Trooping the Colour

Good Luck and Best Wishes to 1st Battalion Irish Guards for tomorrow morning. Have a good parade.

Sadly I'll miss it as I'll be sitting on a yacht in the middle of the Channel - it's normally required viewing in the Qm household.

(Question: What do people do if they want to record telly programmes these days now that video is a thing of the past?)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Sky+ I'm afraid. More money to Keith Rupert Murdoch's evil empire....

Assuming this isn't a Wah.

have you heard of DVD-RW? or HDD? both cover the void left by video.....or resort to using a video, they still work.

S_R

p.s. good luck to the guards...always good viewing if only to try and spot the Bandsman who gets lost in the middle of the static wheel.

Mr_Fingerz said:
Sky + is fantastic and well worth the money. Even my Mother in Law is able to record programmes solo rather than having to have a 12 page hand written instruction for the video every time she wants to record some tosh or other.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Mr_Fingerz said:
Sky + is fantastic and well worth the money. Even my Mother in Law is able to record programmes solo rather than having to have a 12 page hand written instruction for the video every time she wants to record some tosh or other.
So is a DVD RW freeview box and you're not giving money to Rupert Murdoch to hide in a tax haven.

tattybadger said:
here's an almost prelude for you:

Micks getting togged up
The Guardsman looked like he was going to crack up at any minute, good luck to him, I'm gutted as I'm working all Saturday so I'll have to watch it on iplayer or some alternative..

Sympathetic_Reaction said:

have you heard of DVD-RW? or HDD? both cover the void left by video.....or resort to using a video, they still work.

S_R

p.s. good luck to the guards...always good viewing if only to try and spot the Bandsman who gets lost in the middle of the static wheel.
It's NOT a Wah, it's an age thing and a being poor thing! I've been left behind a bit on the technology front. I wont get Sky on principle - I refuse to give money to Murdoch. Cnut.

The video machine under the telly had both vid & DVD slots but young master Qm (aged 3) loaded his toast into the vid one a while ago and tried to then ferret it out with some Playdoh....... As for DVD-RW and HDD - No, I've not heard of it/them, so am off now to do some research. Thanks.

And by the way, it's called the Spin Wheel!

Good luck to the Bog Trotters, have a good one and I will be watching from my settee to see if the dressing is as good as it was in my day :wink:

As an aside, they tried to keep a quantity of the SLR's when the SA80 first came out purely for QBP. This was kicked into touch and they spent 4 months or so through the winter on an abandoned airfield practising the whole QBP with the SA80 to ensure the drill movements were correct :x

johnboyzzz said:
Good luck to the Bog Trotters, have a good one and I will be watching from my settee to see if the dressing is as good as it was in my day :wink:

As an aside, they tried to keep a quantity of the SLR's when the SA80 first came out purely for QBP. This was kicked into touch and they spent 4 months or so through the winter on an abandoned airfield practising the whole QBP with the SA80 to ensure the drill movements were correct :x
Queue 600 blokes in a nice neat straight line outside the Commanding Officers office on memoranda to sign the fcuk off!!

johnboyzzz said:

I think it a shame they don't carry a 'proper' looking rifle when doing ceremonial. The old SLR was a dream to do drill with, so was the .303 and they both looked the part - I asked the Brigade Major the question whilst working at HQ LONDIST some years ago. He exploded in an almost Bateman-esque manner. He spluttered something about being highly modern soldiers ready and prepared to die for their Sovereign etc etc. I then gently pointed out that perhaps the soldiers should then wear Combat kit on guard mount and the QBP and the officers be armed with rifles too. Well, you can image what followed....... Have you ever seen a Staff Captain hide under a desk?

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Mr_Fingerz said:
So is a DVD RW freeview box and you're not giving money to Rupert Murdoch to hide in a tax haven.
I use one of these: Toppy does the job very well. Freeview only but it does me.

Misses is working tomorrow so I can watch it uninterupted.

Queensman said:
I think it a shame they don't carry a 'proper' looking rifle when doing ceremonial. The old SLR was a dream to do drill with, so was the .303 and they both looked the part - I asked the Brigade Major the question whilst working at HQ LONDIST some years ago. He exploded in an almost Bateman-esque manner. He spluttered something about being highly modern soldiers ready and prepared to die for their Sovereign etc etc. I then gently pointed out that perhaps the soldiers should then wear Combat kit on guard mount and the QBP and the officers be armed with rifles too. Well, you can image what followed....... Have you ever seen a Staff Captain hide under a desk?
He could not have had his buttons in threes then :)

Queensman said:
Sympathetic_Reaction said:

S_R

It's NOT a Wah, it's an age thing and a being poor thing! I've been left behind a bit on the technology front. I wont get Sky on principle - I refuse to give money to Murdoch. Cnut.

The video machine under the telly had both vid & DVD slots but young master Qm (aged 3) loaded his toast into the vid one a while ago and tried to then ferret it out with some Playdoh....... As for DVD-RW and HDD - No, I've not heard of it/them, so am off now to do some research. Thanks.

And by the way, it's called the Spin Wheel!
You can get DVD players which also record, they tend to be a bit tempramental, especially if you want to use them on other DVD players.

The HDD stuff is similar to SKY+ but doesn't rely on you having sky, it will work on anything. You can get both in one machine, so you can record to the HDD temporarily and if the HDD gets full transfer stuff you want to keep onto disc.

I did know the Spin Wheel had a different name, just not what it was. My mother was in a Youth orchestra with a chap who went onto be in the Army School of Music....he always said that it was an oboeist who got lost as they were closer to the centre. it didn't matter as no-one knew how to do it anyway and people sorted themselves out in the end.

S_R

johnboyzzz said:
Queensman said:
He could not have had his buttons in threes then :)
No, indeed not. He was a Donkey Walloper of some description - either Blues & Jews or Swimming Pool Attendant - can't remember which.

F

fozzy

I was watching last week at the Colonel's Review and it was gleaming - unlike the weather! The natty "remove capes" looked the business.

I hope you all dried out!

Good luck for tomorrow.