Trolls

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
And just what is the official advice on how to deal with the ones that don't go away, and continue to be a nuisance?

Fugly said:
And just what is the official advice on how to deal with the ones that don't go away, and continue to be a nuisance?
Simple rule........ignore them.

We all know who they are, or we find out soon enough.

Ignore them....do not bite, they will go away.
Round we go again.

Here we go again!

Maninblack, usually they do, but in some cases, recent actions by admin have encouraged them to stay, even donating to the site ffs!

If someone has been ID'd as a troll, as with every other web forum on the net, they should be binned straight away. After all, there are over 40 mods to police the site, you'd think there would be no problems. If a troll is allowed to remain, they will be used for range practice. The onus is on admin to dispatch them promptly, not on us idiots not responding to them.

G

Goku

MIB, all very well in theory but in practise it just doesn’t work.

With over 25,000 members, trolls will always find someone who’ll bite.

We also have three trolls in particular (the two Chubb mongs and BB) who have been with this site for years.
They’ve been ignored, they’ve been flamed, they’ve had their account deleted, and they constantly return.

The only way to deal with trolls is for the MODs to delete/edit their posts and for the admins to delete their accounts.
For repeat trolls like Chubb and BB, this should be done as soon as they’re identified.

The_Lord_Flasheart_III said:
If someone has been ID'd as a troll, as with every other web forum on the net, they should be binned straight away. After all, there are over 40 mods to police the site, you'd think there would be no problems. If a troll is allowed to remain, they will be used for range practice. The onus is on admin to dispatch them promptly, not on us idiots not responding to them.
then why dont the mods initiate a troll badge, along the lines of the O2 thief badge. It cant be that difficult, can it?

bait the traps now!

Bedpan2zero said:
then why dont the mods initiate a troll badge, along the lines of the O2 thief badge. It cant be that difficult, can it?

bait the traps now!
It would appear the way forward. All too often posts are made in response to the Trolls without the benefit of knowing they are so (people being away, etc, coming back to a new breed of troll)
A 'Troll - Do not respond' tag would be easy to implement and would provide a better way for the members to identify these people.
Also (well, with PHPBB) these people can be assigned to a troll usergroup, much the same as mod group, admin group, etc and then these people can be locked to a forum, such as 'Troll Central' (easily created)

They can protest all they want in there, stamp up and down (and call Flashy a tw*t as much as they want) and nobody has to see them. With PHPBB you can even set it so they do not show to the other members of the membership, so in reality, after theyve been found out to be a troll, theyre no more a problem.

Im no guru on this particular software, but i'd be surprised if there wasnt a similar set of options for it.

All that would need the COs to initiate and control,(more work) but the mods would be readily able thru the mod channel to flag up trolls for controlling, as well as edit the forums to move troll posts outstanding to the troll central.
IP addresses could be checked by mods and admins for multiple account trolls maybe.. dunno.

Ideally we need 3 KG's of Napalm and an Address to deposit it, but it might be a start :?

Bedpan2zero said:

bait the traps now!
I've little experience of other internet forums, but, on those I have used, I've noticed "robust" moderation.

I am fairly indifferent to internet trolls and was shocked to find myself (after some discusssion) doing this:

bovvy said:
This is what I intend to send to the psychiatrist tomorrow morning (unless you reckon any amendments are needed):

"I am writing to you to express my concern at the behaviour and apparent vulnerability of this woman due to how she conducts herself on the internet. I have been a contributor to an internet forum called “British Army Rumour Service” with the URL www.arrse.co.uk for just over a year. It is an adult site, originally for serving and ex-serving members of HM Forces and some of it’s content is quite offensive and provocative.

I understand this woman had been making a nuisance of herself before I joined this website and the (understandable?) responses to her by some members are quite extreme. It seems she freely divulges personal details about herself to strangers. I have in front of me, on the screen, a copy of a letter, (partially blocked out), which looks authentic, from the Assistant Head of Psychiatry to another doctor (her GP?) typed on 9th March 2007. This was posted on the Army Rumour Service forum by someone who, I understand, had been sent the letter by the patient.

The letter states she was reviewed on the 7th March, after referral by her GP, and needs to be admitted for a short period of time. The letter states she demonstrates signs of DPD and DID, and did not seem to grasp the importance. It goes on to say that a Social Health worker should visit at least twice a week.

I understand she persistently “stalks” certain users of the site, has been banned on numerous occasions, but always returns,( her “username” since 5th April 07 being “lynx02”), freely divulges her address, phone numbers, family’s names addresses and phone numbers, medical details ...... I think the list is endless. It is the internet .... and some of this personal information has been re-worked or placed on “even more adult” websites. Some ignore her presence on the Army Rumour site and some abuse her mercilessly. Despite harsh abuse, she persists in returning to make bizarre and innapropriate posts.

I have serious concerns about this woman’s ability to maintain her own safety."

Yours faithfully

Edited to add: Thanks to IckleMissNawti's suggestion, I've printed off a copy of the doctor's letter, to enclose. It might have eliminated the need to summarise it, but, actually, it's hardly legible.
And, with respect, Bedpan, that sounds a bit like making a rabbit wear a collar saying "Myxomatosis", rather than just shooting it.

Edited to add: Whilst I wouldn't envisage any rapid improvement to this woman's mental state, I do consider that admin have a duty to try to keep her banned as "damage limitation".

bovvy said:
Bedpan2zero said:

bait the traps now!
I've little experience of other internet forums, but, on those I have used, I've noticed "robust" moderation.

I am fairly indifferent to internet trolls and was shocked to find myself (after some discusssion) doing this:

bovvy said:
This is what I intend to send to the psychiatrist tomorrow morning (unless you reckon any amendments are needed):

"I am writing to you to express my concern at the behaviour and apparent vulnerability of this woman due to how she conducts herself on the internet. I have been a contributor to an internet forum called “British Army Rumour Service” with the URL www.arrse.co.uk for just over a year. It is an adult site, originally for serving and ex-serving members of HM Forces and some of it’s content is quite offensive and provocative.

I understand this woman had been making a nuisance of herself before I joined this website and the (understandable?) responses to her by some members are quite extreme. It seems she freely divulges personal details about herself to strangers. I have in front of me, on the screen, a copy of a letter, (partially blocked out), which looks authentic, from the Assistant Head of Psychiatry to another doctor (her GP?) typed on 9th March 2007. This was posted on the Army Rumour Service forum by someone who, I understand, had been sent the letter by the patient.

The letter states she was reviewed on the 7th March, after referral by her GP, and needs to be admitted for a short period of time. The letter states she demonstrates signs of DPD and DID, and did not seem to grasp the importance. It goes on to say that a Social Health worker should visit at least twice a week.

I understand she persistently “stalks” certain users of the site, has been banned on numerous occasions, but always returns,( her “username” since 5th April 07 being “lynx02”), freely divulges her address, phone numbers, family’s names addresses and phone numbers, medical details ...... I think the list is endless. It is the internet .... and some of this personal information has been re-worked or placed on “even more adult” websites. Some ignore her presence on the Army Rumour site and some abuse her mercilessly. Despite harsh abuse, she persists in returning to make bizarre and innapropriate posts.

I have serious concerns about this woman’s ability to maintain her own safety."

Yours faithfully

Edited to add: Thanks to IckleMissNawti's suggestion, I've printed off a copy of the doctor's letter, to enclose. It might have eliminated the need to summarise it, but, actually, it's hardly legible.
And, with respect, Bedpan, that sounds a bit like making a rabbit wear a collar saying "Myxomatis", rather than just shooting it.
why waste a round, wringing their necks is quicker

It's easy to say "ignore the trolls" but when you live as I do, on one side of a river, with the pasture on the other, and keep goats - well that is easier said than done.

If this thread is in the "announcement" section, will it still appear in last 15? posts?
.............. YEP.

Fatbadge said:
bovvy said:
If this thread is in the "announcement" section, will it still appear in last 15? posts?
.............. YEP.
You talking to yourself, Bovvy?

First sign of madness 'n all that.. :wink:
Thought that's what it'd look like, Fatbadge. (20th sign, in my case) :mrgreen: :omfg: :crazy:

........ but, having done my little experiment, I thought I'd put the result.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
maninblack said:
Simple rule........ignore them.

We all know who they are, or we find out soon enough.

Ignore them....do not bite, they will go away.
Do NOT reply to this message. Obviously it is from a Troll :cry: