much? I did 3 tours across across the water and carried 20 rounds on the streets of Belfast and roughly 200 rounds in South Armagh, 50 of which were for the GPMG. If I was carrying the GPMG, then I carried about 600 rounds from memory.

I know who invented Tropping the Colour.

I see steady Eddy has another outfit to add to his ruritarian wardrobe. What's he now C-i-C of the London Scottish? He must've got bored with the RWY rig. And WTF is four gold stripes with a Tate & Lyle wapped on them? Not seen that before. Is it a new thing for the GSM? I'm assuming it was Billy Mott?
Love that GSM, he can soldier.
Prince fancy-pants looks more and more like Lady Ga-Ga with his proliferation of fancy garments. His dad must squirm.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I did public duties as a member of 1RGJ back in 1976. It was very unusual for green jobs to do it in those days. We asked about carrying live rounds and they said no, "if you get a problem, call a policeman".

Here's a link to some pics of it: Public Duties
Urban legends springing from that time still live on in Rifles lore!

Terrific parade, well done to the Guards, although I thought it lacked a little of the usual snap this year, but I suppose a lot of the guys were a bit chinstraped after Afgan and getting ready to go out again, non the less, bloody well done.
What a silly post.

Have a butcher's hook at this thread. 'Tis an oldie, but a goodie. Some of those are still retold in NAAFIs to this day!

http://www.arrse.co.uk/films-music-all-things-artsy/29695-green-jackets-guard-buck-house.html
Lol. Thanks for that. I was part of the Clarence House contingent. We did the ceremonial bit at Buck house and then marched up the road to Clarence House. I was the senior out of my stagging mate and me so I gave all the commands by tapping my SLR butt on the ground. Loads of tourists got the full present arms treatment and we even obliged the postman with it as well. My mate quite often would hear the single tap to set off on a little march up the road and when he turned around to march back to his spot would see that he was the only one marching. I'd still be standing there as if no command had been given. The Queen Mum came out in her car one morning and the policeman said to me, here she comes, and bloody hell, the car was so quick, she was out of the gate, up the road and gone before we had got our rifles 12 inches of the ground. The next time I was there when she sped out, the car actually slowed down in front of us. I swear she was giving us a chance to get our rifles actually into the present before she got out of sight. Fun but if I wanted to do that sort of soldiering, I would have joined the Guards. I would sooner be working across the water than there. I think everybody felt the same.