Trooping the Colour

Does anyone know if anyone in ceremonials is carrying a loaded gat in these days of heightened terrorist threat? Or would they leave that to the many armed members of civ pol who seem to be lining the parade route.
I always thought that it was weapons unloaded at these things. I have a mate who served in op banner back in the seventies, and even on patrol there he reckons he never carried more than 10 rounds.
Don't need loaded weapons - Bayonets see! They don't like it up 'em!

Too many picturesof Septic and Japtourists though.

Just seen the fast jets over Colchester on thier way to Buck house!!!

I see steady Eddy has another outfit to add to his ruritarian wardrobe. What's he now C-i-C of the London Scottish? He must've got bored with the RWY rig. And WTF is four gold stripes with a Tate & Lyle wapped on them? Not seen that before. Is it a new thing for the GSM? I'm assuming it was Billy Mott?

Z

Zarathustra

I see steady Eddy has another outfit to add to his ruritarian wardrobe. What's he now C-i-C of the London Scottish? He must've got bored with the RWY rig. And WTF is four gold stripes with a Tate & Lyle wapped on them? Not seen that before. Is it a new thing for the GSM? I'm assuming it was Billy Mott?

For the Royal Wedding of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton in April 2011, GSM Mott was presented with a new insignia of rank reviving the original one made for Sergeant Majors appointed to the Court of King William IV in the early 19th century. It incorporates the Royal Coat of Arms worn by selected Warrant Officers Class 1 of The Household Division, placed over four chevrons sewn in gold thread, the traditional badge of the Sergeant Major. The badge was researched by the staff at The Guards Museum and commissioned by Major General Commanding the Household Division, Major General William Cubitt CBE, before being approved by HM The Queen.
www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk - Billy Mott

..And WTF is four gold stripes with a Tate & Lyle wapped on them? Not seen that before. Is it a new thing for the GSM? I'm assuming it was Billy Mott?
For the Royal Wedding of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton in April 2011, GSM Mott was presented with a new insignia of rank reviving the original one made for Sergeant Majors appointed to the Court of King William IV in the early 19th century. It incorporates the Royal Coat of Arms worn by selected Warrant Officers Class 1 of The Household Division, placed over four chevrons sewn in gold thread, the traditional badge of the Sergeant Major. The badge was researched by the staff at The Guards Museum and commissioned by Major General Commanding the Household Division, Major General William Cubitt CBE, before being approved by HM The Queen.

click the link, WO1 (GSM) WDG 'Billy' Mott OBE, Welsh Guards

STILTS

Righto. That's that explained. Looks well spiffy. I wonder if you can get them in subdued? Taxi!

It's a shame one of them there pongos didn't stick his bayonet into Clare Balding's throat and do us all a favour.

Terrific parade, well done to the Guards, although I thought it lacked a little of the usual snap this year, but I suppose a lot of the guys were a bit chinstraped after Afgan and getting ready to go out again, non the less, bloody well done.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I see steady Eddy has another outfit to add to his ruritarian wardrobe. What's he now C-i-C of the London Scottish? He must've got bored with the RWY rig.
I think Household Div, of which the London Regt is a part of, was the order of the day. He being their Col-in-C, I guess it would have been rather 'low rent' to dress up in one of his other outfits.

Don't know if being their Colonel gives him dibs on which one of their four capbadges to wear. Perhaps he went for the Jocks as a nod to the Scots Guards?

I think Household Div, of which the London Regt is a part of, was the order of the day. He being their Col-in-C, I guess it would have been rather 'low rent' to dress up in one of his other outfits.

Don't know if being their Colonel gives him dibs on which one of their four capbadges to wear. Perhaps he went for the Jocks as a nod to the Scots Guards?
He had to choose which cap badge he would wear when he assumed the Royal Colonelcy. He went with London Jocks.

Cheers

I have 2 questions.Bloody good show though,cant beat the Pipes and Drums.

1.Why do some of the members of the Band wear Swords and the rest just a bayonette?

2.Why does Princess Anne ride with the Royal Colonels but there seems to be a gap between her and the next horse,as if there was a missing horse.Or does she need to brush her horse riding technique up?

I have 2 questions.Bloody good show though,cant beat the Pipes and Drums.

1.Why do some of the members of the Band wear Swords and the rest just a bayonette?

2.Why does Princess Anne ride with the Royal Colonels but there seems to be a gap between her and the next horse,as if there was a missing horse.Or does she need to brush her horse riding technique up?
1. The Director of Music (Capt-Lt Col.), the Bandmaster (WO1) and the Band Sergeant Major (WO2) of each Foot Guards Band all wear swords.

2. Haven't got a clue, horses really aren't my thing!

Tubs

White are Lance Sergeants (Corporals to you and I). The gold are proper Sergeants.
Cheers, had a search and came up with nothing. Now i know.

1. The Director of Music (Capt-Lt Col.), the Bandmaster (WO1) and the Band Sergeant Major (WO2) of each Foot Guards Band all wear swords.

Tubs
No,these were actual guys playing instruments that had swords, i did look to see what rank they were but most seemed just to be regular Guardsmen and not SNCO's/WO's.That was the reason for my querey.

Why does Princess Anne ride with the Royal Colonels but there seems to be a gap between her and the next horse,as if there was a missing horse.Or does she need to brush her horse riding technique up?

Ask Ms Balding.Apparently she knows a little bit about horses.

Z

Zarathustra

No,these were actual guys playing instruments that had swords, i did look to see what rank they were but most seemed just to be regular Guardsmen and not SNCO's/WO's.That was the reason for my querey.
The band wear different Bayonetts to the rest of us. (They're Musicians not Guardsmen)