Trooping The Colour- Prince Charles Speaks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brandt, Jun 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "the world would be a sadder, drearier and greyer place without it."

Thank God someone in a position of leadership in this country has the cohones to say that something is A Good Thing because it is smart, gives us pride in ourselves, and demonstrates to the rest of the World that we are something special. Well done, Sir.

2. Some of the GREAT things about the British Army seem to be under threat. The ceremonials that make EVERY serviceman PROUD to be associated to, in what ever small way?
    They drew me to join for example. These are its Traditions, that add to the personal and social view of "soldiering". The Pomp and circumstance, are not "optional". The Sense of "Belonging" to something that is Bigger than you are, is directly drawn from these events.
    When will the dead of Hearted Morons, that pass for Britain's government, understand you MUST maintain these relics of a Past age?
  3. It's one of the few things left that make me proud to be British. Long may it continue.
  4. Well said sir, good parade and good to see the lads over by watching on.

Hopefully Cyclops (smug barsteward looked as if he wanted to be elsewhere) sees sense and rewards the boys and girls much better, I wont hold my breath though.

Just a shame he wasn't standing in front of the 1200 odd on parade they could have used some bayonet practice.
  5. Indeed, a very well executed parade, the ensign (2lt. Finnegan?) did a great job and the Welsh Guards can be proud.

I agree John, he did look like he would rather be in his office planning new stealth taxes and budget-poaching but he couldn't escape.
  6. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

i watch it every year - and yes brandt i agree with you - it demonstrates you're a special nation

the welsh guards did a great job - same as everyone else who has taken part
  7. A great parade, perfectly done. The spinwheel formation carried out by the band is amazing.

I noticed that before the right and left forms - the guardsmen seemed to change arms - why is that?? I have only ever done this movement with an SLR, and we never changed arms.

Made me so proud to be British !!
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Brilliant show as always but why did the beeb have to show that 2 faced coniving lier?! Totally ruined the moment!
  9. He was caught looking the floor wasn't he? He couldn't look 'em in the eye :roll:
  10. I started shouting at the damn television when they showed that smug knobber.
  11. They “change arms” several times.

Fortunately, I did not have to do any drill with the SA80 (just fired the damn thing - I normally fire left handed, and of course could not with the SA80), and others with relevant experience/knowledge can confirm.

But, I understand the “change arms” is to give some relief to the arm that has been bearing the weight of the weapon. In contrast, you will recall, when stationary with the SLR, the weapon is grounded and the whole weight rested on the ground.
  12. Even just thirty minutes or so holding the weapon with one arm is sodding agony.
  13. There was a moment during the interview with Prince Charles, which was shown last night, and included this morning. Whilst Prince Charles was responding to a question about Prince Harry in Afghanistan, his eyes rolled and his head rose just slightly, to emphasise how they had had to overcome the “problems to get him out there”. Nice to know, and reassuring to know, that Prince Charles had been involved in helping Prince Harry overcome those who would have objected to Prince Harry being mobilised.
  14. A very good parade. I was lucky enough to be on the roof of the Admiralty concrete bunker building on the left of the square.

Fantastic weather and well done the Guards!
  15. The HCav and Guards are clearly all mincing queens but there are few things more right and British than the Trooping of the Colour.

It could be made slightly better by the sacrificing of a Bandy :D