Trojan From Audio Files??

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Oct 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

These 'unsolicited audio files', they aren't the reason I keep picking up a key-stroke tracking Trojan after using ARRSE, are they? I have stopped opening the pics on the 'self-taken photographs' thread, which was keeping it at bay, but now I'm wondering...
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

It is extremely unlikely that anything like this is coming from us, are you sure this isn't some sort of false positive by an overzealous piece of anti-malware software?
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

That is a possibilty. It only happens on my work laptop, which is protected by McAfee, and yet the 'you have a trojan' notices come from something else,which asks me to download an upgrade to prevent further occurrences. As mother used to say 'I didn't come over on a banana boat', so I run McAfee to clean it all up. But I'm doing that every two or three days, and it seems circumstantially to come from viewing those pics on the 'self-taken' thread.

Doesn't happen on any desktops I use (several, of various ownerships) or my personal laptop.

As you say, probably not related, but unsolicited files are an area of worry, even if they are only shouty adverts.
  4. Bad CO

{Moved to a separate thread for purposes of clarity}

As I think you've already realised, the thing asking to download something else is almost certainly malware so I'd strongly advise not doing so!

If it is something from the self taken thread then I'm sure someone else would have similar problems - anyone? Given that it is only on one of your machines I'd suggest the problem is an infection on it (email?), or your work network, that isn't being adequately cleaned by McAfee. These things aren't perfect.

Why not post the message you get and see if someone can help?
  5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Next time it happens, I'll do just that, BCO. There's enough expertise here on ARRSE to sort it out, I'm sure.

Many thanks for your help!
  6. Those ads are a pain in the arse. Merrily working away with music playing in the background and some albino fireman ***** starts telling me how to stop heartburn.
  7. Bad CO

I'm just about to post a new thread which will provide some detailed instructions on identifying what is causing audio ads which should help us track them down.

Wait out!
  8. Sounds like someone needs a format.
  9. McAfee is half your problem mate.

Do you have to use it being works lappy or can you change it?
  10. Since "Trojan" was a record label in the heady days of black vinyl, at the same time "Trojan" was a septic make of condom which I, the then young cernunnos used to keep stashed, ready for use, between the said records.

In short, you might be on to something!
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Not allowed to change anything, install software, or do anything useful. Hence still using XP/IE6 ... You wouldn't think I worked for a software house ....
  12. Oh dear.

Is your IT dept full of nerds who just cant let go of XP and use macs to download things to their 'server' network in their bedroom at mums house?
  13. There you go.....

[​IMG] even says so on the lid!
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Nope. It's full of really clever geeks playing with all sorts of lovely techy toys.

But the cost of migrating the business functions like email is horrible and scary for so many thousands of people in a lot of countries, and no-one will pay for it.

The cobblers' children go unshod, the mechanic's car is an old shed, and the Software House's business systems are a steaming pile of wombat's doo. Plus ca change!
  15. Accountantist cnuts the lot of them!
    • Like Like x 1