Trolls

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by maninblack, Apr 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Simple rule........ignore them.

We all know who they are, or we find out soon enough.

Ignore them....do not bite, they will go away.

2. Most do, the exception are still posting my luvver ........ :wink:

3. Ignore them until admin bans them? Seems like a good idea in theory.

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

And just what is the official advice on how to deal with the ones that don't go away, and continue to be a nuisance?

5. Round we go again.

6. Here we go again!

Maninblack, usually they do, but in some cases, recent actions by admin have encouraged them to stay, even donating to the site ffs!

7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I might just bombard my own PM box, then take myself outside. Just as productive.

8. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it

9. If someone has been ID'd as a troll, as with every other web forum on the net, they should be binned straight away. After all, there are over 40 mods to police the site, you'd think there would be no problems. If a troll is allowed to remain, they will be used for range practice. The onus is on admin to dispatch them promptly, not on us idiots not responding to them.

10. MIB, all very well in theory but in practise it just doesn’t work.

With over 25,000 members, trolls will always find someone who’ll bite.

We also have three trolls in particular (the two Chubb mongs and BB) who have been with this site for years.
    They’ve been ignored, they’ve been flamed, they’ve had their account deleted, and they constantly return.

The only way to deal with trolls is for the MODs to delete/edit their posts and for the admins to delete their accounts.
    For repeat trolls like Chubb and BB, this should be done as soon as they’re identified.

11. then why dont the mods initiate a troll badge, along the lines of the O2 thief badge. It cant be that difficult, can it?

bait the traps now!

12. It would appear the way forward. All too often posts are made in response to the Trolls without the benefit of knowing they are so (people being away, etc, coming back to a new breed of troll)
    A 'Troll - Do not respond' tag would be easy to implement and would provide a better way for the members to identify these people.
    Also (well, with PHPBB) these people can be assigned to a troll usergroup, much the same as mod group, admin group, etc and then these people can be locked to a forum, such as 'Troll Central' (easily created)

They can protest all they want in there, stamp up and down (and call Flashy a tw*t as much as they want) and nobody has to see them. With PHPBB you can even set it so they do not show to the other members of the membership, so in reality, after theyve been found out to be a troll, theyre no more a problem.

Im no guru on this particular software, but i'd be surprised if there wasnt a similar set of options for it.

All that would need the COs to initiate and control,(more work) but the mods would be readily able thru the mod channel to flag up trolls for controlling, as well as edit the forums to move troll posts outstanding to the troll central.
    IP addresses could be checked by mods and admins for multiple account trolls maybe.. dunno.

Ideally we need 3 KG's of Napalm and an Address to deposit it, but it might be a start :?

13. I've little experience of other internet forums, but, on those I have used, I've noticed "robust" moderation.

I am fairly indifferent to internet trolls and was shocked to find myself (after some discusssion) doing this:

And, with respect, Bedpan, that sounds a bit like making a rabbit wear a collar saying "Myxomatosis", rather than just shooting it.

Edited to add: Whilst I wouldn't envisage any rapid improvement to this woman's mental state, I do consider that admin have a duty to try to keep her banned as "damage limitation".

14. why waste a round, wringing their necks is quicker

15. It's easy to say "ignore the trolls" but when you live as I do, on one side of a river, with the pasture on the other, and keep goats - well that is easier said than done.