• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Troop Commanders Course

P

Penfold

How come that just after we get a green subbie from Sandhurst and they have just started to get the hang of things the Corps sends them off to Blandford?

It seems that when they return to the unit they know less than when they left and have been taught a whole load of c### whilst they were there.

Is there a better solution available?

CGS

War Hero
Yes,

Send people such as yourself to instruct the likes of them at the RSS.  A Soldier of your quality would surely rise to the challenge of putting right the wrongs inflicted by those in Blandford!

Or am I going to hear the old rhetoric of 'I wouldn't go to Blandford If you paid me a million pounds...'?

OR................

Recruit people with a technical background, and half, no no, quarter the length of the course!

This seems to lead into the conversation on the other page. DOH!

OR.................

Do what we do with are soldiers, shorten the course (and compresss it with loads of other courses say capt and sqn comd des course!) and post them with trainning difficencies!! (This Tp Comd is not qualified to run a TN! etc..!)

I hear a job in ATRA for me coming!! H'MM EXXXXXCELENT

P

Penfold

CGS,

Whilst I would of avoided a posting at RSS in the past I would now like to go there as I for one realise the importance of decent, quality training.

That is despite the fact that RSS now seems to be run by civies deciding what should and shouldn't be on each course.

HMMMM,

Me thinks we have a wind up merchant in our mist'd here CGS.  As nobody in their right minds would say a comment aloud like that in public!!

So which RSTCC where you on then MR. PENFOLD if that really is your name???......?

I'd watch out or Danger Mouse might get on your case!!

Here we go, opinions about the Troopies course...begin.

1.  The course is actually pretty useful.  I moaned like mad when I was there that we were all taught far too much detail.  Once posted I saw that the more a young Troopie knows, the better he stands.

2.  The course is FAR too long.  Pack the lessons in, make em all work, get them back to their troops as fast as possible. Especially with the new system of returning to your regiment/squadron after the course.  Learn on the job, as that's the only way to learn.

3.  Don't use the Troopies as a rent-a-mob.  There will be some who want to drink all the time but some who wish to work quite hard and do well (this wasn't me by the way)  Let the inky swots do their own thing.

4.  errrrm

5.  thats it

CGS

War Hero
6.     Establish an Esprit d'Corps.  Not an elitist yob culture, but start by putting twice as many BLOODY GOOD instructors in the RSS.  We have had lots of good people there in recent years, now it's time to shut the 'Big Timers' up by giving them the posting order that they fear.

The only people who complain about the RSS are the type who would complain about being posted there.

I hope you aren't labelling me as a 'Big Timer' there CGS,  I will probably burst into tears.  

I think the School does an excellent job teaching the Troopies (point 1).  The instructors are good and if you pay attention on the course you can learn an incredible amount.  If you don't pay attention then that's your choice...

I agree that we need the very best instructors there but then that is always the case.  I would question the logic of posting people there who would then complain about it.  Nothing worse than being taught by someone who isn't interested in teaching.

Errrm, that's it again...

I'm gonna have to work on some better ways to finish these posts.

E

error_unknown

Ah, the dear old Troop Commander's course.

The most de-motivating experience of my career.  Pompous and smug Instructor officers, Red Tabs who wanted to bonk the girlies but couldn't be bothered to chat to the chaps (except when saying 'yes' to a drink at the bar) and SNCOs who didn't want to be there.

......and you know what?

During the whole course, not one bloody lesson on leading your first troop and being introduced to the soldiers and learning what makes them tick.  Sandhurst is Fantasyland where everything works (it should it's been there long enough!) and the soldiers are only a far off image in the background.  Also being based on the Infantry as a trg baseline doesn't help.  

That's not to say that the Troopies DS didn't constantly make condescending remarks about the soldiers to pretend they were such good - officers? leaders? managers? bean counters? electro-geeks? pointy heads?  What do we want our officers to be anyway?

If we have a problem keeping the boys/girls in then we should look at how we impart leadership and a sense of duty in a Corps comprising high quality soldiers with IQs that match their officers.

I'll just climb down from the soapbox now.

The Tp Comd's Cse - A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

What's a Dipole?

I beg to differ, having just attended the TA Tp Comds course - my only complaint was that it should have been longer.

Top course, top instructors learnt a great deal and now I know where to look/who to ask to find out the other things I need to know.

Trebles and beams all round!

CGS,

"Establish an Esprit d'Corps". You are absolutely right. I didn't join the Royal Corps of Signals, I joined my local TA unit, which happens to be R SIGNALS and of which I am proud to be a member. I did not really identify with the Corps until I attended the course at Blandford, and now I feel part of a larger body than just my Squadron and Regiment.

Cheers,
msr

E

error_unknown

Hey MSR,

If your strting point of reference is as a part-time oxygen thief then course its all going to appear Tops!

Complete waste of time and effort producing little more than a passing awareness of what it's really like to be in command at Tp level.  You only have to look at the product being delivered from the course.  It takes a good 2 - 3 years to beat that sort of crap out of them.

Rgds,

TT

i fear that Blandford is a waste of time
i have taught myself more Telecomms theory in the last 8 months than i was ever taught at Blandford in a year
if they can't teach the technical stuff then what hope do we have?
have had some really good troop officers but also had my fair share who have not had a clue, but wouldn't listen to us pond life below them

P

Penfold

Straight from the rumour tree - The course is being completely re-structured for those starting later this year!!

CGS

War Hero
... as are all Officer courses under the Review of Officer Career Courses (ROCC) study.

If you wish to know more, try ralking to DInfo(A).  I can give you a contact number if you PM me.

So What's a Dipole, when did you do the course?

We can then get a feel for who was there instructing you at the time and all might be revealed.

G  8)

Being an ex SCAM12 erector I had the pleasure to Instruct at The Royal School Of Signals Blandford as the new catterick building was being finished off.  I also worked on many Exercises with the potential Y of S, F of S and Troop commanders courses.  I can honestly say the young female officers worked harder than their male counterparts especially in the Ptarmigan wing.  

On the other hand when the newly educated Troop Commander returns to the unit some of them all of a sudden become comms experts!   A bit of advice to the young troopies  Listen to your troop SSgt Learn from him and look for the experts in your troop.  Gleen from them what you should have learnt in Blandford.  

Also get from behind your 386 SX 25 Laptop signed from the IS Section of your regiment get on the tank park get to know your troop then get down the bar and get the beers in.  Remember you learn more on the job, learn form you expert's and that could mean Sig Bloggs who has three Op tour medals.

NOW an IS OP (RAR RAR RELAY OP's) ;D

E

ex-dvr

Scam-man - hear what you are saying, but disagree with
Code:
learn form you expert's and that could mean Sig Bloggs who has three Op tour medals.  
I know plenty of 22 year men who never got an op medal, just depends where you are and the unit your in at the time of OP's.

It used to be Blandford based units who nearly always got the call 1st, but that was before yugoslavia and the likes. I should imagine there is still the same situation going on now, but I could be wrong.

The point I was trying to make was that a new troop commander straight from the school has broad brush skills in the comms systems we use.  So a signaler who has been in his trade for several years knows more than his troop commander whether he has a medal on not.

A troop commander should know his troops comms capabilities e.g. amount off links, nets, LAN's WAN's his kit can provide.  So who better to ask but the guy's who operate the equipment.  

Not to be flipent but most siggies who have been in for three or more years  look like Kenny Everit in his generals regalia.  Not knocking anyone without gongs as most of them are for buying CD's down town Banjaluka or Pristina.

Troopies need to look for their expertise then eventualy they will become experts them selves.

IS OP Ex SCAM Erector (RAR RAR RELAY OP's)

Latest Threads