Trooping the Colour

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Luck and Best Wishes to 1st Battalion Irish Guards for tomorrow morning. Have a good parade.

Sadly I'll miss it as I'll be sitting on a yacht in the middle of the Channel - it's normally required viewing in the Qm household.

(Question: What do people do if they want to record telly programmes these days now that video is a thing of the past?)

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Sky+ I'm afraid. More money to Keith Rupert Murdoch's evil empire....

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Assuming this isn't a Wah.

have you heard of DVD-RW? or HDD? both cover the void left by video.....or resort to using a video, they still work.

S_R

p.s. good luck to the guards...always good viewing if only to try and spot the Bandsman who gets lost in the middle of the static wheel.

4. All the best to the Micks on their big day and in particular to their RSM.

Trahere.

5. Sky + is fantastic and well worth the money. Even my Mother in Law is able to record programmes solo rather than having to have a 12 page hand written instruction for the video every time she wants to record some tosh or other.

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

So is a DVD RW freeview box and you're not giving money to Rupert Murdoch to hide in a tax haven.

7. Laptop dongle. Hauppage - but there may be others.

Technology not horribly new, but I record as wmv file. Approx 10 meg per minute.

8. The Guardsman looked like he was going to crack up at any minute, good luck to him, I'm gutted as I'm working all Saturday so I'll have to watch it on iplayer or some alternative..

9. It's NOT a Wah, it's an age thing and a being poor thing! I've been left behind a bit on the technology front. I wont get Sky on principle - I refuse to give money to Murdoch. Cnut.

The video machine under the telly had both vid & DVD slots but young master Qm (aged 3) loaded his toast into the vid one a while ago and tried to then ferret it out with some Playdoh....... As for DVD-RW and HDD - No, I've not heard of it/them, so am off now to do some research. Thanks.

And by the way, it's called the Spin Wheel!

10. Could've groomed his skin!!! : )

Good luck to the Micks, will raise a glass for you.

Septem juncta in uno

11. Good luck to the Bog Trotters, have a good one and I will be watching from my settee to see if the dressing is as good as it was in my day :wink:

As an aside, they tried to keep a quantity of the SLR's when the SA80 first came out purely for QBP. This was kicked into touch and they spent 4 months or so through the winter on an abandoned airfield practising the whole QBP with the SA80 to ensure the drill movements were correct :x

12. Queue 600 blokes in a nice neat straight line outside the Commanding Officers office on memoranda to sign the fcuk off!!

13. I think it a shame they don't carry a 'proper' looking rifle when doing ceremonial. The old SLR was a dream to do drill with, so was the .303 and they both looked the part - I asked the Brigade Major the question whilst working at HQ LONDIST some years ago. He exploded in an almost Bateman-esque manner. He spluttered something about being highly modern soldiers ready and prepared to die for their Sovereign etc etc. I then gently pointed out that perhaps the soldiers should then wear Combat kit on guard mount and the QBP and the officers be armed with rifles too. Well, you can image what followed....... Have you ever seen a Staff Captain hide under a desk?

14. Cow

Cow LE

I use one of these: Toppy does the job very well. Freeview only but it does me.

Misses is working tomorrow so I can watch it uninterupted.